“Great Location but Desperately Needs Updating” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin Charlotte

Westin Charlotte
Ranked #29 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Jackson, MS
“Great Location but Desperately Needs Updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2009

When I travel for conventions or other large gatherings, I tend to stay at the sponsored hotel for convenience. I must say, when we pulled up to the Westin in Charlotte, it looked very impressive. The Concierge and Front Desk staff are fantastic. Friendly greetings and smile with what seems to be a genuine sincerity. The coming and going seems to be the best part of the stay. As I stepped out of the hall to my 7th story room, the first thing I noticed was two double beds. My reservations were for a king but since I was traveling by myself, not a problem. The room offered nothing more that a comparable express hotel room as far as features but did include a minibar. The bathroom seem outdated. The tub was in crappy shape with the stopper laying upside down in the drain with potential for going right through my foot. The spigot was turned sideways and was just not something I would consider customer friendly The nice 40+ inch HD tv was a nice added feature but was useless in that there were no HD channels that I could see. Every channel said Analog when surfing. As with any downtown premium hotel, the food prices tend to be high and this was no exception at the Westin. As I will tend to spend one night relaxing with a movie and room service, I could not bring myself to pay $20+ for burger, fries, and a drink. Breakfast was out of the question. I would stay at the Westin again for lets say, a weekend package for under $99.00, but not worth the $212, including taxes, I paid for this trip.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Riverview, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

Have been to many Westins and this was not quite like most Westins. I was "upgraded" because of my SPG Gold but I missed what the upgrade was. The view of downtown was wonderful and the locations is very convenient to the Convention Center.

The room was small and routine not with the usual Westin modern decor. The bathroom was among the smallest I have seen in any hotel - you had to close the door to get to the shower.

The pool was closed and there was no jacuzzi. This location does not do the Westin UnWind.

Minibar and phone outrageously overpriced.

Great for location but otherwise not worth it with other choices.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

Almost everything about the "Grand Deluxe" room that I reserved on the preferred 24th floor at the Westin (including the price) was misleading and quite disappointing to say the least. The shower heads in the bathroom were great, as was the view of Charlotte and the LCD television. Everything else was a major let down.
The "heavenly bed"... quite ordinary really. Yes it was comfortable, but it ranked right up there with most average comfortable hotel beds. The sheets felt rough and scratchy and not at ALL heavenly. The pillows were a mess and felt as though they had reached their final days.
The "heavenly bathroom"... biggest disappointment of all. The towels were AWFUL. They were coarse and stiff and far from the luxury I had expected. Also, no robes. The tub was small, as well as the bathroom itself (definately not grand).
The indoor pool.... free only for KIDS. Adults must pay. After paying 300 dollars for the room, I found this to be ridiculous. Tacky, really.
If I return to an uptown Charlotte hotel, it will definately not be the Westin. Dunhill and Omni all the way.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Alexandria, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

The rooms are spacious, wonderful soaps, great showers and the beds are marvelous. Front desk and concierge helpful. Fast elevators and great location. The food options are limited. We stopped for Sunday lunch, nothing but a breakfast buffet ($25.00)available at 1pm on Sunday afternoon. A Starbucks Coffee Kiosk is available if you want to pay over five dollars for a boxed yogurt and a bottle of orange juice. We went to bar to order, balancing plate on small tables. There was only a server, then a unmotivated waiter, we ordered from the bar and picked up our own drinks. The food order was inaccurate so the diner who ordered a shrimp flatbread received pulled pork, the Caesar Salad was four leaves of Romaine with a parmesan slices - certainly nothing to treat the taste buds. Hamburger was fine though. My recommendation is to stay at the Westin but walk a block or two for food. Gym and pool added charge, refrigerator locked, in room internet added charge though lobby internet access available.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2009

My husband and I went for Valentine's Day and we had a great time. We actually live near Charlotte, but come to the Westin when we want to relax and be pampered. The rooms are always clean (I LOVE the Heavenly bed by the way) and the staff is very friendly.

The bar is a great place to hang out on a Friday or Saturday night if you don't feel like walking uptown or paying for parking elsewhere.

The Ember Grille has the best breakfast buffet I have had yet!! The food is always hot and fresh and they make fresh omelets if you are interested.

Overall, I think this is a good hotel for the price and will definitely be returning in the near future.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ljohnson01, Executive Office at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, April 30, 2009
Thank you very much for your kind words and for allowing us to share in your Valentine's Day celebration! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Cary NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel several times over the past couple of years and the service and rooms get progressively worse. This past weekend, it hit an all-time low! On arrival (Friday at around 6pm), there were two people working the registration desk with approximately 10 guests waiting to check in. In the room, there was a dirty towel hanging in the bathroom that appeared to have make-up on it from a previous guest. On our second day, we returned to the room in mid-afternoon to notice that our room had yet to be serviced. I call guest services to find that you must now request for your room to be serviced...you do that by placing the reverse side of the "Do Not Disturb" card on your door. Oh, that card that we didnt have in our room. After 2 calls to Guest Services and an hour and a half later, our room was finally cleaned. To top the weekend off, my incidentals were charged to both my credit and debit card and the process of fixing that resulted in dealing with two extremely rude people in the Accounting department...only for them to discover that they were in error! I will likely NEVER return to this hotel! Pathetic representation of the Westin name!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two reasons...hotel name and convenience for business. It cost over $500 for three days and they wanted $5 extra a day to use the pool or gym. I had one bar of soap in the sink and I asked housekeeping to leave me another for the tub and an extra cream for the coffee as one was not enough to lighten my coffee. I received neither! For an upscale hotel they do a very poor job. I will not stay at this hotel if ever in Charlotte again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — paying to use gym and pool/ no airport shuttle
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)