“very disappointing”

The Westin Charlotte
Ranked #33 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed December 9, 2008

I was told when making my reservation that it would be put in the computer that I wanted a high floor. Also, since I paid $20 extra a night for a "superior" room I would be given a larger room. Somehow this was not relayed to the rude wonam who checked me in. She stated she was going to put me on the 5th floor despite my request, the fact I am a Starwood Preferred Guest, etc.

I had a wonderful view of a construction rig, which worked all weekend long. The bed was composed of polyester duvet which woke me causing me to sweat profusely each night, not so heavenly. The heavenly shower appeared great on the website however only one head of mine worked. I called for help but they never fixed it while we were there. Did I mention the housekeeper who instead of propping the door open while cleaning a room to allow other guests to sleep, allowed it to slam with each entry.
I agree with the previous reviews. I was so disappointed with the lack of customer service.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 1, 2008

Stayed here this past Thanksgiving weekend, and was nothing but surprised. The lobby and public areas are pretty much exactly what you think of when you think "Westin." Upon check-in, we were upgraded to a suite of about 700 square feet with two full baths, which was in itself a great thing. The staff was nothing but friendly our entire stay; associates always had a friendly greeting when they passed in the hallway. You don't see that personal, warm feeling from most hotel staffs. We had breakfast in the restaurant one morning. The hostess was very nice, but the server (Hak was her name) was such a delight. She was the most friendly server I've ever seen in a hotel. Attentive, too--our glasses were never empty! She really helped us end our visit on a high note.

The only issue I had with the hotel was that the hallways could use a good steam cleaning. The carpet is looking a bit dingy (at least on the 12th floor). But this is such a minor detail, so who cares?

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2008

When in Charlotte, I highly recommend staying at the Westin.

It was busy, but the check in process was efficient. The lobby was so serene with its rock fountain and oversized pillow-filled couches. My husband and I were impressed with the modernity and cleanliness of the rooms. Starbucks coffee, tazo tea, and Westin bath products, including white tea soap, were among the amenities. The room rate included breakfast, our choice from the menu, not some cheesy packaged danish deal.

The stay didn't go over without a hitch. There was a problem accessing the garage and with an order for room service, both of which were addressed promptly and courteously.

Between the excellent service, beautiful surroundings and the breakfasts in the Heavenly Bed we didn't want to go home and can't wait to go back.

Reviewed November 3, 2008

Checked into the Westin for a one night "get-away". The room was OK, however the furniture was scratched, and the bathroom tile had some mold growing in it. The big problem is that the walls are VERY thin. There was a group across the hall that were extremely loud. We called the front desk and complained and they sent up secruity to tell them to keep it down. But the noise continued well into the morning. The worst part was that at 7am we woke up because we could clearly hear a man and woman "going at it" in the next room. I have stayed at many many hotels in my life and this is the first time I have heard "that" through the walls. Overall the hotel was OK- but I expected so much more for the money. I will look at other options in Charlotte before plunking down the $$ at the Westin.

We also ate at the Embers restaurant. It too was just OK- the service was good, the menu was very limited and was very overpriced. The food was hot, an the presentation was nice, but again there are better places in Charlotte.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2008

The Charlotte Westin is gorgeous. Fantastic architecture, great lobby space, gorgeous rooms. The on-site restaurant is excellent, and actually rated quite highly across the city. The location is wonderful, being in walking distance to Uptown Charlotte (which, in most cities, is "downtown"...), B of A Stadium, and plenty of eating choices.

However, service was rude. Houskeeping was lackluster. Check-in was horribly rude. And the pool area was overrun with children. Of course, kids and pools mix, and I understand that. But this Westin has only a "lap pool," located within the gym (tho in a wonderful location, with a deck overlooking town). Further, it is an indoor lap pool. Again, within the gym. So, you take an indoor lap pool, confined within the walls of a gym, and add 20 kids... it's LOUD! Lap pools aren't deep - they're meant for swimming laps. The parents of these kids were horribly rude, in that they did nothing to control dive bombs and other such antics in a 3 to 4 foot deep lap pool. To the hotel's credit, when I called from the pool, and they heard the noise in the background, security was sent. Children and pools usually mix, but NOT in a business hotel, and especially NOT in a lap pool, in a gym, meant for excercise.

I did get this hotel via Priceline, and for about $180 less than the online hotel price. I don't ever like to think that poor service (I'm not including the pool here - just the service overall) is due to my Priceline reservation. I use Priceline as a way to sample new hotels. If I like a place obtainted via Priceline, I'll book that place again thru the hotel's website. Simple! I did let the GM of the hotel know of this, and there was some minor compensation, but nothing that made up for the poor service experienced while staying at the (gorgeous) Westin.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Charlotte for the Kansas City/ Carolina Pathers game. Our room was not as big as I would have expected, but it was very clean and had a great view. The bedding is very comfortable and the bathroom was large. We did request a refrigerator and it was delievered to our room soon after we checked in.

The location was great! Walking distance to the Panther's stadium as well as great bars and restaurants. We ate at Morton's Steakhouse which was amazing. The hotel bar is relaxing and has a bar menu for late night snacks. We had a great time- no stress or drama!

Reviewed October 8, 2008

This hotel is very nice, modern and is the closest hotel to the Charlotte Convention Center. Ember Grille has a great breakfast buffett. Bedding and shower heads are excellent. though rooms are not huge. This hotel does lack a jacuzzi. Definitely request a view of the city skyline and on a higher floor or you'll be looking over the top of a parking deck and highway. I am an SPG member and the first room we rec'd had this bad view, so I requested a change and was given a skyline view on a higher floor. Concierge was frequently MIA and as a result we had some difficulty making some dinner reservs.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank internjsp