“Best place in Charlotte for live music”
Review of Visulite Theatre

Visulite Theatre
Ranked #61 of 183 things to do in Charlotte
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

The Vis is by far my favorite place in Charlotte to catch live music. They have a great website that's shows everything way in advance and even gives you the dates of other great shows happening at other venues- because they truely support music. A non-yuppy unpretentious place in an old theatre turned cool stage with plenty of tables and room for dancing. Large bar with good people behind it... I love this place.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is a great Venue. I loved the neighborhood it was in and would probably spend a great deal of time here, if I lived in the city.
The doors opened on time, if not slightly early. Just inside the door, checked in at will call after our ids were checked at the door ( we are 49 and 61, not exactly sneaking in for a beer! LOL!) Loved how things were set up.
There a basically 3 areas. Around the bar there are chairs and the bar is set up to the rear of the theater farthest from the stage and a few step above the section. Between the bar and the stage there are high top tables and chairs along a small ledge area perfect to set your drink on. Below this area, is an open area for dancing and being up close to the performers. Many venues are standing room only. Being less than young, we enjoyed having the options to sit and enjoy the band without our view being blocked or being jostled by dancers. Looking forward to going here again!

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

The staff at this place is the abdolute worst. Went there for a concert that I previously bought tickets for. My girlfriend and I were first in line. When it came time to enter the venue, they would not let us in because she did not have an I.D. (she was new to NC) We told them we were not going to drink and to just put an X on her hand. They refused. Then more of their employees ganged up on us. They stood around giggling at us like school children. I hadn't said anything bad. All I said was I wanted in or I wanted my money back. They the decided to threated to beat me up if I didn't leave.(still in their annoying giggly voices) They were just the absolute rudest people ever. Everyone other concert venue in Charlotte has extremely nice people working at it. I will NEVER go to this place again and I suggest you don't.

1  Thank trippinchris
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I visited for the first time last night and had a wonderful experience. The doors opened at 8pm and we got there at about 7:45pm. We were there for a rescheduled show (Vanessa Carlton) and so we didn't have trouble finding a spot in the lot across the street. It was full, but a quick trip around the lot and we found a spot. I'm not completely familiar with Charlotte and was expecting it to be further out of town, but it was very easy to get to and it looks like the Lynx light rail line is being built to pass right by.

They opened the doors right at 8, which was nice because it was cold outside. ID check at the door. It was funny because the guy tried to mark me with Xs to say I was under 21...haha, not true. I had him check my ID again and he admitted he didn't even look at it the first time. (I look like I'm about 16, so I understand that.) We joked around about it and he was really nice. Will Call for tickets was inside. Very easy process, just give them your name.

The venue has a bunch of high top tables and a row of chairs along a bar that have a perfect, unobstructed view. I was at the show with my mom (probably another reason he thought I was 16). At first we sat at one of the high top tables to have a drink and relax a little after our drive. It was great, very low key. There's a full bar with sodas, beer, etc close by. Pretty good prices, though other reviewers when I checked yesterday said they didn't pay more than $3 for a beer. Hmm, mine was $5.50. Maybe Fat Tire is more expensive? Diet Coke was $2. Be sure to ask for light ice or they will give you lots of ice and very little Coke. So is life, right?

The audio for the opening act was a little shaky. That seemed to be fixed by the time VC came out. At that point I went down to the pit area. I was touching the stage the whole time, right in front of her. It was so wonderful, better than I could have hoped for. This concert was 12 years in the making for me, so it was a very special experience. There seemed to be a few technical issues during the concert. They didn't impede the overall show much at all, but I wished I could have heard exactly what they wanted to do.

After the show, there was a signing session that really meant a lot to me. I was able to talk to my favorite artist and inspiration for playing music. I wouldn't have gotten that at any other venue, so I'm very grateful for the size of Visulite. Overall it was a truly wonderful experience that I will never forget.

Thanks, Visulite, for hosting such a lovely, lovely artist. I'll definitely be back!

1  Thank Erin C
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Have been going here since 2001...The staff who run the Visulite are professional and helpful...The shows which the owner books run a wide range of musical tastes. Great sound from wherever you decide to sit or stand and listen to the music.
The place is great for dancing and seeing nationally known, regionally known and local artists.
This place is one of my all time favorite music venues...Lucinda Williams...JJ Cale... Bob Mould...Chris Thile...Acoustic Syndicate...Drive-By Truckers...Derrek Trucks...Galactic...Leftover Salmon are just a few of the acts I have seen there ...Go check out the Visulite Theatre and support live music!

1  Thank Sherry2012Charlotte