“Pizza Tour is a great exploration of Charlotte”

Tour De Food Charlotte
Book In Advance
More Info
$60.00*
and up
Charlotte's Historic South End Food Tour
Ranked #1 of 29 Food & Drink in Charlotte
More attraction details
Owner description: Come eat, drink and walk with us through North Carolina. We offer unique tours to satisfy all palettes. We search out independantly owned restaurants from fine dining to hidden dives the locals frequent. We mix it with local history and amazing architecture. Come explore these delectable culinary scenes and see how friendly true southern character is.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

If I had a criticism of this tour, it was that five of the participants were almost a half hour late. Not the fault of the tour guide but I wish we could have eaten sooner as my group of 9 worked hard to be on time. Scotty (our guide) was sweet and determined to show us a good time and good pizza, and he made up for it. We started at "Pie in the Sky" and walked quite a distance to our next location, the 7th Street Market, for pizza at Pure Pizza. This was my favorite actually, with some interesting and unusual (but healthful!) choices. The 7th street market consists of a number of other food options including a butcher, a wine shop, a salt store, a coffee house, and a raw juice bar. We had two more pizza restaurants to visit, and enjoyed both although they were very different. Essentially, I'm not reviewing the restaurants but the tour, which is a nice way to eat your way through a historical exploration of Charlotte. I mentioned earlier that we started late, and perhaps that's why my only general criticism of the tour (mentioned by others in my group) was that we wish we'd had a few more minutes to enjoy each stop. We felt a bit rushed at times. I'd still recommend it, especially for pizza lovers and for first-time visitors to Charlotte. This company offers a few other culinary walking tours of the city. I think it's a great idea and if I'm in the area I'd love to sign up for them.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Being a recent transplant, we've been to a ton of the chain restaurants uptown, but didn't really know about the smaller, locally owned places. This is a GREAT afternoon and highly recommended. We did the uptown tour with Scotty - he was great...few tips -

-> Believe it or not, we thought the tour was too long - there was a lot of sitting in restaurants after you learned about the place and eaten the taste...good thing we have no problems talking with the other folks in the tour, but still could have shortened the tour 30-60 minutes by shaving a few minutes off of each place

-> Don't serve cheese plates. Come on ... even I can make a cheese plate. We go to farmers markets and get quality, organic food too...if we're tasting a plate, we want to experience the chef's artistry. Harvest Moon was the biggest offender, but was hoping for something more than cheese/cured meat from Roosters.

-> Add in more history - learned a few tid bits, was hoping for more - how many people live in Charlotte, what's the local:transplant ratio, what are the Wards...basic stuff to either out of towners or locals would be helpful to fill the gap

-> Why did only 1 restaurant invite us to purchase an adult beverage? This was mid-day - if we're tasting wine, wouldn't it make sense to have the option to buy some other beverages along the way for those who care to partake?

This is an awesome way to spend an afternoon. Even better as a gift for someone new to the area. Would not recommend kids, tho. We are glad we didn't bring our 9 and 7 yr olds.

Enjoy and thanks for a great afternoon - see you on the next tour!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I went on this tour today for a Mother's Day treat with my sister and mom. What a great time!! Our tour guide, Scottie, was knowledgeable and funny. He led us on a tour to 8 different sites where we learned about the history of the surrounding area and heard from executive chefs on their passion for clean, local and organic food. It was so tasty and just plain 'ole fun. Can't go wrong trying out all different types of amazing food from all around this very historic and cool city. Two thumbs up!!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Spending a weekend afternoon doing the "uptown food tour" with Tour De Food Charlotte was fun and interesting. Having spent the last 23 years living here, I have often commented that there are not enough interesting things to do when people from out of town come to visit. Afterall, not everyone is into NASCAR or big pink churches! I kept thinking that this would be a fabulous way to spend some time with guests to our city. The restaurants on the tour were very good and all had comfortable seating for those on our tour. "Harvest Moon" was the biggest disappointment as we heard about how great the chef was, but we were only served strawberries and cheeses. All the other restaurants we visited served us creations prepared by the chef. Most were fabulous. Amelies was a personal favorite! Would recommend this tour!

1  Thank mwright4
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This past weekend I had the pleasure of going on a Tour De Food food tour guided by it's owner, Lisa. Everyone in my group had a wonderful time and everyone left full. They even accommodated special food requests, which was wonderful because we had a vegetarian and someone with food allergies in our group (Not every food tour will do this!). All the restaurants featured on the tour source their food locally, and everything was delicious! I can't wait to try out a Tour De Food tour in another location!