“Nice Hotel - Expensive Food”
Review of Westin Charlotte

Westin Charlotte
Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Worldwide in your Neighborhood
“Nice Hotel - Expensive Food”
Reviewed November 20, 2010

I was there for a conference primarily for undergraduates. The hotel was nice, and to be expected of a Westin. The food was very expensive, which I am learning to also expect with the Westin. The hotel is across the street from the Charlotte Convention Center, adjacent to a rail line stop, right on the bus line, and a short walk away from downtown restaurants so the location was great. Staff was very accommodating, even with a hotel with a full capacity. Room service was fast, and their response to my requests was prompt. The first room I received was on a high level but clearly inhabited by a smoker, therefore I asked to switch rooms. The next room was very nice and comfortable with a new, clean bathroom. Unfortunately it was on a lower floor with many late night youthful revelers, but the hotel was very responsible with requesting that the guests quiet down. That same night a 4am fire alarm sent us all out onto the street below. I don't blame this on the Westin, as the same security guard I saw the night before was fishing empty beer cans out of the planters the next morning. As for returning, I would certainly come back, however based on the conduct of the students, I don't know if this conference will be allowed back! Oh I forgot to mention we received a $25 credit for the hotel restaurant after the first night, perhaps for our troubles?

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
WestinCharlotte, Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Thank you for your post! You are right, we are just steps away from some of Uptown Charlotte’s biggest attractions, putting us right in the heart of the Queen City! I am happy to know the Westin associates exceeded your expectations during your trip and will be sure to pass the message along. We hope you can visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We stayed at the Westin for a long weekend trip for a job interview. The lobby area is nice, and the hotel did provide an early check-in (we arrived 1 hour before check-in time). All other aspects of our stay were mediocre at best.

The first big disappoint was the lack of complimentary in-room wifi. This has become a standard at most other hotels we stay at and was sorely missed on this visit. As other reviewers have noted, the rooms are dated. There is no refrigerator in the room, which would have been a nice addition.

Housekeeping was okay at best. One day we got back to our room around 3pm and it still had not been made up. Toiletries were adequately supplied, but after the first day housekeeping never refilled the complimentary tea (we are not coffee drinkers). When I called the front desk (2 consecutive days) to have the tea restocked, it took more than an hour and they only brought up one tea packet instead of 2 or 3. This might be a tactic to get hotel guests to buy more from the lobby Starbucks, but it did not leave a good impression the hotel's courtesy to guests.

Parking: Pricing was somewhat reasonable (we utilized self park instead of valet), but we continually had problems getting out of the garage with the key card. I noticed we were not the only guest with this problem, and on more than one occasion there was a long queue at the garage exit because everyone exiting had problems using the parking pass.

Room Service: We ordered room service once, when a babysitter watched our daughter in the room one night. The cost: $24 for the kid's menu individual pizza.

We will be visiting Charlotte numerous times the next few months preparing for a relocation, and do not plan on staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
WestinCharlotte, Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for your review, and we apologize your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. We are renovating our guest rooms in 2011 and we hope you can experience the new Westin Charlotte the next time you visit the Queen City.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I am here with my husband for his business conference. He chose the Westin because of its proximity to the Convention Center where all of his business meetings and most of the social events are scheduled. This is our first (and likely last) stay at a Westin Hotel.

Check In - Most hotels can accomodate early checkin. We arrived about noon and our room wasn't ready. The front desk told us to check back in one hour...but it still wasn't ready. They did at least offer to hold our luggage while we waited.

Room (overall) - We were assigned a room on the 18th floor with a nice view over the city. I have to say that the room is not THAT bad...although I have a few comments on the amenties. Hallways are not well air conditioned. On one or two occasions, dirty dishes were left out in the hallway not just overnight but until well into the afternoon.

Bathroom - The tub has 2 shower heads. You would think that's great except they're positioned too low for someone who is 6' tall! The water pressure is also fairly low. The tub has a curved shower curtain which looks like it hasn't been cleaned in months...there's all that pink stuff growing in the bottom seam! Yuck! There are even a few places around the tub with pink mold which tells me that the walls don't really get cleaned often enough. Watch out for hot water coming out of the sink! You have to turn the cold all the way on first, then add just a little hot water to adjust the temperature. Too easy for a child to get burned (fortunately, we didn't have any small children with us.) On a positive note, they do have an extra swing away mirror on the wall - one side is regular and the other magnifying.

Bedroom - We stayed in a king bed...it was nice and comfortable with plenty of pillows. The bed is topped with a sheet, down comforter and then another very thick comforter inside a duvet. You definitely won't be too cold here...but that much bedding makes for very heavy layers at night.

When we arrived, the desk lamp head was broken and the light in the closet was hanging slightly off the wall. We reported both to the front desk that evening but it didn't get fixed until we called about it again the next afternoon. (Actually, they fixed the lamp but I didn't bother to remind them about the light in the closet.)

Housekeeping - Okay, here's where it gets pretty bad. It takes ALL DAY to get your room made up!!!! I mean, most hotels will wait until you've gone out of your room in the morning and then slip in to make it up. Not only was the room not ready when I got back in the mid-morning, but it still wasn't ready after lunch! There were days when it wasn't ready until 4pm! Now I know why our room wasn't ready on the day of check in!

We stayed 6 days/5 nights and had at least 2 people on housekeeping staff. HK #1 made the bed, gave fresh towels and emptied the trash can (yes, singular...there was only one that we had between the room and bathroom.) I had made coffee the day before and didn't have a stirrer...so I used the ice tongs. HK#1 didn't wash the tongs or the coffee drippings from the dresser or top of the ice bucket nor did she empty the coffee grinds. Next day, the ice bucket STILL had coffee drippings on it and the coffee grinds from 2 days were still there (I finally washed it out.) On day #4, HK#2 did a really good job cleaning (although cleaning wasn't done until about 3:30 - 4:00 pm and we were pressed for time to go to a formal dinner that evening.) It's now day #5...nearly 3:00 in the afternoon. I'm in the lobby (using the free internet) and at last check (about an hour ago) housekeeping hadn't touched our room (although the cart has been in the hallway all morning.) In the past day or two, I have spoken with other ladies whose husbands are here for the same convention and got the same feedback from them as well concerning the housekeeping.

Dining - haven't dined here at all this trip - too expensive.

Pool - didn't use...there is an indoor lap pool and an excercise room. Lockers are available along with a sauna in each...again, didn't get to use it.

Internet - yes, it's $12.95 for 1 day's worth of internet access. Wifi is free in the lobby but you have to re-connect every 30 minutes...don't ask me why! At least the lounge chairs are comfortable enough!

Location - right next door to the Convention Center HOWEVER...they need a covered skybridge between the hotel and CC for times when the weather is bad (last night it POURED). Walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc. 1 block to NASCAR attraction and LYNX light rail. Buses and taxis available. Walking distance to Carolina Panthers stadium.

Misc - flat screen tv is nice. In room safe to keep my laptop in while I'm out of the room is a plus. Most of the staff is quite friendly, thanking us for our stay, asking "how are ma'am", etc.

Overall, the hotel is not that bad, however, given the price (we are paying $179/night) I expect better housekeeping service. Maybe the hotel should hire additional housekeeping staff so the job can be done a little quicker.

Hotel management commented on several reviews, saying that they will update the hotel next year. They should consider adding a small refrigerator to each room, a 2nd wastebasket, and a larger ice bucket (the one there is pretty small.)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
WestinCharlotte, Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
Thank you very much for your post concerning your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize you did not receive the true Westin experience on your trip here in Charlotte. We will certainly use your feedback constructively and hope in the future you will choose The Westin Charlotte again.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed October 27, 2010

First, let me say that I travel frequently both domestically and internationally and have stayed in a variety of hotels. This is the first time I feel compelled to write a bad review. The hotel rooms were dirty and service was terrible. Bathroom had hair on the floor and smudges still on the mirror. I left a New Tempur-Pedic pillow in the room and called the hotel to recover it. Each time I was transfered to the security desk and they requested I call back later and see if housekeeping had turned the pillow in. After about 5 or 6 calls they did say they found the pillow and I had to give my credit card info to get it shipped to me. It was not my pillow. I called management and received a curt response that they would refund the shipping charges. (but they have still not done this ). I can only say that this hotel has zero commitment to customer service. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank nctraveler43
Charlotte
Reviewed October 14, 2010

To celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary, we decided to stay at the Westin uptown. The staff was great in putting us on a high floor, but this room happened to be across from the bride to be... very loud party and oblivious to other guests. All other like rooms (corner rooms overlooking city) were booked by the wedding parties except the 13th floor. Staff moved us and everything was fine from there; just a disappointing start as I had gotten there early to enjoy the amenities of the hotel, but instead spent the time managing the room change and getting increasingly disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
WestinCharlotte, Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, October 22, 2010
We apologize your anniversary celebration got off to a rocky start! We hope that once you were moved you were able to enjoy the evening. We will be refreshing our guest rooms in 2011 and would love to have you see the new Westin Charlotte experience for your 4th anniversary. Thank you for choosing us for such a momentous occasion. We hope to see you soon!
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 9, 2010

This place doesn't come close to being worth the price. Rooms are way past ready for renovation/update - carpet frayed, chipped paint, worn furniture, drapes with stains to name a few things. The $12.95/day cost of internet is a joke. Once you fork over this ridiculous fee just to be able to do some work in your room, you are seated at one of the most uncomfortable and old desk chairs imaginable. Room never completely cooled. Sink in bathroom had no cold water. I could go on, but ...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
WestinCharlotte, Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
We apologize The Westin Charlotte did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. We would like to let you know that we are indeed renovating our rooms beginning January 2011! We have recently renovated various areas of our hotel and are excited to begin the last leg of the renovation process. We also have now made WiFi available for free in our Lobby, Lobby Bar and Starbucks. We hope you will stay with us in 2011 in one of our refreshed new rooms and enjoy the free WiFi!
North Carolina
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I wasn't expecting much from the Westin, since my experiences with these meeting hotels hasn't been all that great in the past, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Westin Charlotte. The service was impeccable, from the front desk to the maids to the garage attendants. Meeting banquet food is usually not memorable, but our meals and break service were excellent with very attentive staff. The location is convenient -- within walking distance of restaurants and museums and a light rail station right at the hotel, from which you can reach malls and other venues. The room was comfortable and clean with all the usual amenities. I would return to the Westin Charlotte for personal travel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business