“Allman Brothers Concert with Steve Winwood”
Review of PNC Music Pavilion

PNC Music Pavilion
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This concert booking in itself was a great community service for Charlotte. The audience was so in tune to the quality of the show, that almost every song got standing ovations. The venue was relaxed, well managed and organized for the best experience. The musicians were outstanding. We have seen their performances many times, and they just keep getting better. We saw and loved the performance in Charlotte on 8/31/13. It was an unforgettable experience to be in that audience. Gregg Allman and Butch Trucks are rock star anchors. We learned of Derek Truck's talent before he was performing with Clapton at age 12. He is better every time we see him. Warren Haynes is just legend. Steve Winwood and his band rocked the house. The comradery and respect for talent in every member made the combination a brotherhood of musical genius. The fans love them because they love what is happening up there.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"bathrooms were clean"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I came with my husband to see a 5 band concert. Ticket prices were very reasonable, parking was easy, consessions widely dispersed, easy to find restrooms, friendly staff, vendors centrally located - it was an awesome concert. The only problem I had was the food prices. I know it will be more than fast food and I don't mind paying extra so that I don't have to plan/pack meals, but it was pricier than similar events I've attended. Despite this, we will be back.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Was surprised (Father's Day) with tickets to see Train (7/13)... and made the journey to CLT and the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater will no expectations (good or bad --- I was just ready for anything).

1) My wife had procured VIP parking, which cost a few bucks - but we really liked the closeness to the entrance, and we broke out our canvas lawn chairs and tailgated (Jimmy John subs). That was fun and lots of people around us were doing the same thing - many families / kids with their parents. Food and beverage prices inside were pretty high - about what I expected - although our tub of popcorn was only $5 (less than at a movie theater).

2) The park itself was laid out well, lots of concession stands, restrooms, band merchandise spots, info centers, etc. It was well lit, the asphalt walkways were in great condition, the park's directional signage was clear and understandable, and the walk to our seats was easy.

3) Our seats were fine - we sat in the center section (7) and were back on row AA --- just under the metal roof. We could see fine - and the plastic seats were somewhat comfortable (as far as plastic arena seats go). The large screens on either side of the stage were just okay - they were big enough, but not HD. The stage screen, on the other hand, was HD and was very impressive. Nice job there.

4) The sound quality also stood out to me. It was clear, balanced nicely, loud, but again - clear. I was impressed by the sound quality, as I've been in many situations where the sound was muffled or spotty. They do a good job here.

5) Security was professional. There was little need for police, as Train's fan base are generally great people --- but the security was adequate. The ticket / staff guy controlling our section was particularly nice, polite, and professional.

6) 20K+ people... The "lawn" area (behind the seating area) was absolutely packed out, I marveled at how many people this place can hold. I understand that over 20K were there --- and everybody was dressed up, rocking out to Train, and having a fun time.

7) The ease of exiting was as good as it can get. Parking attendants ushered us out of the parking lot - and CLT police had exit lanes set up to get us on our way. Now granted, we started walking toward our car after the 2nd encore song (Drops of Jupiter), and we did park up close to the entrance - but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to exit.

All in all --- I thought the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater was a great venue - and we definitely had an excellent experience. Outdoor amphitheaters kind of are what they are --- but I highly recommend this one.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I love summer shows here. It is a great venue. Drinks and food are way overpriced but that is to be expected for an entertainment venue like this. Only issue is the parking situation. I learned long ago that if you want to avoid traffic you have to get the heck outta dodge before the concert ends. Which means skipping the encore! LAME! Worth it though cuz sitting in traffic for 3 hours trying to leave the place is not cool...

1  Thank Jenna1999
See more reviews
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Enjoyed seeing the Dave Matthews Band here on July 24. Great atmosphere in the lots, wonderful and helpful staff. Only complaint is getting out of the lots after the show. WOW! What a nightmare. We got to the car at 11:45PM and did not get to our hotel until 1:40AM (only 8 miles away). We literally sat in our car for 1.5 hour without moving. There has to be a better way to handle this problem. This venue has been there for a long time. Hire some professionals to handle this issue. The cops are not enough. In my opinion, the police officers should be on hand to deal with REAL issues such as underage drinking and sobriety checkpoints. If the flow out of the lots was better, this review would have been for 5 stars. The only other issue I had was the amount of garbage that people left behind. Obviously not an issue that can be controlled by VWA, but maybe placing trash barrels/recyclers at the end of each row would at least encourage trash to be thrown away properly.

2  Thank dbae27