“Yummy Brunswick Stew and BBQ sauce”
Review of Old Hickory House Restaurant - CLOSED

Old Hickory House Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 16, 2011

I've been going to this joint since I was a very young child. My parents would drive 25 miles one-way to get here (and in the 1970s it was a big deal to drive that far). I still love it. If I get anywhere near that side of town I have to stop in and eat. I plan going to Charlotte around stopping in. I also always take several pounds of sliced beef (with its yummy sauce) and several pints of brunswick stew with me. The brunswick stew is to die for. Whenever I think of it my mouth waters. I can eat it day after day when I bring the to go orders home with me. The BBQ sauce there is great too. It is red, thick and spicy. It is not like a bottled sauce. I've never tasted anything like it. I am partial to the sliced beef there too. Now for the atmosphere. It is vintage. I'm not sure whether it is from the 50's or 60's really but it is old. I like it that way. It reminds me of restaurants of the past. No windows. Covered wagon lamps on the walls by the table. It is a blast from the past- and I mean that in a good way. Love, love, love this place. I am eating a bowl of brunswick stew right now that I picked up on the way home from Ikea yesterday. It is very near to the Ikea store (but on the back side of it, not on the interstate side). Try it!!

Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stayed in Charlotte on our way to Myrtle Beach and we wanted to try some Carolina BBQ. We visited the Old Hickory House on a Saturday night (July 4th weekend) at about 5:30. I ordered the Full Pork platter which was a good sized helping of chopped pork BBQ served w/ 2 slices of Texas Toast and 2 sides (9.49). We also have two young children and they have a kids menu - our boys had Grilled Cheese and steak fries (w/ drink $3.99). The food was tasty and the portions of meat was decent.

What was odd was that during our time there, there was only two other tables w/ customers and at times we were the only customers there! I asked the waitress if this is normal, and she said it is not - the July 4th weekend is slow for them, and they are busiest for lunch on weekdays.

That being said, the service was prompt and the food was solid. Would recommend.

1  Thank oh_maestro
Reviewed June 30, 2010

This barbecue place serves fantastic food and the price/value is unbelievable! Don't be fooled by the outside of this place. It looks like a hole in the wall - but it is definitely worth stopping in. My husband, myself, and our teenage son ate for less than $33 and got a lot to eat. My husband had the ribs and said they were the best he'd ever had. I had the pulled pork and thought it was great. My son and I got the fries, and they weren't great, but I didn't have room for them anyway.
If we visit the area again, we'll be back.