“Good but not great”

Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: First Ward
Cross street: Corner of College and 5th Sts.
Description: Blue Restaurant is a sophisticated restaurant that offers flavors from around the Mediterranean region. Our multicultural menu will take your taste buds on a whirlwind tour. prepare to experience a Moroccan Tagine, Whole Roasted Mediterranean Sea Bass or a Tenderloin a la Blue. as you travel around the menu, you will be delighted with familiar dishes and excited by others you have yet to explore.
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I want to give this restaurant 4 circles but I can't. The appetizers we had were mediocre at best. The calamari was just dumped in a bowl - no presentation at all. The peppers in it were just small chopped bits. The scallops were strongly seared (it does say that they are seared) and really had no flavor. On the plus side their grouper entree was delicious and the martinis are definitely a signature item worth indulging.
The atmosphere is good and there is live music on Friday (starting around 9 or so). I would go back and go to the bar but probably not dine there again.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was really a nice spot for a date. The food is good, a bit pricey but nothing I felt was outrageous compared to the food we ordered. The specials were really special and worth ordering. The thing that impressed me the most was that even with the open arrangement, you still felt like you were in a private table. The tables around you were not crowding and you were not hearing other people's conversations.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I've eaten at Blue many times and it is so consistent! I was there recently and ate at the bar with my husband. The bar tender was very attentive. The Chilean Sea Bass is the best! I always say that I'm going to get something new but I always get the sea bass. The Blue is my go-to place when entertaining guests because I know it is going to be a great expererience.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The concierge at the Ritz suggested this restaurant and as it was within walking distance, we decided to try it. The restaurant had 4 tables on a Wednesday evening after Christmas and we were a little worried upon arrival. However, once Scott started our service, all our worries were erased. We shared a salad and the grouper- amazing! We then had the sticky toffee pudding for dessert and oh my!- Awesome!
Definitely a must return the next time we are downtown Charlotte!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Have visited Blue for dinner twice over the past year and have had a mixed experience. Food and drinks were wonderful the first visit, but service was slow and rather impersonal. The lighting was too bright and felt a bit like a cafeteria. The second visit, we had excellent, personable service. The atmosphere was great. Unfortunately, the food was just ok. Lamb was overcooked and had to be sent back. Management made a solid effort to remedy the situation and should be commended for their recovery.

I really want to love the place, perhaps third time is a charm...worth trying again.