“Not nearly enough for the price...”
Review of The Dunhill Hotel

The Dunhill Hotel
Ranked #38 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Greensboro, NC
“Not nearly enough for the price...”
Reviewed November 20, 2008

I reserved a room at the Dunhill for a weekend getaway for my birthday this past September.
For the high price I paid, I expected something big, elegant, and worth the money. I definitely didn't think I got it.

Great location right in the middle of downtown Charlotte, but the place is really really small.
The room was small, the bed very, very squeaky, and the walls really thin.

The bathroom was okay, but also very small and nothing special.

The website promised a pair of bathrobes to every single room in the hotel, but once we got there it turned out you had to pay $50 for each robe.

By nightfall, I was really regretting going to a hotel without a pool, especially for how much I paid for it.

Room service was okay, but the food was mediocre (and a little cold), took half an hour to come up, and cost me almost $70 just for breakfast.
I spent just a little more than that on my birthday dinner the night before at a really nice restaurant down the street.

Hotel promised drinks in every room, but was just a bottle of coke and a water in the tiny fridge under the TV. The maid was, however, really nice about bringing us more.

There was no problem with noise (except hearing TV from other rooms), and checking in and out was really simple and fast.

Turn down service was nice, especially the tasty pillow chocolates, but that wasn't enough to make me feel better, especially due to the lack of other amenities.

Overall I think this hotel is okay, but definitely not as great as it claims to be, and not worth more than $100. Everything looks nice, but it was really small and mediocre.

• Liked — Turndown service and the classic look.
  • Disliked — The size of the rooms, and the lack of amenities, including a pool.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We stayed one night on a stopover as we decided to have a look around Charlotte, rather than just connect through. It is a business hotel, so I expect most people are on expense accounts. By our standard, it was expensive, but so are all the downtown hotels in Charlotte. By booking through the hotel web site we got a seniors discount. The taxes are comprehensive. They have a city tax, a state tax, a county tax and an "occupancy tax" (one of the bigger ones). The front desk were unable to explain what it was.

The room was huge with two massive beds. One bed was about the size of hotel rooms we stayed in in Japan. The beds had silly posts on the corners, which may have looked good, but were impractical - sticking up in front of the TV screen, and asking to be walked in to in the dark.

The hotel promised a newspaper. They did not deliver, but provided one when I asked. There is free coffee in the lobby if you do not have breakfast included.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price, silly bedposts
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed September 30, 2008

If you like the historic charm of a boutique hotel, stay at the Dunhill Hotel in uptown Charlotte within walking distance of many good restaurants (including the Monticello within the Dunhill), corporate headquarters, Mint Museum of Art and Crafts, Discovery Place & the Convention Center. We lived in the Charlotte area for nine years where I was involved with the Mint Museums and I always used the Dunhill for our out-of-town speakers. I was surprised to see that it was rated so low among Charlotte hotels, but if you want new, this is not the place for you.

• Liked — Charm and Location
  • Disliked — Smaller Rooms of Varying Sizes
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed September 29, 2008

My boyfriend and I are Charlotte locals yet we don't spend a lot of time in Uptown. I booked a room at the Dunhill thinking it would be the perfect way to celebrate his birthday. The room was small and on the 3rd floor, but with the rain pouring outside, it felt cozy. The in-room frige is a bonus as we brought our own cocktail makings. The bed is comfy if you like a "bouncy" bed. The staff is very accomodating and friendly. I forgot my toothbrush and the bellman ran one up to me within 5 minutes of calling to see if they had anything like that on hand. We ate dinner next door at Zink which was incredible! Breakfast was very disappointing at Monticello (the restaurant in the Dunhill). The food sounded good, but was lukewarm upon arrival from our odd & defensive server. We were basically too hungover to deal with that kind of attitude or to complain about it. We would definitely recommend this to anyone who appreciates historical buildings and isn't looking for a lot of space in the room or bathroom. Proud to live in a city with this hotel!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
ontario
Reviewed August 24, 2008

This is an historic hotel in down town Charlotte. It is a beautiful building and the rooms are charming and well furnished. If you are looking for high tech, modern this one is not for you. But if you want to be right down town and you enjoy historic buidlings you will enjoy it. We particularly enjoyed breakfast on the outdoor patio each morning. The food was good and unlike many hotels, it was not over priced. My husband likes to sleep in a very cool room and the ac was not as strong as it might be in a more modern building. We were also unhappy to have no cold water from the faucet -- it was always quite warm. We complained but apparently it could not be fixed. I also enjoyed watching the Olympics in the evening in the bar. The staff made me feel very comfortable sitting with my glass of wine and the games. It would be a good choice for a woman travelling alone who likes a the extra service that a smaller hotel can provide. It is currently undergoing renovation and it did cause some distruptions. We spent 2 separate weeks this summer because I was working in the area and I will be staying there next time too.

• Liked — the history of the building
  • Disliked — no cold water
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Tallahassee
Reviewed August 2, 2008

On a recent trip through Charlotte, our family of five chose to stay at the Dunhill. It has a great location, next to the Dicovery Center in Uptown Charlotte. Unfortunately, that means parking in an expensive garage and hauling all of ones belongings. We arrived late evening and discovered there was no microwave and the only restaurants were 4 and 5 star white tablecloth type places. There are no vending machines either. The room was nice and very clean, but the traffic was audible all night long - lots of motorcycles. In the morning, only coffee is served and only until 9am. We ate down the street at a little cafe' that serves great homestyle food and enjoyed the Discovery Center.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Impracticalities
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed February 22, 2008

I stayed at the Dunhill in Room 902 for one night. The Dunhill is a small, historic hotel in the heart of Uptown Charlotte. The Dunhill has alot of charm that some of the chain hotels lack. It is in a very convenient location for business and sporting events. However, the room I stayed in needs updating. The carpet had black spots that looked like ink or shoe polish on it -- the carpet should be replaced entirely. Coffee table was very scratched and also had a stain on it. Bathroom lighting was poor. On the plus side,it offers free wireless internet, a mini fridge with complimentary water and sodas and the shower was excellent. It was fine for 1 night and less expensive than the Marriott on the corner. I think the Dunhill has alot of potential and with some sprucing up could be fantastic.

Stayed February 2008