“Great soul food”

Mert's Heart & Soul
Ranked #16 of 2,372 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: First Ward
Erlanger, Kentucky
“Great soul food”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I'm partial to side dishes, and this place was great. The very best macaroni and cheese I ever ate -- three kinds of cheeses and baked in the oven. The cornbread came out in large individual loaves for each guest and it was sweet as cake. My friend raved about the collard greens which contained bits of tomato. They also have an appetizer called Soul Rolls -- egg roll wrappers filled with seasoned rice, black-eyed peas and other veggies. Wonderful.

The atmosphere is fun, too

The only disappointment were the salmon cakes. There was nothing wrong with them, but the server had raved about them, and we didn't think they were worth raving about. But the restaurant is worth trying.

Nice prices, too.

Visited July 2014

• Korean first
Austin, Texas
“Down home cooking”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

At at the downtown location. Food was great and very affordable. I had salmon cakes, okra, cabbage german chocolate cake and beer......all for less than $20

Food was great, staff very friendly. Busy place at dinner, so you will probably have to wait.

• Visited July 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, poor service”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

My friends & I visited here recently. We ordered the fried catfish, salmon cakes & fried whiting. They also served cornbread with the meals, probably the best I've ever had! The main dishes & sides were very good. Our complaint is with the waitress/service. When we arrived the restaurant was mostly full although not very busy. Our waitress was not friendly & slow to respond. We practically waited 30+mins to receive our check. Hope this is not the norm.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Food & Service”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

At the recommendation of the hostess and Lamar, a Walgreens employee, I tried the sweet potato cake and it was delicious. I went back to the restaurant for additional meals and they were all excellent.

Visited July 2014
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Great Food!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This place has some of the best food around. The menu gives you plenty of options and the prices are reasonable. I enjoyed the salmon cake dinner. They were great with a spicy kick. The cornbread that comes with the meal was very good. I also enjoyed the coconut cake that was truly made from scratch with love :). This is a place worth trying if you are looking for a good home cooked soul food meal.

• Visited July 2014