“Badly needs some updating” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dunhill Hotel

The Dunhill Hotel
Ranked #41 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
winston salem
“Badly needs some updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were in Charlotte for dinner and a show and the location of the Dunhill cannot be beaten. The staff and service were excellent. Downside - the rooms are in dire need of some updating; they are just very tired and old. The bed was awful - supersoft and dipping in the middle; old and needs replacing. Same goes for the bedding - sheets were obviously good quality but again were old, thin and need replacing. Decor was dark and dingy with awful stains on the drapes.
This place could be a really fantastic intimate boutique hotel in an unbeatable location; but it needs some money spending on it to get it where it needs to be.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
John B, General Manager at The Dunhill Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad that you had a great service experience from our associates. We regret that your room did not meet your expectations. Please let us know if you experience this or any other challenge on your next visit. We will be happy to see if another room can meet your needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Beaverton, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Beautiful rooms, great food, better location, and amazing customer service!

Even though I was here on business I still was able to make time to go to City Center and have a fun night out on the town, and the best part is that I could walk back to my hotel at the end of the evening. I couldn't have asked for a better more accomodating staff to help me find my way around. I look forward to staying here again if I ever get the chance to visit Charlotte again.

Room Tip: If you want to spend the few extra dollars I recommend going for the Queen Suite with the walk-in, s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

My bowtie wearing, southern gentleman of a husband ALWAYS stays at the Dunhill when he is in the Queen City on business. I, on the other hand, consider myself a little more trendy. We are definitely the Soulful version of my favorite childhood show Green Acres! Well, the Westin, my usual stop for lux was booked up, sold out! What agony! My charming hubby called the Dunhill and like magic, a room appeared...and the second sold out night all of a sudden became available for one of it's biggest fans!

Upon my arrival, Mike greeted me with a warm smile and all the southern charm a trendy girl could ask for! I was late getting to Charlotte. No problem, the restaurant was open, with great, healthy organic fare that was an absolute delicious dine.

In the morning, complimentary breakfast with all the fresh brewed java I could drink and I was off to a busy day in Uptown. No worries, did not have to walk one block in my 5 inch shoes, another Michael drove me in the Dunhill car exactly where I needed to go.....gratis plus a generous tip of course for the delightful conversation and the safe trip.

Yes, all it took was a two day stay, a generous walk in shower with a soft robe to slip into afterwards and all the pampering a trendy girl could ask for. Westin who?

Room Tip: Ask for corner room away from elevator!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank busybee2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We live in Charlotte and wanted to spend a night downtown to celebrate a special anniversary. The Dunhill fit the bill perfectly. We checked in Saturday afternoon and found the room beautiful and comfortable. We were able to walk down Tryon Street to museums and a delicious dinner at Bernadine's then back to a show at Spirit Square before returning to the Dunhill. Included breakfast the next morning at the attached Harvest Moon was very good, too. Fun to feel like a tourist in your own hometown.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hercules, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

You feel like a traveler when you visit. And I mean that in the old fashioned way. They greet you enthusiastically; they smile; they listen to your needs, and then they respond in the most helpful way. The hotel is older; that's a big part of the charm and feeling like a traveler.

I sent an e-mail to the concierge before my arrival, outlining my interests, ans asking for recommendations. Mali Malfresh responded within the hour (even though it was already 10:00 pm there) with her outstanding suggestions. She had taken the time to read and understand each of the interests I had. Several museums, architectural spots, garden tours, and most importantly - food and beverage. She promised a welcome package would be waiting when I arrived on Friday. Because I landed earlier in the week, I stopped by, and sure enough, the welcome kit was there and I was able to spend those extra hours seeing just a little bit more of Charlotte. And when I returned on Friday, Mali was as delightful in person as she had been helpful.Trust her, and if she suggests the restaurant Blue, enjoy!

The entire staff was friendly and outgoing and welcoming. This was the nicest hotel experience I have had in years. Should I return to Charlotte, this would be the place I'd stay. Nt only is the hotel and staff great, the location is marvelous.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this hotel was recommended by Greg Fisher, of HotelsForBiz@gmail.com He's one of the nicest travel people you could ever work with. Thanks Greg

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We enjoyed everything about our stay. Staff is very courteous and attentive. Great restaurant, Harvest Moon, attached at street level that serves locally produced food. The location is fantastic, in the middle of the entertainment, restaurant and shopping district.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Very centrally located. Easy to walk to many bars and resturants.
The staff is very friendly and helpful.
Self park and valet is at the back of the hotel.
Family had three rooms here. Each a little different.

Rooms a little dark. AC could work a little better.
Breakfast included with room was very good.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family