“Perennial favorite never disappoints”

Barrington's Restaurant
Ranked #186 of 2,448 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have been going to Barrington's for years, and it remains at the top of our list of go-to restaurants when we are looking for something special in terms of a dining experience. My husband and I went there recently to celebrate our anniversary and the food, ambiance and service was excellent. Even on Monday night, the restaurant was full, so reservations are a must. We could not decide on what to order for starters, so our waitress recommended a few half servings so that we could sample a little of everything we had been eyeing. Mussels were very good - a little garlicky for my husband's taste, but he is sensitive to garlic. The gnocchi with veal ragu is always delicious, and we enjoyed the smaller portion as the dish is quite fillilng. I ordered the pork chop entree (served over polenta), which was highly recommended, and it was delicious. It was pounded and lightly breaded, so not to thick and very tender and moist. Flavor combination on this dish was really nice. As others have advised, do save room for dessert. We split the peanut butter mousse/chocolate cake dessert, and it was very good - not too heavy after a very filling two courses. We have traditionally ordered the chocolate pudding cake with ice cream that has been described here - and it too is delicious (if not a little heavier). We experienced great service - attentive (but not too attentive) - and we were not rushed at all despite a full restaurant.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

To have a great dining experience you need good food, good dinner companions and a great atmosphere. The atmosphere is what sets Barrington’s apart. It is very small and cozy. You have the feel of holding a dinner party in your home with servers and a private chef. We had a party of eight on a Thursday night. Sitting at a long table we had no problem conversing. I did not feel that the other tables were too close to be obtrusive. We were there for over two hours and while some reviewers have said service is slow, I did not feel rushed and enjoyed the leisurely evening. Some reviewers have said the staff was rude but I found them to be polite and professional. There is a time and place for an overtly friendly wait staff and I think that is their viewpoint. The food was very good but the ambience was the star attraction for me. We have long been fans of Good Food on Montford which has an entirely different vibe. It just depends on what you are in the mood for and who you go with.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Though small in size and you may have to wait beyond reservation times......the food is terrific. Creative entrees are most delicious. But, save room for deserts.....baked in individual pots and so worth the calories....

Reviewed July 14, 2012

If you are interested in a creative meal, expertly prepared, clearly with a passion and love for food, run to Barrington's. We enjoyed every morsel consumed. My husband is still talking about his rib eye! Definately 5 stars on meal, but 3.5 on service. Our waitress was efficient and friendly enough, but the floor manager was a bit too brisk for my tastes.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

My wife and I were searching for a smaller (non-chain) South Park area restaurant that served great food in a classy environment, and definitely hit the mark with Barrington's. While the website gave us the perception that this might be a bit too stuffy for our needs, we couldn't be happier that we selected it over Zebra and the Village Tavern. If you intend to go, do be sure to make reservations! Every table was taken during our visit.

Food-wise, the salad was fresh and inventive, the duck was delicious and the grouper was perfectly prepared. Even though we didn't really need it, the strawberry rhubarb crumble with vanilla bean ice cream was well worth the wait! While we did not try them, the boar chops seemed to have a lot of fans at the next table and it appeared that everyone in this small dining room was quite happy with their meal and service. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Barringtons for a special night out, whether for business or a date. It managed to work well for both sets of diners, as well as the PGA golfers who were also in town enjoying great food that night.

1  Thank TecG