“Just Average”

Ranked #46 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Just Average”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

For over 20 years, my wife has wanted to stay at the Dunhill Hotel. So, for a date night, I bought tickets to a show and booked a Premier Queen Room for Saturday Night.

First, if you arrive from Church Street, the hotel name is not on the parking garage. It says Fifth Third Center or something like that and we had to call the front desk to make sure we were going in the right lot.. Check in was quick and easy.

Many reviews talk about small rooms, so I had reserved a Premier Queen hoping for a little more space. Well, we were given room 1004 on the top floor. If that room was Premier, I would not want to see how small the regular rooms are. The room including the bathroom and mini closet was about 13 by 17. The bath takes up about 9 by 6 of this, so the room is cramped. It seemed more like a small room you would find in Europe over being a Premier room at at US hotel. The wall paper is dark and the room was just not inviting. The bedding while comfortable made a noise each time you rolled over.
The bath was nice with a large shower that easily could accommodate two people, but the cleaning of the shower was a little lacking. There was both orange and black mold in the grout between the marble tiles. I have pics taken on my phone, but they did not come out well. I understand mold in the summer, but when my shower at home is cleaner than the hotels, then I have issues.
There was a small refrigerator in the room with free refreshments, a bottle of regular soda, a diet, and a water. There was a coffee maker in the room but no tea.
Turn down service and the hotels signature chocolates on the pillow did not happen. I went down to the front desk to get two pieces of chocolate and after five minutes of waiting, the desk clerk said they had a new housekeeping manager and could not get to the chocolates. Oh, they did put a second bottle of water in the mine frige. That was it.

Breakfast was supposedly included in the rate. They give you a voucher to use in the restaurant. The voucher says you get full breakfast for two people. My wife ordered a veggie fritatta with a side of bacon. We were told the bacon would cost extra. When they brought the check for breakfast, they said the voucher was only good for $25 and that a veggie fritata, side of bacon, french toast, coffee, and tea came to $31. So the bacon cost $6 and change.
Upon check out, they asked if we needed help with our bags or if we needed water to go, but they did not ask how we enjoyed our stay. I guess that is telling.

I am glad to say that my wife no longer has a desire to stay at the Dunhill again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The building itself is charming and old with a cute lobby including a full bar. The attached eatery is committed to farm to table food. I had a delicious chilled strawberry soup there. The room was on the 10th floor, had a fantastic bathroom with a large sink, marble flooring, and bathtub/shower arrangement. The towels were fluffy and the bed was comfortable with very good down pillows.

I particularly enjoyed being driven to the convention center in the London style cab which the hotel owns and will drive you places for free. The staff were courteous and there was hot water and coffee out whenever I came through the lobby. The front door is locked at 11 P.M., but a room key opens that. There's also a buzzer. The location felt like a good place, but a few blocks over wasn't somewhere I'd want to walk at night. No problem, though, because there are plenty of cabs around Charlotte.

Room Tip: I'd get a room not facing the street next time.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We spent one weekend night at the Dunhill to attend a wedding in Charlotte.

I booked the Dunhill because of its location and historic nature. I prefer these 1920's rehabbed hotels over the chain establishments that all seem to have zero personality.

The location is perfect. Right in the center of all Charlotte's attractions. Literally across the street from Discovery Place, Spirit Square, and Blumenthal Performing Arts Center. Also in walking distance to the NFL (Panthers) stadium and NBA (Bobcats) arena. All the major corporate office headquarters are just a stroll away, too.

Aside from the location, the best part is the staff. Everyone we came in contact with was genuinely warm and helpful. How refreshing.

The Dunhill is quite small - only 60 rooms - so there is never a crowd in the lobby or a crush at the reception desk. Very quiet on the floors, no running in the halls or slamming of doors.

Parking is extremely convenient in a deck right behind the hotel. There is a $12 per day fee added to the room for unlimited in and out parking. This is typical for city hotels where I have stayed and less than some ($20 or more per day in Atlanta).

The room was a generous size, well furnished, and had a historic "lived in" feeling. The complimentary water and soda in the minibar were appreciated as was the free in room high speed internet wi-fi connection. (I really despise it when the so-called upscale hotel chains charge $10 or more a day for internet connection)

Is it perfect? No.
- The room we were in could use a good thorough dusting / cleaning.
- There is some street noise in the room, after all it is in the center of the city.
- Some people might consider the rooms and furnishings a bit on the worn and frumpy side though it was fine with me.
- The bed is too soft for my liking. I think the hotel would benefit from a redo of all the hotel mattresses.

If you are looking for a well located Charlotte hotel with character and personality at a reasonable price, the Dunhill is done right.

Ulsan, South Korea
Reviewed July 17, 2011

This is a beautiful historic hotel in Uptown Charlotte. Not a fru-fru kind of historic hotel but beautifully decorated with large, lovely marble bathrooms, comfy beds, delicious linens and a mini fridge with complimentary water & soft drinks. There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel as well. There are plenty of places to eat and drink within walking distance and it's right next to Discovery Place and Omnimax Theater. I recommend eating at Ri Ra's Irish Pub across the street.

My only complaint would be parking...there is very convenient deck parking, and the hotel validates, BUT you are still charged $12/night. There aren't alternatives...it just would have been nice to not be lulled into thinking the parking was free.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ach27205
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Loved the free breakfast every morning. The accomodations were cozy and clean. Loved all the artwork throughout the hotel. Staff was very accomodating and friendly. Room Service which is provided by the adjoining hotel could be improved, they don't answer the phone and you must leave a message, which they return on their convenience (i.e. 20 min. later). You are within walking distance of a variety of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 3, 2011

What a beautiful facility! My husband and I live in Charlotte but we wanted an anniversary getaway. We made the right choice when we went to the Dunhill. The hotel is elegant and the staff is helpful and friendly. We had dinner and breakfast in the Harvest Moon Grill, a regionally-grown food restaurant. Their service was impeccable and the food was right-portioned. My husband and I plan to make this a semi-annual ritual for us.

Windham, Maine
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Very nice boutique hotel in building with a long and interesting history. Not usually what my wife and I spring for, but we are glad that we did! We stayed in a "Vintage Queen" room which was more than we expected! Furniture all appeared antique, bathroom finishes very nice. Mini fridge with complimentary water and soda was a nice touch. This really felt more like a B&B than a hotel!

Using AAA discount, this room was a touch over 100/nite for weekend. You can NOT beat that rate! This rate also included breakfast each morning in the Harvest Moon Grille (attached/owned by hotel). Oh, parking is easy in the garage behind the place 12/day, again, not too shabby! We would certainly stay here again if in Charlotte!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on higher floor or corner room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple