“Amazingly level of restaurant”

Barrington's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Barrington's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #148 of 2,374 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Amazingly level of restaurant”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We are neighborhood of this restaurant, but have no chance to visit there until recently.
I arranged dinner with my wife for our 24th wedding anniversary at Barrington's. Everything is amazingly high level in this restaurant. I ordered Spanish red wine in today's menu. Floor lady was very honest. She said she had no experience with this wine, so she suggested me to taste it. It was great considering price. We ordered foie gras for starter, veal and soft shell crab for main.
Every ingredient was well prepared and perfectly cooked. We were amazed by very aromatic flavor from each dish. It was something miracle! We totally satisfied with food and drink.
We used to live in Japan, UK and US and had many opportunities to visit world famous restaurants in Tokyo, London,Paris and NYC. But I assure that Barrington's is equivalent or even higher level than world reputable restaurants.
My wife and I bitterly regret that we missed to visit this restaurant until now and decided that we shall try every dish from now on.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Henry M

Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Wonderfully arrogant and rude”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wide wanted to surprise me for my birthday. She had my dad come in from NY and had made a reservation on-line for Barrington's on Sunday evening for dinner yesterday evening. She spoke directly to someone at Barrinton's Monday evening to confirm the menu to make sure the lamb dish would still be available as she knows it is my favorite ~ which it was.
We were in Charlotte for a theater production yesterday and went directly from the theater to the restaurant. On the way over, my wife checked her phone messages and there was a message from Barrington's stating that they had canceled the reservation. My wife called immediately (as we are driving there) and spoke with Peggy. Peggy was quite rude in responding to my wife's inquiry stating that she had never called back to confirm the reservation and now they had no tables available (no apology for the mix up, just the fact that they didn't have any tables). Since we were only ~ five minutes from the restaurant we continued there to discuss with them face to face. Peggy was on the phone when I arrived, I spoke with two young ladies as they were preparing for the service that night. I waited ~ five minutes and Peggy made a few phone calls, did not acknowledge me, she was quite arrogant and not what I would expect of the manager of a reputed restaurant in the Phillips Place area.

I can tell you we will not ever eat at this restaurant as long as Peggy is part of the staff. The restaurant business is about customer service, she demonstrated no such skill.

We went down the road to Cafe Monte and had a wonderful dinner with excellent service.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank Scott J
“Food is tops”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

had a great birthday dinner for 8 on a Monday night. wonderful service, incredible food (surf and turf salad (excellent), flounder (awesome), chocolate desert (yum), good house pinot noir and another interesting red. i really love this place....they just need more space in the place!

• Visited April 2013
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Perfect Dining Experience Until the Sweet 16 Party Arrived”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Since I was in Charlotte for business, I went to Zagat to look up restaurants and found top marks for Barrington's. It was only 20-minutes from my hotel so I called for a reservation and was fortunate to get in. It is an intimate room with soft lighting and a small bar. Don't expect to walk in off the street and get a seat. From the moment I entered to the moment I left, it was a perfect dining experience, except for a raucous party, but I'll get to that in a moment.

The waitstaff provided excellent service, answering questions, giving me recommendations based on my likes and dislikes, allowing me to sample a potential choice of wine before deciding, and checking in on me without being obtrusive.

The meal was outstanding. I started with a half-portion of the portobello mushroom soup with fresh thyme, Hen of the Woods, roasted garlic and truffled whipped cream. It was rich and savory and just enough to allow me to move on to my main course. I asked what the most popular entree is and was told the roast chicken. Now I know why it's so popular. It was delicious. The skin, which I never eat, was irresistible -- thin, crackling and not overly fatty. The creamy mashed potatoes and wilted spinach were fine accompaniments, while I used several slices of excellent bread to savor every drop of the garlic pan sauce. Dessert was a raspberry filled "Pop Tart" with lemon ice cream, candied lemon zest and a shot glass of Hickory Farm organic milk to wash it down. Yum. Finishing with a cappuccino was a nice end to the meal, especially because the bill was under $60, a bargain for this quality of food and service.

Fortunately I was pretty well finished when a large family group came in for what appeared to be a combined birthday party for grandparents and a girl's Sweet 16. They were very loud, snapped more photos with flash in five minutes than the paparazzi, and spoiled the room's vibe. How they dealt with them I don't know because I headed back to my hotel.

On the opposite end of the scale were a quiet, sweet elderly couple, dressed to the nines, who must have been regulars as everyone knew them. Such familiarity, coupled with my own experience, told me I need to come to Charlotte again soon for another dinner at Barrington's.

• Visited March 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Small and intimate”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Barrington's is a small gourmet restaurant with delicious specials and a nice wine list. Reservations are a must which is an indication of it's excellence.

Visited July 2012

Been to Barrington's Restaurant? Share your experiences!