“Great Food but Very Loud”
Review of Upstream

Upstream
Reserve with OpenTable
Upstream is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 2,372 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Fairview Road
Description: Craving fresh, day boat seafood and sushi? Upstream, located in the heart of the bustling South park area at Phillips Place, offers guests an innovative menu created by Executive Chef, Tom Dyrness. With a list of awards, including the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, The Dirona Award, Zagat and being named one of the “best new restaurants in the country” by Esquire’s John Mariani, Upstream is the place to have a spectacular dining experience whenever dining in Charlotte.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Food but Very Loud”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The food is excellent, the decor is as well... however they need to seriously invest in sound dampening. When the restaurant is packed... it's almost impossible to hear your guests across the table.

• Visited January 2012

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have lived in Charlotte a long time and Upstream was always a great restaurant. We went a few days ago for my son's birthday and it has really changed. Almost everything is asian, and there's nothing wrong with that at all but there is no traditional seafood as there once was. If you want scallops, no. If you want shrimp, one choice. I ordered the crab cakes and they were marginal at best. The salmon was good. It is like they try to be over the top and it just doesn't work. the french fries (with truffle oil!) were so disgusting, I have never tasted anything that bad in a restaurant. We eat out alot and have been to every fine dining restaurant in Charlotte and this was a disappointment especially considering the prices. It is expensive and not very good. If you want good seafood in Charlotte go to McCormick and Schmick's.

• Visited December 2012
Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States
“Delicious Seafood not at the coast”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I am normally very hesitant about seafood that's not at the coast. I really do not like anything with a fishy taste. I went to Upstream with co-workers for a holiday luncheon, and was pleasantly surprised!
To start, we ordered the Tower, which includes mussels, calamari, and crab cakes. The mussels had a great spicy sauce, and the calamari was truly the best I've ever had! I don't care for crab cakes, but my co-workers loved them. We also ordered shrimp cocktail appetizers, and I was impressed withthe amount of shrimp that comes on it. Usually restaurants give you five little shrimp for a shrimp cocktail. These shrimp were 3-4 inches long and there were seven on a plate. They were steamed perfectly and served with a fresh and yummy cocktail sauce.
For my entree, I ordered the Grilled Shrimp Salad. It was not only beautiful on the plate, but extremely tasty. The shrimp were grilled to perfection, seasoned with a fantastic blend of spices. The salad had fall greens, avacado, goat cheese, and a citrus dressing. The flavors went extremely well together. I did not save room for dessert, but the apple cobbler and cheesecake looked very good on the plate. The service was impeccable, and we were well taken care of.
This was definitely a great experience at a restaurant to which I normally wouldn't go. I will return to try more menu items.

• Visited December 2012
Cooper City, Florida
“Diverse menu and quality dining”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Upsteam is a upscale restaurant in the popular Southpark area of Charlotte. It has been in the area for quite some time as other restaurants have come and gone. Upstream's menu is a little more diverse than some of the higher-end chains in the area. The wine list is good quality without being over-priced. The ambiance is lively yet not so loud that you can't have a normal dinner conversation. Service was good. My local friends tell me the consistency has been great over the years.

• Visited November 2012
North Augusta, South Carolina
“Surprise”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We enjoy dining at Upstream every time we visit Charlotte, but this time we had a real surprise! My husband felt like steak and ordered the rib eye with peppercorn sauce. What a surprise! It was wonderful. After my bento box (always good) I still had room for a few tastes of his steak - tender and delicious.

• Visited October 2012

Been to Upstream? Share your experiences!