“Don't expect typical Korean” 3 of 5 bubbles

Miyagi's
Ranked #1,738 of 2,340 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
SC
“Don't expect typical Korean”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Ok, I read the review in CL and was really looking forward to trying this place but can honestly say it was not at all what I expected. I agree with others that the website photos are deceptive.I ordered the Tuna Nachos to start which were very good and I also visisted on Wed., draft beer special day so I scored a Kirin for $3.00 but those were definitely the hightlights. I made the trip here for Korean, not sushi but that is their primary focus. My 2nd dish came out and I mentioned to the server that I was really looking for more traditional Korean since I can get sushi anywhere and the ordered dish was not what I expected. She was kind and offered to bring me something else, when I asked if they even had kimchi she said yes and brought me a small saucer @ no charge. I would only visit again if I were in the area (highly unlikely) would definitely not make the drive (30 miles) just to eat here. I thought the food delivery was rather slow even though they only had 3 other tables.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Charlotte
“Possibly the worst restaurant in Charlotte”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Nothing about this place works! Our server was way undertrained and not very good. When he cleared our table of our totally full plates(the food was just bad,bad,bad) he moved the dirty dishes to the end of our table and walked away. The pictures and menu on line are nothing like what you actually get. In fact, the menu is so tiny that a table of 7 was forced to repeat dishes because options were so limited. One person ordered the Korean short ribs and he was given kitchen shears to cut the meat. I wish I had taken a photo of that but I was so mortified I couldn't move. Two of us ordered the bimbimbap and not only was it served in a plain bowl, the rice was cold and stale and not a single vegetable was warm. The ground beef on top(really, ground beef?) tasted like Hamburger Helper from the school cafeteria. I wish I could articulate better just how truly horrible this restaurant is. No ingredients were fresh, the kitchen staff seemed like they were staring in to headlights and the poor server had no idea what the dishes were and what they came with. We paid our very expensive bill in full(despite 3 of us eating nothing) and then complained to the manager. That's when things got particularly odd. The manager asked if he could take our name and number to give to the owner but the owner was standing next to us. He became surly, belligerent, nasty and was defensive before we even got our first complaint out. We heard the table next to us complaining about their experience as we were leaving. One can only hope the owner was kinder to them than he was to us.

• Visited January 2013
5 Thank 9463chick
Charlotte, North Carolina
“If you want Korean - this is NOT for you”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Where to start. The restaurant has a great atmosphere and very nice web site. Web shows beautiful food and very nice menu but the kitchen delivers neither. The web highlights about 20% of items in red and states these are available for delivery -- hm no one told the kitchen as that's is all they serve. When we brought to the owners attention he seemed to care less and did not want to hear our petty comments regarding this or the poor service and the terrible food.

The food - Bibimbap - COLD, most likely frozen food service type stuff, not edible
Bolgogi and Kalbi, Not authentic and NOT edible
7 diners and none of us enjoyed or could eat our entire meal - 180.00 before gratuity

The service or lack - Upon my wife ordering waiter responded " this menu is so outdated" the restaurant has only been open 3 weeks. Clearing the table another of his orders was passing by so he chose to place stack of dirty dishes at the end of our table.

Nice looking place, but kitchen and wait staff need to be replaced yesterday.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Todd S

Been to Miyagi's? Share your experiences!