“Carowinds in Charlotte. Lots of fun for kids.”
Review of Carowinds

and up
Carowinds General Admission Ticket
Ranked #23 of 189 things to do in Charlotte
More attraction details
Owner description: A mecca of family fun, this 105-acre theme/water park features rides that thrill and live entertainment.
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place is so much fun! I love it! This park has three main attractions (rides, Boomerang bay, shows) and other things you can do with your family. My family and I have been in all of them, or mostly in all of them, but certainly we prefer the rides and the rollercoasters. It is incredible because they have nice things for the little ones of the family. For example, there is the Snoopy World that my granddaughter loves so much. There you can play with all the characters and ride some thematic attractions. The food is great too. They have around 20 different options of restaurants. Definitely the best of all are the Carolina Corn Dogs, always fresh and delicious. And there are kiosks everywhere to buy some beverages or something to eat. The place is very clean and safe. For me, this is one great place to visit while in Charlotte.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,824)
All reviews
in 28 reviews
"free water"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Went to Scarowinds with 5 friends for the weekend and we had a blast. As always, rides were so much fun, but going at night added a whole new dimension to the experience. There were haunted attractions scattered all throughout the park, but nothing too scary for little ones. Love to go during the summer, but will definitely be back for next year's Scarowinds!

2  Thank Matt B
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have always been a Disney Fan - However, with recently moving to SC I needed to find a park - something to do with the kids - Carowinds and Scarowinds in one day - Long day but Carowinds is great value. Scarowinds was much better than I expected and I doubyt Disney could do a better job. Really good. $80 for a season pass with unlimited admissions and it includes Scarowinds and free parking with special parking for the Gold members and above just moments from the front gate. Food OK - good portions, not bad value but usual park fare - Could do with a few more health choices. Can get a beer which is good. Good for younger kids as well with the new dino park opening- Scarowinds is not for younger children

1  Thank dlowry001
Reviewed October 16, 2012

If you like paying big bucks to sit in traffic and stand in line then this is the place for you. We took the kids last Saturday from the Charlotte area and should have turned around when we saw the traffic jam 30 minutes before the gates opened at 7:00 pm. After an hour in traffic more than a mile up I77 from the Carowinds exit we traveled down I77 past the Carowinds exit and took the next exit to turn around and come back to the Carowinds exit. We thought this was working great since we got to the park in only 5 minutes. Then the second 90 minute wait in traffic started. We coughed up the house payment to get in with 3 hours of rides ahead of us. We picked our first coaster ride and stepped in line. 50 minutes later we actually got to the front of the line and rode the 90 second ride.
There were alot of nice costumes and the park had plenty of ugly displays. Our second ride was better with only a 48 minute wait. Whoopee.
At 15 minutes before 11:00 pm we stopped to get some WAY over priced drinks. My wife wanted a beer!! We waited in line 17 minutes watching slow service with only 2 staff serving way too many unsupervised teens. At 11:02 I asked for drinks (including the beer). I was very promptly informed that beer sales ended at 11:00pm. How nice!! There was no negotiating and no supervisor in sight to plead for mercy.
One more ride and we were thrown out into another traffic jam for an additional hour of quality family time.
Don't fall for the hype. Skip Scarowinds