“Very large modern auditorium”
Review of Ovens Auditorium

Ovens Auditorium
Ranked #54 of 189 things to do in Charlotte
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I grew up in NYC and think of theater as much more intimate than this, but I guess this is what musical theater has become: a large flamboyant circus with lots of effects. Wicked was fun and I was glad to be close enough to actually see the performers. I did not experience it as overly warm. Be prepared for a mob scene at intermission and don't expect to use the bathroom unless you are prepared for a long wait.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"graduation"
"series"

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The venue is interesting. The inside looks like a high school auditorium. The seats were comfortable and the show was great but according to the others in my party the room was unbearably hot. I was pretty comfortable but I prefer warmer temperatures. Most people around me were fanning themselves to try to cool off.

1  Thank Kim H
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Its hard to complain about any theater that features Wicked. An incredible event at any theater.

They were generous enough to hold an orchestra seat lottery 2 1/2 hour pre-show. Since we were actually in town to see P!nk we figured we would give it a shot. Well we won the first day we tried! $25dollar row r orchestra!!!
The theater is in the middle of nowhere surrounded buy some sketchy neighborhoods. No cabs to be found so if your coming from downtown, call a cab company ahead of time.

The theater is pretty generic, and very large. Seats in the back are not going to be very good.

They have a great variety of shows here, but it needs a new location, perhaps closer to downtown , and a new building.

Overall , with limited other options ,its a good place to see a show.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I saw Wicked for the first time ever last night. We sat in aisle BB and our seats were very good. Unfortunately the auditorium was wicked hot. My husband was sweating by the end of the first act. I was warm too with a jersey dress and bare legs. I ALWAYS bring a wrap because I am cold natured in venues like that. The lobby was infused with cold air but so crowded it was difficult to move. Of course, women's bathrooms lines were long. If I have no choice I will return but looks like they could fix the air issue in the auditorium itself.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I attended Sister Act last night at this auditorium. It was extremely hot inside. When I went to get a refreshment, I asked for cranberry juice. They refused to sell me cranberry juice unless the added alcohol to the juice!!!!! I explained I had kidney problems and do not drink soda. Didn't matter. No alcohol, no cranberry juice. I WILL NEVER GO BACK! It was horrible

1  Thank skysis

Been to Ovens Auditorium? Share your experiences!