The Dunhill Hotel
  • Room Service
$142
$139
  • Breakfast included
Hyatt Place Charlotte/Arrowood(Charlotte)(Great Value!)
$104
$88
All reviewshistoric hotelfarm to tablelondon taxiturn down servicedowntown charlottediscovery placekeurig coffee makerlobby barchain hotelswithin walking distancestreet noisesouthern charmtryon stgreat downtown locationqueen bedcorner roommini fridge
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was our weekend to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We had stayed here before, probably for a previous anniversary but I wanted this to be special. Booked it online, requesting a Queen premiere room. Made dinner reservations, also online, at the Harvest Moon Grille (delicious meal!) within the hotel. Perfect setup for dinner and hotel, altogether. Everything was beautifully and tastefully decorated for Christmas. When we checked in we were told we were on the 10th floor. We we entered the room we realized the hotel staff had upgraded us as a surprise for our special occasion! We were in the penthouse room with two balconies overlooking uptown Charlotte, a huge bathroom, king bed and lots of room to lounge around. Beautiful room, great service. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting a special place to stay, even if it's not the penthouse suite!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was searching for a hotel that had some charm and character for a get away weekend/ birthday/ Marriage proposal spot. We both like older hotels and this one fit the bill perfectly. The rooms are clean and have all the amenities that we needed. It has a cozy bar and the Harvest Moon had a delicious breakfast (all locally sourced food).

For us the location was perfect. Lots of little pubs and many of the attractions that make Uptown Charlotte so cool are within walking distance.

Molly at the desk worked with me to set up dinner reservations and flower delivery. She took care of everything. Pete the bartender was entertaining and ran a good bar.

The hotel is small and cozy. I like its history. It has basically made it by the skin of its teeth through the past 90 yrs. I guess its a survivor and I like that. I think it has great character and the staff was kind and friendly. Make sure to ask about its history.

If you are looking for a night at the Ritz or Hilton then go to the Ritz or Hilton. But if something a little different that has the taste of a bygone era is more your style then I suggest calling Molly at the Dunhill. It worked out well for me. My girlfriend and I are now engaged!

Room Tip: A little noisy on the side closet to Tryon St. Call early. Only 100 rooms so it fills up quick.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The second best thing about the Dunhill is its location. It is across the street from Discovery Place, a couple blocks from TimeWarner Center for basketball, hockey, etc., a short walk to Panthers' games, and within easy walking distance of all of Charlotte's downtown activities.

My wife and I found the hotel to be excellent. The room was clean and warm (it was quite chilly outside). The bathroom was spacious. The bed was very comfortable. WiFi was ideal. Free bottles of soda and water are delivered each afternoon. Free newspapers were available in the lobby. Breakfast is included in the price of the room for us. The Harvest Moon is part of the hotel. All foods are direct from nearby farms and are organic---and delicious. Service was pleasant, fast, and exact. Parking is in the deck just a few steps from the back entrance to the hotel and was $12/24 hours, with unlimited entry and exit. The cost of the room was much more reasonable than other center of Charlotte hotels. I am amazed by the bunch of recent negative reviews for this hotel, because it was an outstanding experience for us. We would definitely return here when we visit Charlotte again.
My ONLY complaint was the uncomfortable straightback chairs, both in the restaurant and the room. Everything else went quite well for us.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom c
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Was in Charlotte for a weekend with friends and wanted to stay downtown. I've stayed at the Ritz in Charlotte previously and had a wonderful experience. Unfortunately, the Ritz was ful, so we stayed at the Dunhill. Basically, it's fine, but here's nothing memorable or that would make me return. It's shabby in a way that begs to be redone -- carpet worm through, chairs in the very small lobby become threadbare, grout flaking off in the bathroom. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheDunhillHotel, General Manager at The Dunhill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your valuable review. It is our goal to exceed every guest's expectations and with your feedback it can only position us better to do so. Your concerns have been addressed with our maintenance department and have been repaired.. We sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest the next time you are in Charlotte.
Craig Spitzer

Reviewed November 18, 2012

That's all.
The best part was check-out and brunch at Harvest Moon next door. Oh, and the bar. The bar was good. Cause the bar serves drinks. And you need drinks to stay here. Many drinks. Plus the location is perfect. For drinking if you're not drinking here.

Here's why: the rooms are dinky(yes I know it's old) and stinky (you can be old and not stink).
The bed is a torture device. The wallpaper is peeling. The carpets are nasty. The front desk is cranky.

Room Tip: The tip is don't choose a room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pairandaspare

Dear Guest,
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed cocktails and brunch at Harvest Moon Grille. However we are disappointed that the accommodations at the time of your visit in January 2012 were not up to standard. Please be assured you that over the past several months we have made many improvements in our guest rooms. Thank you for your insightful input and we hope that you will consider returning to see that your experience was the exception and not the norm.
Craig Spitzer