“Super yummy vegetarian spot - you won't even miss the meat!”

Fern Flavors from the Garden
Ranked #199 of 2,376 Restaurants in Charlotte
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Super yummy vegetarian spot - you won't even miss the meat!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I loved my experience at Fern! They have a cute outdoor eating area as well as a spacious interior. We were seated right away at our choice of tables which is always nice.

Server was super helpful and went out of his way accommodate a picky palate.

Food was scrumptious!! They were also very good at accommodating special requests.

A must stop in Charlotte for sure!

• Visited May 2014

New York City, New York
“Very special place”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I took a friend for dinner at Fern on a lark. We were welcomed by a beautiful and relaxed decor. The real surprise was the food - inventive and gorgeously presented. Good wine list. The menu is seasonal and changes according to what's available. I had an eggplant 'steak' and the portion was so big, I had to take half of it home. Really good service. I'll be back to try more dishes.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kalina I
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best vegetarian options in the area”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We always enjoy our meals at Fern. The preparation is always fresh and appealing to the eye and pallet. They also continue to provide updates and changes to the menu to take advantage of seasonal and local items. It's really nice to go to a decent restaurant knowing they will be more than happy to answer any questions and even make adjustments if necessary. And the staff is always knowledgeable and helpful. The only drawback is it is a very small place. We have always been fortunate to get there early enough that tables were available, but on busy weekend nights, I would make reservations first.

• Visited January 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Been Several Times and Will Continue to Patronize”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've been to Fern about four times, and each time I was pleased with the selection. The brunch is quite good--I usually go for the "chicken" and waffles for brunch. My boyfriends likes the eggs Benedict. For dinner, I've had the pumpkin risotto, which was a little disappointing and the "fish" and chips, which I really enjoyed. The Om burger is good, too.

I like that this is a rustic restaurant--small, intimate, you don't have to dress to impress, and you'll get quality service, good food, and a trendy place to dine.

• Visited December 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best of Charlotte”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

In a town still working to establish its culinary identity, Fern gives Charlotte's food scene credibility. Not only is the menu seasonal (which is how we were meant to eat), but the majority of the food comes from local farms. Granted, I live near the restaurant and may be a bit biased, but I have eaten at most of Charlotte's "premier" restaurants. Although Cowfish, Harvest Moon Grille, and Bistro LaBon are near the top of my list, Fern is number one.

The menu changes seasonally to keep me coming back and features some of the most creative dishes I have seen (a Reuben made of sweet potatoes?!). It's easy to overlook the work that likely goes into creating seasonal menus with local ingredients, but clearly they put a lot of thought into it. The restaurant is small, so reservations are a good idea during peak hours. Service has been solid, and the only negative I can offer is that the "wall of ferns" needs some TLC.

Bottom line: If your palette craves something more than pulled pork or steak and potatoes, Fern deserves a try.

• Visited September 2013