“Never Again”

Ranked #72 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
pooler ga
“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a party of 5 rooms. Checked in Friday. Took 9 of the children to the pool. At about 10:15 the person in charge of the pool turned the lights out and walked out the room leaving us with 5 toddlers in floaties in the dark. Not fun! Sat morning there was no breakfast items at 8: 45 No one could find the cook Sat evening returned from carowinds to find 2 cell phones missing. contacted front desk and was told the manager would be ther at 9am and that there was nothing she could do. Sat night Headboard fell off bed while sleeping lucky it landed on floor an no one was hurt. It was screwed into wall with no anchors. Sunday morning was told manager never works on weekends contact him Monday. Contacted Bill McNeely and was told he didn't believe his staff would take anything and to file it on home owners because the police were not called Also that it was normal to turn the pool lights out and that it wasn't that dark in there ( tell that to 3 and 5 yr olds). No one seemed concerned about these problems. The phones were only trac phones belonging to 2 of the children but theft is theft and this motel has a problem seeing this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 364janetc364
William M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
First of all, thank you for staying with us. Secondly, thank you for your review and for bringing to our attention the issues you experienced during your stay. I offer our sincere apologies. I am sorry to hear that your headboard fell. They are normally very well anchored to the wall and require a great degree of force to break them loose. We have taken corrective action in the room you occupied to ensure that does not happen again. Our breakfast attendants do their best, but keeping up with an extremely heavy demand can be difficult at times. Again we apologize, and we are taking corrective action in that area, also. In the pool, signs are posted stating that the pool closes at 10:00 PM, and lights do normally do go out shortly after that time. I am very sorry this was a problem for you. I can assure you that your comments are being used as we discuss these issues with our staff and look for ways to improve in these areas. The missing cell phones are a different type of matter. And again, I offer our sincere apologies. Our staff and I feel very bad about this, as this sort of thing is extremely unusual, really non-existent in our hotel. We have an excellent staff, and they prove their honesty on a daily basis by turning in everything they find from money and credit cards to jewelry. Please keep in mind that whenever there is a crime, or even a possibility of one, the hotel is also a victim. We have checked into this to the extent that we can, and will continue to work on it, and of course, advise if there are any developments. In addition, when a crime takes place, there are protocols and procedures that must be followed in order to ensure proper handling. It is always best to file a police report, and they will investigate. It also serves as a record and can be useful if a trend develops. The report must be filed by the victim (owner of the property), the hotel cannot do it. Filing a claim with home owner’s insurance is also the standard procedure, as they consider a hotel your home away from home. The police report is usually required for that, also. These are well established procedures to be followed in cases of missing items, for all hotels, law enforcement, and the legal system in general. We constantly strive to accommodate our guests, and ensure that they have a positive experience that will exceed their expectations. We hope you will return so you can see that a stay in our hotel is normally a great one, free of incidents or problems.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Newark, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I wont dog this hotel because it has its perks...They have a nice hot breakfast, indoor heated pool, fitness center, etc. But upon check out i stood at the desk waiting for a desk clerk for 5 minutes which i think her name is jenni! she never came, a helpfull young lady from the kitchen called out her name and told her to wake up, then she comes to the desk clearly just waking up, yawning, stretching hair all wild. I was so aggravated at this point I just cant believe they have employees like this here, this is a really nice hotel but they need to work on having fresh towels as needed and not have to wait til they wash some, and they need to hire a more decent staff! that can stay awake during their shift

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 871Sandyb
Thank you for staying with us, and for taking time to share your observations and thoughts about your experience with us. We sincerely appreciate your compliments with regard to our breakfast, pool and fitness center. We do our best to please, and we are glad you enjoyed these features of our hotel. As for our shortcomings, I apologize for the wait you had at checkout and for towels. In checking into these issues, I found that apparently, you came to the desk to check out in the wee hours of the morning, and our representative was just returning from delivering express checkout folios at that time. Unfortunately, our breakfast server was using a bit of hotel humor in yelling for our representative “wake up.” Of course, she shouldn’t have been yelling anything, and definitely not that. For the record, sleeping is against company policy, and it is grounds for termination. I have taken corrective action with the employees involved, and I don’t anticipate that happening again. We have increased our towel supply, and believe we have corrected that problem, also. Again, thank you, and we hope to have you back with us again so you can see that your comments were used constructively.
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We booked this Comfort Suites because we needed a large room. We have stayed in many Choice Hotels over the years and this one was not in good shape.

We were traveling from the Raleigh area to visit the UNCC campus and had our son's girlfriend with us. We have stayed in Comfort Suites before that had the larger two queen or two double suite rooms and chose this one for that reason. This was the smallest two double bedroom suite we have been in.

First off, we had a very difficult time finding the entrance road into the hotel from the road. They are located near a strange intersection with acute angles that require you to pass the hotel from one direction and u-turn back to find the entrance road. We tried from other direction that appeared work until you drove closer.

We checked in late evening and the girl was courteous and helpful. The front desk is under construction (hopefully the beginning of many needed upgrades) and showed exposed beams and wires.

We went to our room that smelled stale and old. The furniture was old and worn the kitchenette was not something we needed but when my son tried to open the dishwasher the whole unit came out of the counter. I tried to brush my teeth at the kitchenette sink while someone occupied the bathroom and the smell from the sink (garbage disposal) was horrid.

The thick vinyl and fabric shades were so old and dried out that we could not close them all the way and with the many street and business lights from that side of the hotel made it incredibly bright in our room. I eventually had to get hairclips to pin them closed a bit better so that only the light escaped from the bottom.

We opened the pullout couch and the mattress caved inward - we tried to call to the front desk but the phone connection was poor and kept "going in a out". We walked down the the front desk to ask for a rollaway bed. She was friendly and had a bed sent up to us quickly. The mattress on that was an improvement to the rollaway.

Over all the housekeeping had done a good job with cleaning the old stale room. There was some mold on the shower head.. Water pressure was non-existent. The beds were fairly comfortable. The sound from nearby jets from the airport were very loud throughout the night.

We did not try the breakfast in the morning. All in all, I would have been better off booking closer to the University in a newer hotel. I gave up proximity for a larger room that simply was not delivered.. Even if you try to stay here prior to a flight.... bring earplugs or stay farther away.. Between the noise and the over bright lights, you won't get much sleep at all!

Room Tip: don't book until they renovate
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
William M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
First of all, thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your review. I am very sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. For this, I offer our sincere apologies. As you noted, we do have some renovations under way, and will be continuing with more, hopefully to be completed very soon. This should address and correct all of the physical issues you experienced with your room and the hotel in general. It sounds as if you had one of our largest suites, our one bedroom suite with two full, extra length beds. We do have another room type with two queen beds, and it is extremely large and open, perhaps that type would have suited you better. We would have been glad to change your room type had we known at the time, and of course, if the double queen had been available. We appreciate your acknowledgement of our Front Desk and Housekeeping staff members. All of our employees work very hard to provide excellent service to all of our guests. Again, our apologies for our shortcomings, and we do hope you will consider staying with us again so you can see that our hotel is normally a great place to stay!
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Our family was headed to Williamsburg, VA for the beginning of our Spring Break vacation. We decided to stop in Charlotte overnight to break the trip in half. AAA recommended the hotel and even made the reservations for us. All was well until we went to load our car up the next morning. My husband went to the car to find that it had been broken into the night before. With VERY little help from the staff, we handled everything. The police officer told us that we weren't in the best part of town and that the video cameras in the hotel weren't good enough to cover all areas of the parking lot. Basically, there was no recourse. We had over $1,000 worth of items stolen from our car. The hotel did nothing to help us get on our way or help us clean up all the glass the was all in our car. This happened last Friday and we have tried to contact the manager almost every day since the incident occurred. We have left MANY messages for the manager... none of which have been returned. A simple, "I'm sorry that happened to you!" would certainly go a long way. I have absolutely no respect for the manager of this establishment! We have been in touch with the Charlotte police multiple times since this happened. I have also contacted AAA and told them to not recommend this hotel to others. Word of mouth can do a lot for or against a company. I certainly plan on telling everyone about our negative experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MMT007
First of all, thank you for staying with us. I was very sorry to hear that your vehicle had been vandalized, and items stolen. I can assure you that all of our employees and I felt very badly, and continue to empathize with you in this situation. Please keep in mind that whenever any sort of crime happens in a hotel, the hotel and all of its employees become victims, too. It is something we all must deal with, and fortunately for us, though not for you in this case, it is a very rare occurrence at our hotel. I am very sorry and apologize for not being able to reach you before you wrote this review. The contact information I had for you was not good, and unfortunately, my voice mail was not working at that time, so if you left messages there, they were lost. I do hope you have received the response that I sent just prior to the time you wrote this review, you probably did not receive that until after your review was submitted. Please note that as far as areas go, our hotel and parking lot are as safe as any in the Charlotte area. As the signs we have posted all around our parking lot warn, and I was told your police officer explained, the only way to be sure to avoid loss from car break-ins anywhere is to remove your valuables from your car. I do apologize for not having our usual extra person that normally would have been available to help with whatever you needed in the way of removing glass from your car, etc. We were shorthanded that particular morning, that was not our normal level of staffing on that day. Please rest assured that we have been and will continue to work with the police in their investigation. Hopefully they have found those responsible and they will be out of circulation for a long time to come. We do hope you will consider staying with us again so you can see that a stay at our hotel is normally a great experience.
Madison, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was looking for a deal for while I was attending a conference in Charlotte. I found this hotel on Hotwire. The location was very convenient to everything including getting to downtown where the conference was located. I saved a bundle over the downtown hotels and it took around 7 -15 minutes to get there in all sorts of traffic. There were lots of restaurants along the way too. The hotel staff was courteous and the rooms were clean and comfortable. They met my expectations for the price. In fact, I've never been disappointed by the choice hotel chain.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
William M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Firstly, thanks for staying with us, and secondly, thanks for taking the time to share your observations and thoughts. Your words reflect what our hotel and its caring and hard working staff strive to be on a daily basis. Your recognition and kind words are greatly appreciated. Thanks again, and we hope to see you back soon!
Corydon, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

The staff was extremely attentive and helpful. My room was quiet and comfortable. The TV was a bit small and poorly placed, but I don't really watch TV very often so It did not effect me. Although the pool is indoors, the rooms do not reek of chlorine as I feared. My room was across the hall from the pool and I was only aware of that fact because I saw it when I opened my door. The sitting area was large and comfortable. My room had a kitchen counter with a microwave and refrigerator.
When I checked my phone to insure I received my wake up call, it had no dial tone. I moved the wall plug around and received a dial tone. I was a little paranoid about the phone, but it went off at 4:30AM as I had requested. The breakfast bar was not yet open when I had to leave, but there was fresh coffee and a grab and go bag on the front desk with a few items to eat and drink. The airport is nearby, but don't bother to hunt for a breakfast place, I couldn't find any nearby and did not remember to ask the desk clerk. Not to worry, the Charlotte Airport has more than enough establishments serving the usual unhealthy food frequent travelers are subjected to. Speaking of the Charlotte Airport, their TSA is just as big a pain as most other airports, but they have added the feature of making up their own rules. For example they had me remove my electronic device that was in a TSA approved butterfly bag. I would certainly understand if it went through and they saw a problem, but the dummies would not even try. Thank you again for the George Bush Army.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you, first of all, for staying with us! Secondly, thanks for the great review! We sincerely appreciate your sharing your experience and impressions with others. Our hotel has many outstanding features, and a caring staff, and it’s great to see them appreciated and recognized in this way. We also appreciate your pointing out the few little difficulties you had, and we are working to correct these things during our renovation. I’m afraid I can’t help much with the TSA, though. Thanks again, and we hope to see you back again soon!
Hilton Head, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Biggest complaint, the TV is a little small, but seems even smaller than it is because its on top of an old low dresser. It turns to face either the bed or the sofa. If you like to watch TV in bed you are in trouble, very uncomfortable because the TV is just too low. I slept at the foot of the bed in order to watch TV. The bed was too hard, and the location is poor, nothing surrounds it, have to drive to anything. Just to mention, the toilet paper is somewhat displaced, you have to reach way back to get it.
Other than these things, the hotel was fine.

Room Tip: Pick a good chain, and call after making your reservation to ask questions.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us, and secondly, thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share your impressions and thoughts, and for letting us know how we can improve. I offer our sincere apologies for our shortcomings as you have described them. We are in the midst of renovations, and we believe when complete, the issues you mention will no longer be a problem. As for our location, we are very convenient to the airport, and many of our guests find us convenient to uptown as well as many nearby office parks. From our hotel, you can reach the most popular local destinations in five to fifteen minutes. Our Front Desk is always glad to assist with our custom pre-printed directions. We do hope to see you back again so you can see that your observations are being used constructively, and our hotel will be a great place to stay!