“Nice boutique hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Charlotte, NC
“Nice boutique hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2005

I have stayed at the Dunhill 4 or 5 times on business over the last 2 years and enjoy its convenient location. The staff is friendly, the bell service prompt and the rooms traditional and cozy...some larger, most small.

I would recommend going out in the Uptown Charlotte area for coffee and meals. Dozens of cafes and restaurants/lounges are within walking distance.

The little touches of this boutique hotel are nice: Bose alarm clocks, chocolate covered strawberries at night, plush robes and unique soaps and shampoos. The last time I stayed there they offered complimentary coffee in the lounge in the morning and a small selection of nuts/snacks in the early evening.

I would stay there each time I visited Charlotte.

• Stayed June 2004, traveled on business
32 Thank efie30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2005

Instead of just writing a novel on my experience at this hotel, I would prefer to highlight the pro's and con's in hopes of helping someone make their decision on staying at this hotel or not.

ROOM:

No coffee maker. ~ $15 for pot of coffee via room service.

Decorations were very old-style, dark mahogany.

Bed was very hard. Thin, tearing bed-spread. Old bed, felt like grandma's bed.

TV was small and too far away from bed.

Bathroom had literally NO counterspace. They did a make-shift glass shelf that sits directly above the faucet handles. That is it. The shelf is inches wide and about a foot long. Just enough room for a simple man's toiletries, but certainly not enough room for a woman's toiletries.
The decor in the bathroom? I just kept asking myself "why bother?".

The entire room just didn't jive with me. I didn't get a cozy sense, but that's just me.

Can hear traffic outside of my room, I was on the 4th floor.

Free USA Today newspaper at your doorstep.

There is no "Guest Services" book in the room. I had to call and bug the front desk girl several times regarding items that I'm sure I could of found in a hotel services book. I found that odd.

SERVICE:

Front desk very helpful at all times. Restaurant staff was hit or miss. Bell man was very nice.

FOOD:

Ridiculously expensive restaurant inside the hotel but it is not associated with the hotel. I had a very mediocre salmon with two glasses of house wine and my bill was $60. The salmon alone was $30. Give me a break! It was also farm-raised. I would not recommend eating in the restaurant simply because it is overpriced and not worth your dollar (or even your company's dollar).

PARKING:

Forget about parking. Use either valet (kind of difficult to even find where the valet is, there isn't a sign and it's on the side of the building, not the main entrance) or park yourself, but then you'll have to walk with your luggage quite a few feet to the nearest elevator.

WORK OUT FACILITY:

There is none. Although they say you can go to the gym across the street somewhere and pay $15/day. No thanks.

SUMMARY:

Basically this hotel is all about location. It's in the heart of downtown Charlotte. If you need to be in that area, stay in the hotel. But don't expect anything fancy or new. It's an older building, older rooms, and in general I found it very hard to get around inside the hotel and out. Just not a convenience-driven hotel.

I would not stay here again. I would of rather stayed at the Westin, but that was too expensive for my company's taste. I only stayed at the Dunhill because it was close to my work.

I've stayed at many "cute, quaint, cozy" hotels that were older, out-dated a bit, but they had character and I felt very comfortable in my room. I just didn't get that sense with this hotel, although the free chocolate covered strawberries in my room every night was a treat!

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
34 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Annandale, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2004

My friend and I were in Charlotte for a conference on September 12-13, 2004. On the recommendation of TripAdvisor I booked us for one night at the Dunhill. I couldn't have been more pleased. The staff is extra friendly and helpful. When we got to our room we noticed that there was quite a bit of noise coming from a club adjacent to the hotel and we had to be up very early the next morning, so we asked to be moved to the other side of the building. They immediately moved us, in fact, they moved our bags for us while we went out for dinner. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the bathrooms are large and very pretty. The only recommendation we would have is that they need more towel racks to place used towels on. The complimentary chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in the room were a nice treat.
Parking, conveniently adjacent to the hotel, is free with validation by the hotel. Their restaurant offers a great breakfast for $3.99 and the lunch was also very good, but stay away from the shrimp and crab seafood salad. I would highly recommend this hotel and would go back. I wish we could have stayed longer, Charlotte seems like a nice city.

25 Thank rhartm
Fort Worth, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2004

My wife and I stayed in the Dunhill for 2 weekend nights in June. The hotel is an older property, and I believe part of an Historic Hotel Registry. It is located right in the heart of "uptown" Charlotte, in the midst of a rejuvenated downtown area, with many restaurants, bars, and shops nearby.

I asked for a room on a higher floor to avoid some of the street noise, and the front desk accomodated my request, but there was still quite a bit of noise in the late hours. I don't really fault the hotel for that -- it's to be expected when you stay in the heart of a burgeoning nightlife scene. And the prime location was part of the Dunhill's attraction. What I did have a problem with was the heat. Try as we might, we couldn't get the room to cool down. With the amount of noise coming in through the windows, I assumed that someone had left one partially open, but both the bathroom and bedroom windows were sealed shut. The air conditioner was already turned on high on the lowest temperature setting, and even when we closed the curtains for several hours to keep the sun out, the room still never cooled below the mid-high 80s. To be fair, the weather outside was mid-90s, but I expected at least a 15-20 degree differential, especially with curtains shut and windows closed. I had a very difficult time finding anyone at the front desk to help me with the problem, as twice I tried to find someone. The first time no one was around for a good 5-10 minutes while I waited. The second time, on our way to dinner, the clerk would not pause from her phone conversation to acknowledge me or tell me she would be with me in a moment. Ten minutes later, we left for dinner late, frustrated, and with still no end in sight to the conversation (which was with a customer whose reservations had been lost and who was due in town the following week). When we returned, the room had cooled off only slightly, and we were really too tired to ask to move rooms. We planned to check out the next morning and move to a different hotel, but having made the reservations through Orbitz, I knew they would be non-refundable. Since we were going to be out and about all day and until the late evening again, we decided we'd just suffer through it again if they couldn't fix the A/C issue. When we went down that morning to speak with someone, the only staff member we could find was preoccupied with a wedding party. In short, the issue was never fixed and we did not enjoy our stay much at all.

The hotel is well appointed, though it shows its age in places. The bathroom was clean and tiled, with a decent shower/bath, though it was even hotter than the room (perhaps because its window directly faced the sun for several hours). The sheets are average--a little scratchy for my wife, but I didn't notice. And I was disappointed in the service in my brief attempts to converse with them. They may be understaffed, or I might have just had bad timing. Trying to be fair-minded, I really think we would have enjoyed our stay much more had the A/C been working at even a reasonable level. And we might not have noticed the problem if our trip had been in April or September. If that were the case, I would probably have rated the hotel a 4--a boutique hotel with some charm at a very reasonable value. However, our experience really did cast a fairly negative overall impression in our minds. I would not personally stay there again, or recommend it. It's kind of a shame, really, because otherwise it seemed like a fairly nice hotel. I can see how others visiting in more temperate months might really enjoy it.

21 Thank morellyn
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2004

Most recent stay was 3rd week of March 04. As usual, always nice. I had a small room during this stay but still nice. Poster beds, turndown service with chocolate covered strawberries (yum), and complimentary soft drinks, juice, and water in the refrigerator.

Breakfast at the resturant and room service for dinner. Excellent each time.

Can be noisy on a weekend night from the crowds in the street. Not much to do after 10:00 and quites down quickly.

Have stayed here three times and enjoyed a wonderful stay on each occassion.

22 Thank sk84fungirl
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2004

The Dunhill Hotel, was the friendliest and warmist hotel i've ever stayed in. The staff were fantastic, they talked to you like friends rather than guests. With warmth and interest. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. It was a home away from home, but without all the work. Very personnal and lovely.

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2004

Wonderful!! Our first time at the Dunhill, and it will most definitely be the first of many stays to come!! The service was stellar- we were greeted immediately upon entering, helped with our bags, treated with respect, friendliness and the utmost of care!! The room was cozy, very clean and comfortable. The environment felt comfortable, safe and the staff was always friendly, from the front desk staff to the valet parking attendant!!!We cant wait to return- we've found our new favorite get-away!!

• Stayed January 2005