“AQUAVINA CHARLOTTE, MISERABLE SERVICE” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Second Ward
Charlotte, North Carolina
“AQUAVINA CHARLOTTE, MISERABLE SERVICE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was so looking forward to my birthday dinner at Aquavina on Saturday, Sept. 29th. What a disaster! www.aquavina.com states the following: "Complimentary Valet service is available Monday through Saturday after 5pm, on College Street, between Stonewall & 2nd Street". Upon going to this location, there was no valet parking, so we parked in the parking garage below the restaurant for a $5 charge. Upon entering the restaurant we asked our waiter about the valet parking and he stated "there was no valet parking, but I will stamp a sheet of paper so you can be be reimbursed by the parking attendant when you leave." Then the waiter brought our water, and poured from a pitcher. Another couple said down a few minutes after us and they were asked by a different waiter if they wanted sparking water, bottled water or tap water. We were never given that option. After this, it was quite a while before our waiter even came back to take our order. The other couple who arrived after us ordered and received their food before we did. Once we ordered, my husband ordered filet mignon which came with asparagus. He asked to substitute the asparagus (which was only two pieces) for macaroni and cheese and the waiter said that would be fine. The meal came by someone other than our waiter and came with the asparagus. He advised the food server he asked for mac and cheese, so this person said he would get the mac and cheese. Several minutes later the server brought the mac and cheese and our waiter still had not been back to our table. In addition, we had asked for an extra napkins and that was never delivered, so my husband asked the server to bring one which he did. From the beginning to the end of our visit, we saw our waiter maybe three times., once to bring the water, once to take our order, once to bring the bill. He did visit our table only once during our meal to see if all was o.k. It was necessary to ask another waiter to bring a glass of wine. Then we received the check and there was an additional $7 charge for the mac and cheese. This was a substitution for the asparagus, not a side dish. No one ever mentioned an additional $7. We talked with the manager about this and in addition we discussed the non-existent service we had received. The manager brought us a corrected check with an $11 discount. The price for this meal was over $100 without the discount and without a tip. So we were more than ready to leave asap,. We return to our vehicle with our validated stamp for the parking refund. No attendant was to be found to refund our $5 parking charge. I did call and speak with the manager regarding this and we were told I could come back to the restaurant and he would refund the $5. Now really, would I want to re-visit this restaurant under any circumstances? NOT IN A LIFETIME!!! This is supposedly one of Charlotte's finest.....well our experience was not one of Charlotte's finest. For this type of so-called upscale restaurant, what we experienced was less than the service one would receive at McDonald's. My birthday dinner turned out to be a disaster.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Stc7275

Charlotte, North Carolina
“so-so food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The restaurant was a little hard to find. It located in uptown Charlotte. There are only a few tables so that can extend the wait time. The atmosphere was very nice although a little confusing. You do havethe option of sitting outside. I ordered the grilled chicken. I felt it didnt have much flavor and the serving size seemed a little small. I guess since was paying over $25 I was hoping to have some left to take home. My boyfriend hadthe steak which was very well flavored. They do tend to undercook. He ordered med rare and it was still pretty rare. The prices are a little high. The service was great and they do have an excellent wine list. The martinis looked pretty good too. Over all I would not go back.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wiickenburg, AZ
“Will go again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Great location, food and service. Ate outside on second floor patio. A little pricey but atmosphere and time spent there with friends and relatives was amazing. No pressure to leave once the meal was complete. Waitress was fantastic and very attentive.

Visited June 2012
Salisbury
“Insane prices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Some of the food is good, I will give them that. My risotto on both visits has been excellent and the spinach salad can't get much better...On our first visit the catch of the day (grouper) was wonderful...this time my salmon was a bit overdone, though. BUT...My boyfriend ordered a steak...a rather expensive $36 steak. And that is what he got. A Steak. No sides...no salad...nothing. He had to order a salad and potatoes separately as they were a la carte items...I have never been to a steakhouse where your steak came with NOTHING!!! Furthermore...he asked for tomatoes on his house salad and NO DRESSING...he got 4 tomato wedges covered in dressing...and then when our bill came...we noticed that there had been an extra charge for the tomatoes!!! Really??? When your bill for 2 is close to $100 and you have to pay extra for a tomato...right in the middle of summer when tomatoes are plentiful??? Come on Aquavina...!!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank P Y
Raleigh, North Carolina
“A hidden haven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

This place deserves a second glance!! It has changed from years before. The service is warm and friendly. The owner even came to the table several times! He was very professional and kind. The courtyard area is beautiful and a bit "tucked away". The crab fondue, lobster mac and cheese, and salmon was fantastic. Bottles of wine were fairly priced. Best dining experience yet in Charlotte. Music on the patio when we came on Friday.