“Great for Coaster Enthusiests”
Review of Carowinds

Carowinds
Ranked #11 of 177 things to do in Charlotte
More attraction details
Owner description: A mecca of family fun, this 105-acre theme/water park features rides that thrill and live entertainment.
Raleigh, North Carolina
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great for Coaster Enthusiests”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Carowinds is a great place to visit if you are a roller coaster fan. It has the best range of rides that I have seen. We went with a group that had children ranging from 6 - 14 and there were rides for all of them. The food was not good at all and was very expensive, but this is typical for theme parks (except for Busch Gardens). If you are looking for some great rides at a very reasonable price, then Carowinds is a good choice.

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“First visit to Carowinds, overall, not bad.”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our first visit to Carowinds. We have been to many amusement parks across the country. Carowinds holds it's own in terms of thrill rides (coasters) and your standard amusement park rides, arcades, etc. The indoor, enjoy the A/C for a while options are pretty limited. They seem to have more during the core summer months but seem to lose some attractions when their college students have to return to school. Prices for everything are high, but no different from every other park in the country. Intimidator and Nighthawk are the fastest, smoothest, and best overall coasters at the park. All others are fine, but be prepared for bumpy/jerky rides on the others. They also have a good mix of rides for all age groups, so every age group has a lot they can do.

Visited September 2013
South Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Boomerang Bay Slide is a death trap, an accident waiting to happen.”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I loved going to Carowinds with my family this summer.... but Boomerang Bay, well, it's got it's own story....
NEVER go into either of the two thinner slides that twirl around each other that you can't bring a raft in. TERRIFYING.
I was going to race with my little sister in the slide, and have fun, but as soon as I was in there, I thought I was going to drown.
There is no light, water flows from the low roof above you, and there is no good air flow. I couldn't breathe at all, I swallowed nasty water, it was slow and torturous, and, as soon as I got out, I was left gasping for air, terrified, and about to cry.
Dear owner or creator of this slide:
MAKE IT OPEN ON THE TOP.
I THOUGHT FOR REAL I WAS GOING TO DROWN OR SUFFOCATE IN IT.
That slide gets a negative fifty. Please, please, PLEASE change it! Nobody deserves to go through that.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Kate S
Asheville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing roller coasters, Amazingly high prices”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

It was me and my 3 friends who spent the day last weekend at Carowinds. None of us had kids with us, so I cannot speak to the kiddie areas of the park. The park was clean, well maintained and nicely landscaped. Line cues were well organized and moved quickly. This park has an amazing amount of roller coasters and they are world class. If you are a roller coaster aficionado, you would enjoy this park.
Now for the reason why I will never return. Once you enter Carowinds from the highway, they are geared to rip you off for even the most minute thing. Parking was outrageously expensive, in my opinion, $15.00 to park in their lot and you do not have a choice. So add that to the price of the ticket. You are not allowed to bring in any food or beverage. They have nothing but fried, high fat, incredibly unhealthy food choices available for at least 3-4 times the price of any retail outlet. I am not kidding. A custard cone set me back 8 dollars! A bottle of water was over 3 dollars and for soda the price was higher than that. And they made no effort to offer value with these prices. For example, I bought a foot long hot dog (which is food I typically avoid, but there were just no healthy choices) for over 8 dollars. Condiments offered were mustard and ketchup and that is it! No relish, no onions, nothing like that. The hot dog was the cheapest type you can find, skinny and flimsy in a white bun. There were large pretzels available for 5 dollars! So , no guys, you got me this time, and I had no choice. But you wont get a second chance to violate me. Thanks

Visited August 2013
1 Thank HikerWNC54
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good rides, expensive food, Cedar Fairs now owns them!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Been coming since paramount owned them and ever since Cedar Fairs bought them they have continued to develope better and better rides. Good is high but you can pack a lunch and eat at car then renter the park. Three is not much to look at and poorly themed. I go every year.

Visited July 2013

Been to Carowinds? Share your experiences!