“Fascinating exhibits. wonderful layout. powerful experience.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 174 things to do in Charlotte
Cleveland, NC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fascinating exhibits. wonderful layout. powerful experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Was there for a Democratic Nat'l convention event. Had not visted before...
I could not even bother with all the hoopla of the DNC because I wanted to keep looking and learning from ALL that the Gantt center had there. From vital civil rights exhibits to James Brown's shoes. Will return again and again.

Visited September 2012

Charlotte, North Carolina
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“The America I Am Exhibit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is a pretty good museum to visit. I had a group of ladies and my family travel with me to see the "America I Am" exhibit. This exhibit was very different from the one we saw in San Francisco, CA. But overall, a good one to see. The museum does get various exhibits. Suggest that you review the website to determine what event is going on during that timeframe.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank dc02109
charlotte, nc
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“Utterly amazing! Do not snooze on this place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I attended my second event at the Gantt Center last night, when I was fortunate to attend a private viewing of the "America I AM" exhibit. I was thoroughly impressed because of the number of original artifacts on display to tell the story of blacks in America, from before Columbus, through the Atlantic slave, to contemporary America. Many of these pieces and artifacts were on loan from other museums and private collections across the country, so it allowed me to see pieces I would likely not see unless I traveled to these cities and visited the various museums and historic sites.

The Gantt center also has educational programs (my first even several months ago was an exhibit and lecture on resistance and rebellion during the Atlanta slave trade). It too was a wonderful event, though I was extremely disappointed to hear faculty from a majority institution in the city and faculty from one the only HBCU in Charlotte were not invited on the platform.

It is conveniently located in Uptown Charlotte (Downtown if you are not from the area), and there is an adjacent parking deck and one across the street at Duke Energy. There is some on street parking, but it is restricted to times, 2 hour limits, etc.

I must see if you are in Charlotte (especially with the current exhibit which will be here until January 1, 2013). If you live in the region, it is DEFINITELY worth the day trip.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank carolinasunshine13
Orlando, Florida
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“One of my favorite places”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was my second visit to the museum. I am never disappointed. I cannot come to Charlotte with out stopping in to see the most recent installation. A good friend of mine is a member and I'm so glad he introduced me to this institution. I have met some great people at the members events living in the city of Charlotte as well as enjoyed the wine, cheese and fresh fruit served.

The after party was also very entertaining on the rooftop.

Visited July 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wonderful Exhibit on African-American History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our family saw the special exhibit "America I AM" exhibit and it was incredibly well done. There was a fee, but I don't think that normally there is one. The facility is centrally located and nice. The children, 11 and 13 really enjoyed it. It's history that was understandable and the artifacts are fascinating. The 7 min film beforehand set the stage beautifully and gave great context to the different aspects of the exhibit. We quizzed them along the way to identify people and incidents and they did well. My husband and I learned new information as well. We did not see any of the regular collection but will see it the next time we are in Charlotte.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank MommyandCrew

Travelers who viewed The Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture also viewed

Been to The Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture? Share your experiences!