“Perfect Dining Experience Until the Sweet 16 Party Arrived” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barrington's Restaurant

Barrington's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Barrington's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #141 of 2,340 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Perfect Dining Experience Until the Sweet 16 Party Arrived”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Since I was in Charlotte for business, I went to Zagat to look up restaurants and found top marks for Barrington's. It was only 20-minutes from my hotel so I called for a reservation and was fortunate to get in. It is an intimate room with soft lighting and a small bar. Don't expect to walk in off the street and get a seat. From the moment I entered to the moment I left, it was a perfect dining experience, except for a raucous party, but I'll get to that in a moment.

The waitstaff provided excellent service, answering questions, giving me recommendations based on my likes and dislikes, allowing me to sample a potential choice of wine before deciding, and checking in on me without being obtrusive.

The meal was outstanding. I started with a half-portion of the portobello mushroom soup with fresh thyme, Hen of the Woods, roasted garlic and truffled whipped cream. It was rich and savory and just enough to allow me to move on to my main course. I asked what the most popular entree is and was told the roast chicken. Now I know why it's so popular. It was delicious. The skin, which I never eat, was irresistible -- thin, crackling and not overly fatty. The creamy mashed potatoes and wilted spinach were fine accompaniments, while I used several slices of excellent bread to savor every drop of the garlic pan sauce. Dessert was a raspberry filled "Pop Tart" with lemon ice cream, candied lemon zest and a shot glass of Hickory Farm organic milk to wash it down. Yum. Finishing with a cappuccino was a nice end to the meal, especially because the bill was under $60, a bargain for this quality of food and service.

Fortunately I was pretty well finished when a large family group came in for what appeared to be a combined birthday party for grandparents and a girl's Sweet 16. They were very loud, snapped more photos with flash in five minutes than the paparazzi, and spoiled the room's vibe. How they dealt with them I don't know because I headed back to my hotel.

On the opposite end of the scale were a quiet, sweet elderly couple, dressed to the nines, who must have been regulars as everyone knew them. Such familiarity, coupled with my own experience, told me I need to come to Charlotte again soon for another dinner at Barrington's.

• Visited March 2013

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Small and intimate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Barrington's is a small gourmet restaurant with delicious specials and a nice wine list. Reservations are a must which is an indication of it's excellence.

Visited July 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“What has happened to Barrington's?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We are regulars at Barrington's . We live six blocks away. Tonight, we were the first guests in the restaurant at 5:30. With a reservation. We were seated at the worst table in the restaurant, in the middle of the floor, although no other guests would arrive for 45 minutes and there would be several tables empty when we left 100 minutes later.

We waited no less than ten minutes to get someone to take our drink order. Literally, I was yelling across the restaurant at the three people at the bar who all just seemed to be angry at each other, but doing nothing. Well, the owner, who is mistaken as the hostess and food runner in previous entries, was studying the books. The two waiters, one of whom we like a lot, were talking on the phone and apparently reading a novel. But they had not interest in serving the one table in the entire restaurant.

The service was horrible all night. The food was the same - good, but there wasn't anything new or interesting on the menu. When we asked about the menu, the waiter said, "It's all new". HUH?

My husband thinks that there must be a problem - a fight among the wait staff and ownership? The whole evening was so unpleasant. All that passive aggressiveness is hard to hide in a teeny tiny restaurant. The frostiness, which is always present at this restaurant, was down right deep-frozen.

And the clientele that finally arrived? Mostly businessmen in their 60s and 70's spending time on their ipads. In a restaurant? Really?

I think it is time to move on for fine dining in Charlotte. Barrington's has turned into a really weird place.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SeenAlot
Charlotte, NC
“Outstanding food with intimate seating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Since Barrington's is very small, we made reservations a couple of weeks in advance for a Saturday night at 8:00 p.m. I entered our preferred date/time on their website, and they called me back the next day to confirm.

We arrived around 7:15 to have a drink at the bar, which seats maybe 7-8 people. Luckily, there was room, but it took quite awhile to put in our drink order because the woman who was making drinks also seemed to be the hostess and food runner. The check-in process there has always seemed a little chaotic to me, maybe even more so because it's such a tiny waiting area? The drinks - a dirty martini and an espresso martini - were small but solid.

We skipped an appetizer and went right for entrees after we were (fortunately) seated in a booth in the back corner. As others have said, the seating is tight. Our waitress was very fun and laid-back, which I appreciate in a "fancy" place.

I got the pork chop ($32) medium rare, and it came out... medium rare! I'm pretty sure this is only the second time a restaurant has ever cooked my pork chop correctly. I think they get scared and err on the side of medium. I also appreciated that it came out already sliced in medallions because I'm dangerous with a sharp knife and meat on a bone.

My fella couldn't decide between the flounder and the grouper, and our waitress said to go with the flounder ($35) hands down. I appreciate a waitress with an opinion! I'm not a fish-eater, but he said it was delicious, so I'll trust his judgment.

All in all, a great experience... I like a little more elbow room, but I'll deal with the "intimacy" to get a great meal!

• Visited January 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“My favorite resturant in Charlotte”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is the perfect place for date night! Make sure you make a reservation cause this cosy/tiny resturant fills up fast! The food is superb and the help are friendly and personable! If its a last minute situation sometimes they can feed you at the bar where you can watch all the delicious meals come out!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Barrington's Restaurant? Share your experiences!