“Funky Pizza Place”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This review is in reference to Charlotte's Ballantyne location. The interior makes this pizza place quite memorable with the giant mushroom that looms over the floor along with the upper-balcony with small tables and funky chandeliers. The colors are garish, but divine. The balloon artist working during our visit was really great with kids.

Service was timely, but the server had no idea what the Caparzo Sangiovese was when I asked for a glass (probably had never heard it pronounced outloud before). I have added it to my list of yummy wines. I also wanted to order their Holy Shiitake Pie which was on the website menu, but had been taken off the print menu. The server gladly checked to see if they could still make it. The pizza I got did not disappoint, but cearly lacked a few ingredients as it seems no other menu items call for them. The garlic aioli sauce is the reason I will visit again.

My husband's Mighty Meaty pizza also hit the spot. The crust here is thinner, so a 10-inch pie is just right for one person with a hearty appetite. We had also tried a small order of the fresh dough pretzels with garlic butter and parmesean as an appetizer, but sadly, the bread was so hard as to barely be chewable. We should have sent them back, but that would have interferred with the timing of the rest of the meal.

All restaurants have off days, but all I can say, is that our visit was satisfying and we will return.

JeriWB.com Teacher Writer Traveler

Reviewed May 8, 2012

So their pizza's are ok, but they should take the sandwiches off the menu. Ordered a sandwich was uneatable! Sent it back for a different one. One that required no cooking... still took about 20 min. Finally came out without a side item. So we just got it togo. The side salad is made with iceberg lettuce - gross! The owners need to go eat at Brixx then re-think their menu. I was sent a gift card for our issues but the place is not even worth a free meal.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

This review is for the Selwyn Ave Location in Myers Park...

Went here based on the reviews on the Social Media outlets like Yelp. Boy, were WE in for a shock when we went to the Myer's Park location on Selwyn. For some strange reason, we were expecting an "adult" upscale pizza place. But when we got there, it was laden with TONS of children and we both were reminded immediately of Chucky Cheeses (in atmosphere, not food). And do NOT get me wrong! Families and children are sacred and they have to eat also, but it's just we were NOT expecting this when we walked in.....

We thought about running out, but decided what the heck, we're here, let's try the food. So we did. At least they have a good beer selection, and many on draft. Yeah! I needed it to quell the seemingly thousands of screaming kidlets running amok.

So we ordered 2 different pizzas as is our custom as my wife and I like different things on our pizza. So after eating them, we were both "underwhelmed" for what we got for what we paid for. The pizzas were good, but nothing great considering the money we paid. Total bill was almost $60 for 2 pizzas, 2 glasses of wine and 2 beers. Pretty steep for pie, wouldn't you say?

Overall, they do have a good product and nice beers. But, when you can drive a few blocks away to Portofino's and have AWESOME (NY-style thin) pizza for less, then why come here? And at Portofino's, chances are you'll have a much more intimate time than you will at Mellow Mushroom.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I went with a friend for lunch and was excitedto have a table that had an interactive table top that you can watch videos, play games check out the menu.. The service was great and the manager checked on us during our lunch.. The poor rating came from the pizza it was just okay and the 2nd piece was left on my plate.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

This is one of our favorites. It gets crowded at times, but worth the wait.