“Good Lunch Spot”

Charlotte Douglas Airport Overlook
Ranked #19 of 180 things to do in Charlotte
Reviewed January 15, 2014

As overlooks go, this one is pretty darn good. Quiet area - except for the excitement of jets coming and going:-) Great place for a lunch on the go or just to relax a bit. Picnic tables and trash cans are available.

There are newer reviews for Charlotte Douglas Airport Overlook

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I took my kids to have a picnic here and watch Daddy's plane take off. They LOVED it. It was really pretty cool. It is at a little hill overlooking one of the runways, and it really is a great view. You can see the planes from the time they begin to taxi down the runway all the way through take off. I got some great pictures in sequence. They have a parking lot, which is free, and I noticed a bunch of people eating their lunches in their cars just watching planes taking off. There are benches set out right along the view, so we just ate our picnic right there. There are no tables, but the benches are fine. There is a fence topped with barbed wire in between you and the actual airport property, so you do need to make sure your kids don't get up on the fence because they could cut their hands. It's far enough away though that it wasn't a problem for us. I did notice another little boy climbing though, so that's why I said that. There were several families there with kids, and I noticed couples too having a nice time just watching. It was really cool, and I think we were able to watch my husband's plane take off based on his texts and the timing. I would definitely return. It's free and really interesting.

1  Thank honkeylips
Reviewed December 3, 2013

For years I have been bringing my children here to watch the airplanes takeoff and land at the airport. The high rise buildings of uptown are a backdrop for the planes as they go by. The best times for viewing are on the hours; dusk and night viewing are impressive with all of the lights. Pay attention to the hours post which usually stops access around 10:30PM. A great place for young and old so don't forget your cameras!

As with anything there has over the years been some frequenting the area for reasons other than the intended purposes.....looking for sex. Thankfully law enforcement regularly conducts undercover work and patrols to "discourage" this type of behavior. It is very much a family environment and the kids love the roar of the planes.

1  Thank Brad C
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Arrival went very smoothly. Departure took a little long becasue of all the security. Eat before you get there, bring you own coffee if you need to wait for your flight.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I understand they are planning to build CLT's fourth runway right over this place and would be surprised if (in view of security requirements) anyone builds a replacement. So enjoy it while it lasts!

PS There are no facilities and unlikely to be any in the future considering the above. Make sure you go potty BEFORE visiting!