“Unprepared” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Unprepared”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2010

I decided to stay at the Westin for the ACC championship as it was close to the stadium and I have platinum status w Starwood. Unfortunately the hotel was totally unprepared even though they were sold out and hosting the ACC media (and were 3 blocks from the stadium).

The restaurant closed from 2 till 5:30 with a 7:30 game so the only food available were 5 items from the bar / 6 items from room service (if you were willing to pay $6 delivery fee plus 21% service+tax - twice what I paid at the Sheraton Charlotte the previous night).

The bar had 2 waitresses and 1 bartender for capacity crowd. I tried unsuccessfully to flag down a waitress for 10 min, then walked over to ask if they could serve me and still was ignored. Eventually ordered a beer from the bar and gave up on the limited food options.

The hotel lost tons of revenue from both decisions not to extend service and annoyed their customers.

They also had issues cleaning rooms and checking in folks on time. Wen I finally got my room at 3:20 (after repeatedly asking as they weren't calling back as expected), there were still a large number of customers waiting in the lobby for their rooms.

On a side note their is no club lounge or the like so even if you have status or pay for a preferred room you still need to fork out $20+ for breakfast.

Not great service all around.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Ridgefield, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on our way back from picking up our new car in South Carolina. BMW driving school a great experience. We only spent one night but had a nice experience. Including having a running map of an old area of Charlotte to run around in that was really cool. We did have dinner at the restaurant that is part of the hotel that was very nice. Our room was comfortable. The only comment that I would have is that the business center is very small and you have to pay for internet, which at this class of hotel I think is ridiculous. Most hotels these days do provide this free of charge.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WestinCharlotte, Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
We are so happy to know you had a pleasant trip while here in the Carolinas! Ember Grille is a fantastic restaurant and we’re glad you had a change to stop in and experience it. We hope the next time you’re in the Queen City you’ll stay with us again! Enjoy the new car!
cary nc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2010

room was filthy. actually had to be moved to another room. comforter had FOOTPRINTS on it. no tissues, coffee spills, etc. holiday inn express was better than this place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback, we will be sure to use it constructively. I hope the next time you are visiting Charlotte you will stay with us again and let us show you the true Westin experience.
Athens, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Westin in Uptown Charlotte for a wedding in the beginning of October. We checked out and I realized I left my makeup bag. When I retrieved it from "security," my makeup bag was intact, but, every single expensive product was stolen from the bag. This included my $60 skin serum I bought the day before, $100 Lancome Renergie face cream, $25 Shu Uemura eyelash curler and $85 Anastasia Skin Brightener.

I immediately contacted the hotel, which was a nightmare. They denied all wrongdoing and said they had no proof that their maids or security personnel stole the products and intimated that, perhaps my daughter took them from my bag. Finally, after many phone calls, the Director of Security agreed to compensate me with 4,000 Starwood Points, which was supposed to make up for the $300 in lost/stolen cosmetics. At this point, I was so exhausted, I agreed to her offer. Well, I just logged into my Starwood Point account, and guess what, the points are not there. So, not only did they steal from me, they lied to me as well. Now I get to go through the entire process all over again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank champuga
Worldwide in your Neighborhood
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

I was there for a conference primarily for undergraduates. The hotel was nice, and to be expected of a Westin. The food was very expensive, which I am learning to also expect with the Westin. The hotel is across the street from the Charlotte Convention Center, adjacent to a rail line stop, right on the bus line, and a short walk away from downtown restaurants so the location was great. Staff was very accommodating, even with a hotel with a full capacity. Room service was fast, and their response to my requests was prompt. The first room I received was on a high level but clearly inhabited by a smoker, therefore I asked to switch rooms. The next room was very nice and comfortable with a new, clean bathroom. Unfortunately it was on a lower floor with many late night youthful revelers, but the hotel was very responsible with requesting that the guests quiet down. That same night a 4am fire alarm sent us all out onto the street below. I don't blame this on the Westin, as the same security guard I saw the night before was fishing empty beer cans out of the planters the next morning. As for returning, I would certainly come back, however based on the conduct of the students, I don't know if this conference will be allowed back! Oh I forgot to mention we received a $25 credit for the hotel restaurant after the first night, perhaps for our troubles?

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your post! You are right, we are just steps away from some of Uptown Charlotte’s biggest attractions, putting us right in the heart of the Queen City! I am happy to know the Westin associates exceeded your expectations during your trip and will be sure to pass the message along. We hope you can visit us again soon!
Huntersville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

We stayed at the Westin for a long weekend trip for a job interview. The lobby area is nice, and the hotel did provide an early check-in (we arrived 1 hour before check-in time). All other aspects of our stay were mediocre at best.

The first big disappoint was the lack of complimentary in-room wifi. This has become a standard at most other hotels we stay at and was sorely missed on this visit. As other reviewers have noted, the rooms are dated. There is no refrigerator in the room, which would have been a nice addition.

Housekeeping was okay at best. One day we got back to our room around 3pm and it still had not been made up. Toiletries were adequately supplied, but after the first day housekeeping never refilled the complimentary tea (we are not coffee drinkers). When I called the front desk (2 consecutive days) to have the tea restocked, it took more than an hour and they only brought up one tea packet instead of 2 or 3. This might be a tactic to get hotel guests to buy more from the lobby Starbucks, but it did not leave a good impression the hotel's courtesy to guests.

Parking: Pricing was somewhat reasonable (we utilized self park instead of valet), but we continually had problems getting out of the garage with the key card. I noticed we were not the only guest with this problem, and on more than one occasion there was a long queue at the garage exit because everyone exiting had problems using the parking pass.

Room Service: We ordered room service once, when a babysitter watched our daughter in the room one night. The cost: $24 for the kid's menu individual pizza.

We will be visiting Charlotte numerous times the next few months preparing for a relocation, and do not plan on staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WestinCharlotte, Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for your review, and we apologize your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. We are renovating our guest rooms in 2011 and we hope you can experience the new Westin Charlotte the next time you visit the Queen City.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

I am here with my husband for his business conference. He chose the Westin because of its proximity to the Convention Center where all of his business meetings and most of the social events are scheduled. This is our first (and likely last) stay at a Westin Hotel.

Check In - Most hotels can accomodate early checkin. We arrived about noon and our room wasn't ready. The front desk told us to check back in one hour...but it still wasn't ready. They did at least offer to hold our luggage while we waited.

Room (overall) - We were assigned a room on the 18th floor with a nice view over the city. I have to say that the room is not THAT bad...although I have a few comments on the amenties. Hallways are not well air conditioned. On one or two occasions, dirty dishes were left out in the hallway not just overnight but until well into the afternoon.

Bathroom - The tub has 2 shower heads. You would think that's great except they're positioned too low for someone who is 6' tall! The water pressure is also fairly low. The tub has a curved shower curtain which looks like it hasn't been cleaned in months...there's all that pink stuff growing in the bottom seam! Yuck! There are even a few places around the tub with pink mold which tells me that the walls don't really get cleaned often enough. Watch out for hot water coming out of the sink! You have to turn the cold all the way on first, then add just a little hot water to adjust the temperature. Too easy for a child to get burned (fortunately, we didn't have any small children with us.) On a positive note, they do have an extra swing away mirror on the wall - one side is regular and the other magnifying.

Bedroom - We stayed in a king bed...it was nice and comfortable with plenty of pillows. The bed is topped with a sheet, down comforter and then another very thick comforter inside a duvet. You definitely won't be too cold here...but that much bedding makes for very heavy layers at night.

When we arrived, the desk lamp head was broken and the light in the closet was hanging slightly off the wall. We reported both to the front desk that evening but it didn't get fixed until we called about it again the next afternoon. (Actually, they fixed the lamp but I didn't bother to remind them about the light in the closet.)

Housekeeping - Okay, here's where it gets pretty bad. It takes ALL DAY to get your room made up!!!! I mean, most hotels will wait until you've gone out of your room in the morning and then slip in to make it up. Not only was the room not ready when I got back in the mid-morning, but it still wasn't ready after lunch! There were days when it wasn't ready until 4pm! Now I know why our room wasn't ready on the day of check in!

We stayed 6 days/5 nights and had at least 2 people on housekeeping staff. HK #1 made the bed, gave fresh towels and emptied the trash can (yes, singular...there was only one that we had between the room and bathroom.) I had made coffee the day before and didn't have a stirrer...so I used the ice tongs. HK#1 didn't wash the tongs or the coffee drippings from the dresser or top of the ice bucket nor did she empty the coffee grinds. Next day, the ice bucket STILL had coffee drippings on it and the coffee grinds from 2 days were still there (I finally washed it out.) On day #4, HK#2 did a really good job cleaning (although cleaning wasn't done until about 3:30 - 4:00 pm and we were pressed for time to go to a formal dinner that evening.) It's now day #5...nearly 3:00 in the afternoon. I'm in the lobby (using the free internet) and at last check (about an hour ago) housekeeping hadn't touched our room (although the cart has been in the hallway all morning.) In the past day or two, I have spoken with other ladies whose husbands are here for the same convention and got the same feedback from them as well concerning the housekeeping.

Dining - haven't dined here at all this trip - too expensive.

Pool - didn't use...there is an indoor lap pool and an excercise room. Lockers are available along with a sauna in each...again, didn't get to use it.

Internet - yes, it's $12.95 for 1 day's worth of internet access. Wifi is free in the lobby but you have to re-connect every 30 minutes...don't ask me why! At least the lounge chairs are comfortable enough!

Location - right next door to the Convention Center HOWEVER...they need a covered skybridge between the hotel and CC for times when the weather is bad (last night it POURED). Walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc. 1 block to NASCAR attraction and LYNX light rail. Buses and taxis available. Walking distance to Carolina Panthers stadium.

Misc - flat screen tv is nice. In room safe to keep my laptop in while I'm out of the room is a plus. Most of the staff is quite friendly, thanking us for our stay, asking "how are ma'am", etc.

Overall, the hotel is not that bad, however, given the price (we are paying $179/night) I expect better housekeeping service. Maybe the hotel should hire additional housekeeping staff so the job can be done a little quicker.

Hotel management commented on several reviews, saying that they will update the hotel next year. They should consider adding a small refrigerator to each room, a 2nd wastebasket, and a larger ice bucket (the one there is pretty small.)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WestinCharlotte, Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
Thank you very much for your post concerning your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize you did not receive the true Westin experience on your trip here in Charlotte. We will certainly use your feedback constructively and hope in the future you will choose The Westin Charlotte again.