“Business Outing”

Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: First Ward
Cross street: Corner of College and 5th Sts.
Description: Blue Restaurant is a sophisticated restaurant that offers flavors from around the Mediterranean region. Our multicultural menu will take your taste buds on a whirlwind tour. prepare to experience a Moroccan Tagine, Whole Roasted Mediterranean Sea Bass or a Tenderloin a la Blue. as you travel around the menu, you will be delighted with familiar dishes and excited by others you have yet to explore.
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I recently went to this restaurant on a business trip. I thought the service was a little slow, but we were with a fairly large group. The food was good and the wait staff was very responsive to any questions. This would be a good spot for anyone staying in downtown

1  Thank Derek R
There are newer reviews for Blue Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed December 29, 2013

we went here prior to goignt o a show in the Belk theater. The first question by the exccellent waitstaff was what time did we want to finsih dinner by, so as to maximise our time in the resturant. And he was spot on time, we were able to enjoy a leisurly dinner complete with desserts and finish right on time, The service was exceptional. The place is an elegant uscale resturant located mintues from the theater
For drinks I had the signature Blue mediterranean martini delicous. teh wine menu was extensive offering full bottles of wines from all over the world including a generous selecion from local and USA wineries. The fault there however was a VERY narrow selection for wines by glass and I didnt see any half bottles offered
For the food we had 2 appetizers, Hudson valley foie gras and a she crab soup. They both tasted excellent and the foie gras was expertly preparred ( and paired with poached pear), HOWEVER the soup came less than hot, cool was the word used. It tasted great just wasnt hot eneough.
I dont usually mention bread in the reviews but when you get artisan breads preparred fresh, and serrved with walnut,cranberry butter, it does get a deresved mention
For our main courses we went with the chicken tagine and beef tenderloin. The beef was prepaired perfectly ( medium rare, with hot pink center) well seasoned. The star of the meal however was the chicken. seasoned with ras el hanut and a fire hot harrisa sauce served in the tagine, with plenty of figs, apricots, root veg, onions and lemons and chick peas. very complex flavors, and more than enough food . There were 2 full chicken quaters in each serving, and if we werent going out i wouldve taken home the leftovers.
We had a sticky toffe pudding and hot chocolate lava cake for desserts, bot were done as expected and very tastey.
Overall this place is great for a night out, in an elegant setting with excellent service. I wish we couldve stayed for the jazz ensemble and enjoyed more of thier extensive martini menu.

1  Thank tsanat
Reviewed December 18, 2013

There were eight of us on this overnight trip to Charlotte. We had no idea what restaurants were available around our hotel but we soon found out! The hospitality hostess at the hotel gave us a handful of cards, each describing a different restaurant. We all agreed that there was not a restaurant around us that served Mediterranean and so the Blue Restaurant & Bar was our choice. It was nothing like we expected, it was beyond our expectations. First of all, we showed up with no reservation. We waited maybe 10 minutes while the hostess set a table. We were seated and our waiter, who was fabulous, by the way, showed up quickly and for the entire dining experience was attentive and accommodating. Everyone of us ordered something different from the others and we were all extremely pleased… well, except for one. Our friend thought she would be receiving something entirely different than what was placed in front her. She felt the description was a bit misleading. Once again our waiter stepped up to the plate by offering her something else but you know how it goes, when you're disappointed nothing else seems appetizing. However, our friend took it in stride with an effervescent smile and attitude… and… the waiter did the right thing by not charging for the meal. All was good in the restaurant world and we walked away happy. The icing on the cake was that the waiter called the limo service from the hotel and within a few minutes, we had a ride back to where we knew that we would rest well and enjoy the remainder of the evening. We all felt blessed.

1  Thank Deborah K
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Had dinner in this restaurant on Friday evening. We had a little issue in that it appeared that the hostess did not mention to the server that we had been seated. We were seated for what seemed like a very long time before anyone came by....not a good first impression. However the flavor of the food was very good. I had the swordfish which was one of the best I had ever eaten. We had a cheese appetizer that was equally as excellent. Desert was also very good, however kinda puny for the cost. Over-all I'd recommend this place. Nice atmosphere--it was also nicely decorated for the Christmas season.

2  Thank Playa-Del
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I had dinner last week. Had the grouper. This was a business dinner. About an hour later I was in my hotel room and started puking. I can only think it was something I ate at the restaurant. I missed my meeting in the morning. If I go again, I will not have the grouper. Other than getting sick, the restaurant was very nice. Food tasted good. Service was good.