“Murphy Brown Family Day”
Review of Carowinds

and up
Carowinds General Admission Ticket
Ranked #22 of 147 things to do in Charlotte
More attraction details
Owner description: A mecca of family fun, this 105-acre theme/water park features rides that thrill and live entertainment.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The kids had a blast !!! First time ever for the boys and they really enjoyed it. Ready to go back !

Write a ReviewReviews (3,101)
All reviews
in 57 reviews
"chick fil"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We are doing a cedar fair circuit. Fun place but small. We did the entire park in less than a day including the water park. Would not make this a destination.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I thought the rides were good-the Dale Earnhardt ride and the large wooden roller coaster were my favorite. The best thing was we did not wait at all...we came at 5:00 and bought a twilight pass (29.00) The only ride with a line was Earnhardt's with a 6 minute wait. Monday 7/1/13.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My daughter and I visited Carowinds yesterday -- her first time, my first time in seven years. I've been to numerous theme parks over the past 25 years and have visited Carowinds several times in there as it is the closest one to where we live.

The coasters are great fun -- highlights are the Intimidator, Afterburn, and Thunder Road. If you like coasters, this park won't disappoint. We went on a Sunday and arrived in time for park opening and walked on every thrill ride at least one time throughout the day. So glad we did not fork over the extra money for the Fastlane Pass. Even with light walk-on crowds, we were there for 6 hours and could have stayed another 2 to fit other things in, so allow a whole day.

The lunch food is not great. Stay away from the diner beside the Hurler. Food was bland, service was horribly slow, employees unattentive. But the funnel cakes throughout the park are quite good, as is the Rita's Italian Ice stand. Food and drink is typically expensive, and I wish I had thought to buy a single souvenir cup to share between us and just get refills. That would definitely be the way to go!

It's relatively clean, although not smell-free, something that could be rectified if staff stayed on top of it. Even first thing in the morning I couldn't help but think at times that I was still smelling the unfortunate remnants of the day before. If Disney and Universal didn't keep their parks so clean and odor-free, I'd give Carowinds a pass -- but obviously it can be done. The queues are in nice condition and mercifully free of the constant TV looped chatter "entertainment" of years ago. I didn't notice the typical dried gum stuck everywhere or graffitti that I remember from years before. The bathrooms were clean and in working order.

If I could make one suggestion to management -- SIGNS! It's so easy to get turned around in this park or walk in a direction only to find it's a dead end. A couple of times we weren't even sure which direction was the ride entrance and which was the exit. And so many of the little arcade areas and eateries look the same so it's not evident which area of the park you are in; signs would make a world of difference.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have had season passes every year since 2008. This year we decided that we shouldn't get them because it wasn't in our budget and we thought a break would make it more exciting next year. I am regretting that decision now because it was great to have a sure thing to do for the day!

It is really easy to get to and right off of the exit! There is a Wendys right before you go in and it's a great place to eat something before you go in as the prices of food in the park is very expensive. You can also get stamped at the exit and leave, go eat and then come back in! The line at the entrance runs smoothly as they do a bag check, etc. The park itself is situated where you are walking in a circle so its really easy to navigate around the park. All of the attractions are a lot of fun for all ages. I have kids 18, 16, 13 and four so there's something to do for everyone. It's also small enough to let the older kids go off on their own and meet up with you.

The intimidator is their favorite ride and the first that they go to upon arrival at the park. All of the coasters are a lot of fun. The kids section has many rides for the little ones and the characters are scattered about in this area. I myself enjoy the coasters in the kid section. There is a great restroom/changing station in the kids section as well and its always been the place I told the kids to go to if they are lost.

There have many food choices to eat but the food, while very good, is overpriced just as all of these amusement parks are! I always buy a refillable cup in the beginning of the year and that's what we all drink from and the fountain water is free at any drink station!

The water park is a lot of fun with rides for all ages! My little one likes to splash around the wave pool while the older kids go on the slides. There is also a little sprinkler section with pails pouring water and a mini water slide for her. I usually do the rides in the morning and water park in the afternoon and it seems to work out crowd wise like that. But our favorite time to go in in the fall.

When Carowinds turns to Scarowinds that's when the FUN really begins! They have great haunted attractions with awesome photo opportunities. Its a great way to get ready for Halloween! The fountain colors get changed to red and the shows that they perform at this time are very entertaining!

The admission price is pretty steep at $56.99 per person! The rides are all outdated with the exception of "the Intimidator." This is why we did not get the season passes this year, we have seen it all and it has gotten old for us and for that much money we would like to travel to other amusement parks that offer more and newer rides. If you purchase them online they are $46.99 so you save $10.00 but I'm always nervous it will rain and I will lose that money. Of course even if they see a streak of lightning or hear thunder they shut down the rides till it passes and in the South it's common to storm in the summer on and off. They have a twilight price for after 4pm that is $31.99 and that includes the Dino admission (which is also a separate price during the day of $5.00 more per person). I was excited that they were adding an addition to the park and made going for the admission price worth it to me. When I learned it would be an additional charge, it annoyed me and I probably won't pay the $5.00 (30.00 for my whole family) extra to see it. That being said I will visit in the fall when it is Scarowinds and go with a friend that has a season pass for a discounted price.

Either way if I could get the season passes I would, it adds more value to the park visits. I would not pay 56.99 for my family of six to visit for the day. For $360.00 we can go to an amusement park for a lot more attractions and updated rides.