“Best mussels!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Upstream

Upstream
Reserve with OpenTable
Upstream is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 2,351 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Fairview Road
Description: Craving fresh, day boat seafood and sushi? Upstream, located in the heart of the bustling South park area at Phillips Place, offers guests an innovative menu created by Executive Chef, Tom Dyrness. With a list of awards, including the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, The Dirona Award, Zagat and being named one of the “best new restaurants in the country” by Esquire’s John Mariani, Upstream is the place to have a spectacular dining experience whenever dining in Charlotte.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best mussels!”
Reviewed February 19, 2008

Best mussels!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

charlotte, nc
“Best seafood in Charlotte”
Reviewed February 18, 2007

My wife and I usually seek out seafood restaurants when we travel. Upstream is tops in elegance and sophistication of its menu. The Pan-Asian dishes are the best. Prices are comparable to 4 and 5 star seafood restaurants in other cities. Don't come expecting fried seafood. And if it offends you to be asked not to wear shorts or flip-flops, go to Captain D's! In my view, it is not "snobbish" to expect customers to dress in a respectful manner.

Charlotte, NC
“Three Strikes - You're Out!”
Reviewed January 29, 2006

I love dining out and my husband is a chef so we enjoy the full experience of service and taste. We will spend hours in a restaurant and cost is not an option. We usually go to Blue, but decided to go back to Upstream for an anniversary dinner. We had been once before and had lovely service and meals. We sat at the bar and had drinks before dinner. The bartender handed us the menu to peruse. We decided on a Kobe beef and shrimp surf and turf. Looked great! We got to out table and so far so good. But that is when it all went down hill. Our waiter took forever to get to the table. He finally did and seemed to want to rush us along. We explained that we would like to order course by course and take our time. He was not pleased. We ordered wine, but since it was a moderately priced bottle he acted like we ordered sewer water and treated us like less than important. There are two waiters per table, but I couldn't tell you about the other server because he never even stopped by our table once. They both seemd to fawn all over a table with three women all night leaving us to pour our own wine and stare at empty plates for extended periods of time. When I ordered the scallop appetizer the waiter told me that it was only one scallop and not worth the money. It was a crude remark that I'm sure the chef and manager would not want to hear. If I want to pay $12 for one scallop then I shouldn't be told not to. My husband's tuna appetizer came, but was missing the caviar. When the waiter finally came back he acted like he must have eaten it off the top or something since he was reluctant to take the dish away. Instead of just apologizing and removing the dish he seemed to question my husband until he pointed it out on the menu. The manager brought the dish back out and was courteous. After the appetizer I had put my knife, which I had used on the plate to be removed. The server took it off my plate and put the dirty knife back down on the table and told me to "hold on to it." I put it there to get a new one! A good restaurant will replace the silver after each course and not expect the guest to reuse it! When we ordered the surf and turf we were told that that was an old menu at the bar and they didn't have the Kobe beef anymore. We were disappointed, but took up the menu and saw they had a NY Strip and shrimp surf and turf and ordered that- the waiter then said they were running a ribeye with that dish for the same price. This is information that should have been given with the specials so we would be informed when making our entree choices. And a ribeye is certianly different than a NY strip and they should have adjusted the price. I had a steak and it was very good, but the potatoes on the side tasted like they hadn't been washed or had been rolled in sand! They were very gritty. When I told the waiter he said that he had "never heard that before" and it was "strange." The creme brulee left a lot to be desired - in a shallow dish with the thickest crust of sugar ever. It was good custard but I had to scrape all the sugar off to eat it so I wouldn't break my teeth. The waiter was bad, but the food and overall running of the restaurant left a lot to be desired. We won't be back.

2 Thank ChaucerLady
Durham, NC USA
“Well worth the $”
Reviewed December 26, 2004

Have eaten here four times now for dinner and a few times at lunch. Food and Service always excellent. Last night we had the six course Chef's tasting menu for the second time. It was so good a few months back we thought this time couldn't measure up. Well, it did. The creativity of the dishes combined with ultra fresh ingridients and fabulous service make this a dining destination. Thanks to the entire staff at Upstream who all do an incredible job.

7 Thank NC..BANKER
North Carolina
“Great for seafood and sushi with attractive wine list”
Reviewed October 26, 2004

I have enjoyed several lunches, dinners and one brunch at Upstream. The food has ranged from good to excellent, mostly excellent. I do love their seafood bisque, trout, etc. I'm not really into Asian fusion cuisine or sushi, but there are plenty of more "mainstream" choices at Upstream. I like the atmosphere, service, and good wine selection. Wines are chosen to pair with seafood and sushi. Prices are reasonable for the quality of the food and service. I will continue to make a visit to Upstream part of my visits to Charlotte.

5 Thank wineisfine