“Really great Italian food ”
Review of Mama Ricotta's

Mama Ricotta's
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama Ricotta's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 2,625 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus #6 from uptown stops directly across the street from the restaurant.
Description: From the Wine Spectator Award to "Best Italian Restaurant" from Zagat, Mama Ricotta's Italian Restaurant brings to life the award-winning vision of owner Frank Scibelli. With a long, proud reputation built on authentic recipes, made from the freshest of ingredients and prepared by the finest culinary minds in the South, Mama Ricotta's restaurant is the premier Italian dining destination in Charlotte. "Upscale homestyle" is our style, and we love to bring it to you, again and again. Begin your adventure with a warm Goat Cheese and Mascarpone Dip served with grilled crostini, and then move into the warm freshness of our Penne Alla Vodka, tossed in a spicy cream tomato sauce. Or, let the subtle flavors of our Pollo Carciofi delight even your most discriminating of tastes. Our commitment to freshness is one of our most valued traditions - we even house-make our mozzarella! With nearly two decades of success, we've made it our goal to bring you only the best, with our best.
Reviewed March 22, 2017 via mobile

We arrived for dinner and were greeted by our waiter, Ben. He recommended the appetizer with goat cheese and mascarpone as well as the Penne ala vodka with chicken. We had both and were amazed at how delicious everything was. The appetizer cane with like 8 large slices of toasted bread. Normally that would feed our entire family, but it was so good we ate most of it between the 2 of us. The entree was a large portion and we ended up bringing at least 1/2 of it home with us. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Leslie G, Guest Relations Manager at Mama Ricotta's, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2017

Thanks for mentioning our server Ben! The Goat Cheese and Mascarpone dip is definitely a great choice. Visit us again soon and try out more menu options!

Reviewed March 21, 2017

Although we have eaten take-out before, this was our first experience dining at Mama Ricotta's. We had excellent service and food. We shared 2 pizza but I am sure there are many other items on the menu i could have easily selected!

The pizza's were properly cooked and excellent...no scrimping on toppings.

Thanks for the wonderful five star rating! We are glad you enjoyed our wood-fire oven cooked pizza! Come back and dine with us soon!

Reviewed March 20, 2017

That is what they want us to believe by serving a Tortellini that looks like spaghetti, but calling it Tortellini. Tortellini is not round! Really?!

I want to like this restaurant. I have tried to like this restaurant. I just do not understand the top ratings it receives. I went here a couple of years ago. Not good. I decided to give it another chance. Thought maybe it was an "off night" and we had a large party. It was the same last week as it was three years ago - bla... But I always say look at the "date" of a review. Things can always change both for the good and the bad.

First, one person ordered Tortellini. It came out and it looked like spaghetti. It was sent back. She said I ordered Tortellini. They said this IS Tortellini. In what Italy? Have never seen a Tortellini that looks like spaghetti. Flavor lacking.

Second, service is lacking.

Third, menu is limited. No outstanding "authentic" Italian choices, but I am not sure they would understand authentic Italian when they serve a spaghetti looking Tortellini!

Fourth...we will not return.

3  Thank Beth H
Leslie G, Guest Relations Manager at Mama Ricotta's, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2017

Hi Beth! We our sorry to hear about your most recent experience with us. We do not have Tortellini on our menu. We do have the Tonarelli Carbonara, which is a pasta that cooks out to be like a fatter spaghetti. Can you please contact me at fsfoodgroup@gmail.com so I can personally discuss your experience with you. Please know that we will use this information to better educate our team. I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed March 10, 2017

My friend from out of town wanted Italian. I had visited Mama Ricotta's before but I could not enjoy it because it was for business so I suggested Mama's. The did not fail in the least bit. He enjoyed the veal marsala. I had the tomato and mozzarella salad. The service was good. The dessert was heavenly. We did not have a wait for the table on a Saturday night. I am definitely returning.

1  Thank lavish l
Stephanie K, Guest Relations Manager at Mama Ricotta's, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2017

We are glad to hear that you and your friend had a great time with us last week. We will pass on your feedback to the staff at here at Mama's. Hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed March 8, 2017 via mobile

We met some friends for dinner last night. I will be honest. Mama Ricotta's has been a "go to" for quite a while. The food was fine and the meatballs are to die for. But...the service was just not that good. The server ignored us repeatedly and we had to ask other servers to help us twice. The restaurant was not that busy. The server was inattentive and clumsy. He kept reaching across me and at one point, nearly hit me in the head with a dirty plate. Luckily I ducked out of the way. This is the second time I have experienced bad service at this restaurant...and I am a fan. Do better, please.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. What you experienced is not our norm. Please accept our apologies for not delivering the best possible food to you and your guest. Would you please contact me at comments@fsfoodgroup.com as I would like to personally discuss your experience? Know that we will use this information to educate our team. Look forward to hearing from you soon.