“Best in Charlotte”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Spoon's is, and has been for decades, the best place in Charlotte for Eastern North Carolina style barbecue. Food and service are consistently good. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

then this is your place in Charlotte. Recently relocated to the area, but have a long standing relationship with the tangy-barbecue. I dropped by yesterday to get some "to go," and will definitely be back. The meal consisted of the pulled-pork, slaw, baked beans, and, of course, hush puppies. All of it was very good. The service was friendly since it is a family-run restaurant. It may seem a little pricey ($24 and change for the meal I described), but they packed my "to go" tightly so I didn't feel like I was slighted. Highly recommend.

I would caution that many of the reviews are based on their preference for/against the vinegar-based sauce. If you've never had it, give it a shot. If you have and don't like it, try something else on the menu or stay away.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

First of all, service was really fast and the staff are very friendly. The portions were small for our taste, but we weren't hungry afterwards.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

This is not what I consider real barbecue, but that's just because I like sauce, not vinegar.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

The pork BBQ was good, no doubt. However, you MUST have acquired a taste for Eastern NC BBQ, which is HEAVY in a VINEGAR sauce. I personally love the traditional sweet-style Southern BBQ. Now this is good pork-flavored BBQ. But I could only eat just so much of the vinegar. The portions were surprisingly small, as the sides were good but smaller than most BBQ joints. Overall, not bad. But there is MUCH better out there. If you love Eastern NC BBQ, you'll probably like this place much more than I did.