“Small but good for trolley buffs”

Charlotte Trolley Powerhouse Museum
Morristown, New Jersey
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Small but good for trolley buffs”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was the only patron for the first 20 minutes of my visit. But Sam the attendant was extremely helpful, friendly, and eager to show me what the museum had to offer. Not only did I see what was on display, but Sam brought out additional books, scrapbooks, and pictures to help me learn more about the history of the trolley system in Charlotte. I left with a good understanding of how trolley rejuvenation helped spur downtown revitalization, but light rail then came along and put the trolley in the doldrums. Hopefully this is just temporary. Sam was great, and even took my picture as a conductor on the trolley.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Bongo_Bass_Man

Kingswinford, United Kingdom
165 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 269 helpful votes
“Within a waft of Prices Chicken Coup”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Visited the museum after finding it in a book we had received as a gift following our Sons emigration to the USA, firstly, the Museum is more of a large space than a building but breaths life through the people who run and manage it. The museum is in the South side area of Charlotte next to the Charlotte Observer and across the road from Prices Chicken Coup.

The museum houses a street car which you can enter to give you the feeling of yester year transport and beautiful array of old photographs of Downtown Charlotte, guide books state you can ride a street car at the Museum, unfortunately this attraction is no longer available as the street track previously used is now part of the light railway which makes the museum easily accessible from the city centre.

Some years ago plans were put forward to run street cars through Charlotte from North to South dissecting the light railway, unfortunately government funds have been withdrawn from all Museums therefore moth balling the plans. If you are visiting and especially if you live in Charlotte you should make the effort to visit this attraction and support the cause as running street cars in Charlotte would bring in thousands of dollars a year.

The area felt very African American and I must have stood out like a snow flake but everyone we met was warm and friendly during our visit, so much so I sat outside on a bench negotiating the sale of my jeans to local who taken a fancy to them!

Being a tourist we decided to park up and walk the area, a number of the pavements in the area contain plaques and add history to this interesting area, there a number of eateries in the area so you can make a morning or afternoon of your visit.

After your visit grab some chicken to take home, The best in Charlotte?

Visited November 2011
3 Thank j0hnhill
Rock Hill, SC
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“A fun day with grandkids”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

When our grandchildren studied "transportation" in school, we took them to the Charlotte Trolley Powerhouse Museum. The museum is small. The displays showing the contribution trolleys made to areas of Charlotte interested my husband and me. The children's eyes were caught only briefly by them, but the liked climging into an old trolley car.

Of even more interest was getting tickets for the Trolley / light rail cars which were less than 100 yards away. We took a trolley down to Imaginon (Children's museum + public library) and rode the train back.

Visited April 2011