“A Notch Above”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 2,404 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Fourth Ward
Cross street: 5th Street
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business meeting, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our team has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of the Uptown Financial District just blocks from the Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte Convention Center, and Time Warner Cable Arena.
Fort Mill, South Carolina
“A Notch Above”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

This place is truly a notch above. Great atmosphere. Great service. Great Food!

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Experience, but be prepared to splurge.”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I visited the Capital Grille for the 1st time, after talking about it many a times before, price always being the reason we vied for a different option. We finally both caved and figured we'd give it a try.
Disclaimer: When you eat here, you simply have to forget about how much you're spending, because if you think about it, you'll probably be sick to your stomach.
First I will say the food was very good. I ordered the Lobster Bisque ($11 per cup), which was by far the best thing I ate that night. The soup had large chunks of lobster meat, including the knuckles and was super tasty. Absolutely pricey, but it was delicious.
For dinner my wife ordered the Kona crusted bone-in sirloin which was delicious. The Coffee rub really added a different dimension to the steak. I ordered the tenderloin and lobster tails...honesty my dish was ok, but for the price, I definitely felt it was not worth it. Our dishes were $43 and $51 respectably. Also a big thing to remember is that side dishes are not included...it's definitely a huge bummer considering how much the meals are. Each side dish is about $9, with one of our side dishes being the lobster mac and cheese being $15. Honestly, I found the Lobster mac disappointing. The macaroni was more cream/milky than it was cheesy and it just didn't seem like it was melded together. Pasta noodles in a cream sauce with breadcrumbs and some lobster here and there. I definitely felt it was the most disappointing part of the dinner.
For dessert we had Creme Brûlée which was very good. ($9)
The service we had was excellent. Our server was Jason Wiggs and he did a fantastic job making sure we had a lovely evening. I will say that some of the other wait staff were not as friendly and helpful as Jason, and you almost felt a bit of snobbery from some of the staff.
I will say that when you eat at the Capital Grille there is a sense of snobbery that comes with those high prices. Many of the patrons we overheard talk about there exquisite vacations and expensive lake front homes... seems like a bit of a status thing to eat there.
Overall, it was a nice experience, the food was generally excellent, with a few complaints but hey, if you're going to charge those prices, it should be nothing short of perfect. I'm not sure that I'd recommend the Capital Grille to others, not because the food was not good or the experience was not good, but namely because the amount of money you spend on dinner is so high, that surely you can get a comprable if not better experience for less money, and minus the company of the Charlotte Elite.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank jrobba
Charlotte NC
“What's not to like?!?!?”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Great food, great service, great atmosphere. While it can be pricey, it is a great "splurge" restaurant. My absolute favorite special occasion place (I just wish I got to go more often!).

“Great downtown restaurant”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

This is a perfect place to eat in heart of downtown. It is nice, relaxing, good service, excellent food and close to everything downtown. Plus, there is a great area outside to eat that is great in the spring.

“Final dinner out”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Amazing in every sense of the word. We sat at the bar and had dinner with Paul, while watching the FSU game. It was one of the best meals I've had ion a while and the lobster macaroni and cheese is delicious. I could have just eaten two servings of that and called it a night. Excellent comfort food.

Visited December 2011

Been to The Capital Grille? Share your experiences!