“A good value, but needs updating”

Comfort Suites Airport
Ranked #74 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Goldsboro, North Carolina
“A good value, but needs updating”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My and wife and I were seeing our son off on a flight from Charlotte-Douglas Airport with a early departure, so my son reserved a room for all of us here. I was impressed with the location being so near the airport. It was a little confusing getting to the hotel from Billy Graham Parkway and when leaving the hotel driving to the airport exit ... you need to pull a U-turn in either direction. But I was able to figure it out pretty quickly. Positive impressions: although the hotel is in the airport landing path with planes flying overhead, I heard no plane noise once inside the hotel and the room. The suite was large, with two comfortable double beds, a pull-out couch, a small kitchenette with microwave, small fridge and a wet bar. All rooms were interior and hallways were quiet. Staff was friendly and quick with service. The price was a very good value, with a discount my son received when he booked our room. Negative impressions: The hotel is apparently undergoing renovations at that time we stayed. The lobby tile floor was torn up, as if workers were getting ready to lay new flooring there. Also the carpeting in the hallways looked shabby and outdated. The rooms looked nicely decorated, but I noticed areas that were recently painted and some areas on the walls were obviously missed. I know they couldn't help the situation with the lobby floor, but they need to be careful about checking guests into rooms that look like they have not yet finished renovating. We skipped breakfast because of the early flight, but in the lobby they had a goodie bag at the desk with a muffin, an apple and a bottle of water. I would visit this hotel again for the value, and hopefully they will have finished updating and renovating by that time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
William M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your impressions. We appreciate your pointing out that we are very close to the CLT airport, but amazingly quiet. Our large suites do serve families quite well, and our rates provide excellent value. I do apologize for the conditions in our lobby and property in general, as renovations were underway. We are finishing up as rapidly as possible, which is always difficult for any hotel to do while keeping the property open for business. Hopefully renovations will be complete when you return, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The room furniture has multiple stains as well as the window coverings. The bathroom had mold and badly cracked chaulking. The room was a non-smoking, but clearly used to be a smoking room based on the smell. The walls had been damaged multiple times. I paid $109 for this room and got what I think a $29 room at motel six would look like. I did not get bed bugs, but I expected to.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to write a review. I apologize for the conditions in your room, which according to your review, were definitely not up to our usual standards. We take pride in giving excellent service along with an outstanding product, and again, offer our apologies for apparently falling short with regard to the condition of your suite. Please know that we are in the process of completing renovations, and we are always in an ongoing process of maintaining our property to ensure that every guest will have a great stay. Thank you again, and we hope you will stay with us again so you can see that your experience was the exception rather than the rule at our hotel.
Frisco, Texas, USA
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The room is bigger than most comfort suites (or is laid out better for sure), is near the airport and is at a good price for the area. For a business traveler, it also has a very good work area with multiple plugs (including USB ports) for charging and using various devices.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us, and for your kind words. Yes, our suites are bigger than most Comfort Suites, and they do have a bit of a different layout. I’m glad you enjoyed our new charging station feature, which is a new amenity in all our suites. Thanks again, and we look forward to being of service on your next trip to Charlotte.
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We missed our connecting flight to BWI due to weather and had to spend the night in Charlotte with the only flight out the following evening. Comfort Inn came to our rescue with a discounted rate on a room--large, comfortable suite, late check out (3pm) the following day so our kids could enjoy the pool, and even an offer of their free shuttle to take me to the market! What kind and accommodating staff. Their airport shuttle was not available late at night when we arrived, but they deducted the taxi fare from our bill. The free, hot breakfast was also a treat. Comfort Suites--Thank you for your kindness!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to write this very nice review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. We enjoy doing our best to provide our guests with the best possible service, and sincerely appreciate the recognition you have given. We look forward to having you with us again, hopefully under better circumstances next time.
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We were only passing through Charlotte while driving to VA. We were pleased with the size of the room. Large for a suite. We were worried about the airplane noise but it was nonexistent after about 10:30. Breakfast was average to below. ooms were clean but will need some updating in a while. Neighboorhood is isolated but right off Billy Graham Pkwy.Staff was only average. We did ask for assistance setting the alarm clock which was tricky.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
William M, Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your review!

We do feature our very large and spacious suites! They are a tremendous value! Also, being an airport property, a lot of attention was given to soundproofing, plus we are in a good location, not too much airplane noise anyway. We also take pride on our cleanliness, and we’re always receiving a lot of compliments in that area. The clock radios in all of our suites are preset for a variety of stations, and we are always happy to provide assistance with the time settings.
I am sorry to note your comment concerning our full hot breakfast buffet. Our staff takes pride in having the best food, presentation and service. I apologize for this shortcoming during your stay. I have also noted your concern with our hotel needing updating, and I’m happy to say that we are in the midst of renovations which will accomplish that very thing.

Again, thanks! We hope to see you with us again so you can see that your comments were used constructively, and experience our newly updated hotel with WOW service!
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I am usually a fan of Comfort Suites. They are pretty dependable for providing a nice hotel with friendly staff. I stayed here with my 9 year old daughter before flying out of Charlotte on a weekend getaway. The staff was friendly, but SO unhelpful. I asked two different people if they could help me figure out where I would drop off my rental car before my early flight. Both just told me to follow the signs for the airport. I asked one person where the easiest place to get gas was and was told, just go out to the main road and turn right. It's a bit confusing, because the hotel is off of a divided highway and a bit difficult to get to. I followed her directions and did not see any "easy" gas stations. I had to make a U-Turn and it was confusing. Better directions would have been helpful. I just felt that the staff did the bare minimum of service.

Also, our room was not very clean. There was something (don't want to know what) on the bathroom doorway that looked very gross. Just as I was turning out the light to go to sleep, I noticed the smoke alarm hanging off of the wall.

It just was not the quality that I have grown to expect from Comfort Suites. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: We were given a room above the entrance and heard people arriving late into the night. Kids were yel...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
William M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your thoughts concerning your stay.

I sincerely apologize for what appears to be a lack of attentiveness on the part of our staff. Our staff is such a hard working group, and they strive for excellence in everything they do. This is so unlike them and not an acceptable level of service for our hotel at all. I will definitely be doing some coaching to ensure that they will be better with directions, etc. in the future.
The same applies to the issues in your suite. Again, I offer our sincere apologies. Cleanliness is our number one priority, and our housekeeping staff works very hard to maintain the highest standards. It is evident they must have missed a detail while cleaning, and also the smoke alarm should have been corrected. Again, I will do all possible to ensure that we will not have any more issues like these.

Thank you again, and our apologies.

I do hope you will allow us an opportunity to be of service again, so you can see that your comments were used constructively, and so you will experience the WOW service that we normally provide.
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed July 8, 2012

From the moment I walked in to the front desk to make an inquiry, the courtesy, professionalism, competence was apparent. The reservationist was friendly and expedient. The room met every possible need; it was functional and provided optimal comfort. It was not only beautifully designed, it actually was quite COMFORTABLE. This was the first time I had ever stayed at Comfort Suites. It will be a pleasure to stay at Comfort Suites again in the future. I would recommend Comfort Suites to any discerning traveler!!

2 Thank Carolyn K
Thank you for staying, and for this great review! We sincerely appreciate you sharing your stay!

All the things you mention are things we strive for every day for every guest. It is our pleasure to work hard, having satisfied guests as our reward.

Again, thank you! We hope to see you back with us again!