“Excellent food, fabulous dessert, and flawless service.”
Review of Upstream

Upstream
Reserve with OpenTable
Upstream is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 2,386 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Fairview Road
Description: Craving fresh, day boat seafood and sushi? Upstream, located in the heart of the bustling South park area at Phillips Place, offers guests an innovative menu created by Executive Chef, Tom Dyrness. With a list of awards, including the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, The Dirona Award, Zagat and being named one of the “best new restaurants in the country” by Esquire’s John Mariani, Upstream is the place to have a spectacular dining experience whenever dining in Charlotte.
Simpsonville, South Carolina
“Excellent food, fabulous dessert, and flawless service.”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We read the reviews and selected Upstream for lunch because my very English Mum loves really good fish, and she knows her fish! We drove here from Greenville, SC where there is excellent food but Upstream has some of the best fish we've ever had. My husband had the noodle bowl with cod. It came beautifully served with Asian vegetables, soba noodles, and a perfectly cooked LARGE piece of cod...absolutely delicious. I had trade a bite of my lunch to get a bite of his and it was great, he teasingly "swooned" over his meal. I had the Chinese chicken salad which was large, full of lovely slices of moist, real chicken, not anything canned. Loads of fresh greens, baby asparagus, carrots, and crumbly noodles served in a light soy dressing. Absolutely divine! Now my Mum selected the fresh trout which came with her favorite, real mashed potatoes, and served with green beans. She lingered over her lunch, savored every bite, and scraped the plate clean. She said the trout "was perfect" and she was so full she skipped dessert. But not me!! My hubby and I shared a mixed berry cobbler served with vanilla bean ice-cream. Good thing I love him else I would not have shared that dessert! Served warm, loads of blueberries and blackberries, crumbly topping...YUM! Service was flawless yet never intrusive. This is a beautiful restaurant and deserves 5 stars. We will DEFINITELY be back!

• Visited August 2013

Greenville, North Carolina
“surprisingly good”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Attended a business dinner at Upstream this week and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of seafood being that we are 4 hours inland. I had the grouper and it was excellent. Nice wine selections, service was flawless. Look forward to going back soon.

Visited July 2013
Charlotte
“Excellent Seafood!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

One of our regular dining spots in Charlotte. We enjoy dining outside and it is nice and quiet there, inside is bustling. Service is always good, we love the Oysters, the Mussels, and the Seabass! The appetizers and desserts are delicious too! The have a really nice wine selection and our server recommended a fabulous Sauvignon to complement our dishes. The only negative is that they do not serve Wild Salmon, even now that it is in season, they still have the Scottish (farmed) Salmon on the menu. Not much swimming "Upstream" for those farmed fish!

• Visited July 2013
Fort Mill, South Carolina
“Best seafood in Charlotte”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been to the restaurant several times in the last 6 months. I have ordered various seafood dishes and sushi each time. The appetizers are all very tasty. My favorites are calamari and mussels. The mussels are accompanied in a smoked tomato broth that is a house specialty you should not pass-up. The salads are filled with vegetables and greens grown from local farmer gardens and delivered fresh. For example you could savor the taste the earthly beets, both red and gold. The seafood is fresh, well prepared, and cooked to perfection. The sides are unique and delicious.
The renovated bar area is very comfortable and provides viewing of the sushi bar chefs as well as the wall decorations and subtle lighting.
The waiters were very knowledgable and attentive to our any needs.
Management was cordial and friendly.
Like it's name Upstream is upstream on the scale of best restaurants in the Charlotte area.

• Visited July 2013
Staunton, Virginia, United States
“wonderful happy hour”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Great food, great drinks, great service. I love sushi and the selection is good, for a good value. Waitstaff was attentive and atmosphere was pleasant.

Visited July 2013

Been to Upstream? Share your experiences!