“GREAT ROOM, BUT $25 A NIGHT EXTRA TO PARK?”
Review of Westin Charlotte

Westin Charlotte
Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Chicagoland
“GREAT ROOM, BUT $25 A NIGHT EXTRA TO PARK?”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Had a nice room with a King-sized bed in the Westin. No problems with the room. As far as parking my rental car, $25 a night is a rip-off, especially if I am paying $200+ a night already for the room. Why do hotels do this?

Went to a convention next door at the Convention Center and you would think that the parking would be "comped" or at least discounted if you stayed at the Westin.

Did NOT eat at their restaurants. Thought they were overly expensive. Drove to a local Waffle House instead for breakfasts.

Front Desk at Check IN - the staff member Andreana (I believe that was her name) was exceptionally nice in pointing out directions and places to eat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
WestinCharlotte, General Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We value having you as a guest and apologize we were unable to exceed your expectations. We do hope you will stay with us again soon so we can show you a true Westin experience. Be well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel is primed to be first class but the missing element involves attention to detail. The signage to the Westin is conspicuously absent. I missed the turn into the entrance twice while trying to negotiate the traffic. When you turn in, there is no signage to indicate where temporary parking is (to load and unload luggage and to check in). The only area identified is the valet parking and the valets just want you to move if you are not using their services but they don't tell you where. Once inside, there is no signage to tell you how or where to line up to check in. This is problematic when they have big crowds as they did when I tried to check in. But the worst oversight I experienced was with the check in process. I arrived at the hotel several hours before check in to prepare for a presentation. My room was not ready and I was told that I would be called when the room was ready. I sat in the lobby watching others get checked in with no problems. I even periodically checked with the front desk a couple of times just to make sure. I was reminded that I would be called but I never was. On my last check several hours later, I was told my room was ready but I had missed my presentation. The manager apologized and comped my parking. While it was something, I had missed the major reason I came to Charlotte, had to pay $175 for it and was comped $18. Gee, thanks.
Otherwise, my stay was good. Most of the staff was helpful, professional and attentive. My room was clean, the view from my room was beautiful and the bed was amazingly comfortable, but at this price point, this is what I expect. I paid more than this experience was worth to me. If they paid attention to the details, this could have been a better experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We will use this feedback to help us better improve the overall guest experience in the future. I hope you will stay with us again soon, so we can show you a true Westin experience. Thank you again for being our guest.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Was in Charlotte for a brief overnight for a downtown event, and picked the Westin for its downtown location and close proximity to where we needed to be. I did not have a lot of time to spend at the property, but would not have minded a chance to lounge a bit at this beautiful facility. We were upgraded to a corner Grand Deluxe Room overlooking downtown Charlotte, and the room on the 22nd floor provided some pretty spectacular views of the city. If you're able to get a room facing the city, you won't be disappointed, especially on a higher floor. I'm very fond of the Westin bed, and this one was as good as always. A minor cleanliness issue, the fan vent above the shower was caked with dust and needed to be cleaned pretty badly. Also, I'm not sure that the thermostat in my room was functioning properly, as I had it turned down to 66 degrees for sleeping, but I'm pretty sure that it never got to that temperature, as it was warmer than I like in the room while sleeping (although not terribly uncomfortable, thanks to a cool night outside). Overall however, The Westin remains a favorite choice of mine when traveling, and The Westin Charlotte is a great choice when traveling to Charlotte.

Room Tip: High floors facing the city offer superb views of downtown Charlotte.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay. We do hope you will visit us again soon! Be well!
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Rooms are nice and clean. Front desk staff are capable but not the friendly, excellent employees you'd expect at a Westin (how many times should it take to code your room key for the parking deck - $18 a day). They don't have receipts on letterhead because they are green? I think it's because they are cheap and cutting corners. Ditto on the hidden concierge sign because the hotel is too cheap to have one. Air conditioner was extremely loud and woke me up several nights along with those "frat boy" conference attenders the previous traveller complained about (and I'm at that conference). I'm as angry as she is!

Maid staff was friendly and excellent. If it wasn't a conference hotel I'd be just as happy at a Holiday Inn Express where you get what you pay for and aren't nickeled and dimed to death.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize we were unable to exceed your expectations during your visit. We do hope you will stay with us again so we can show you a true Westin experience.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Charlotte Westin. The location is great, the check in was efficient and very friendly. I dined at both restaurants (Embers and Lobby Bar) and had great meals and good service. The elevators were extremely fast and I rarely had to wait more than 30 seconds before one was available. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. It is a 25 dollar flat fee for a taxi to get here from the airport and you can walk to restaurants, the Epicenter and things like the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

The dreaded downside.....I was on floor 24 (there are 25 floors) and whatever group or conference had booked on that floor had absolutely no respect for others. It was a drunken frat party from 1-4am on the 24th floor. I know the Westin has no control over people's personal behaviors, but they also never sent security (to my knowledge) to contain the situation. The next morning the hallway was littered with trash, champagne corks and unsurprisingly, a red solo cup. If you are in a room, you can clearly hear conversations from the hallway....so the room sound proofing could use some work. I would have given a 5 star rating otherwise....but I demoted it to 4 because of this. Other than 1 sleepless night...the hotel was near perfect.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind review. We are delighted to know you found your stay near perfect! I apologize for the noise issues on your hallway as our security team is usually very much on top of these things. I hope you will stay with us again soon so you can have a truly perfect experience, and no sleepless nights! Be well.
College Station, Texas
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was very tired when I arrived and check-in was so easy. The room is beautiful and very clean. It has everything one would need and is close to the NASCAR museum if you are into that sort of thing. Seeing as I was there for a conference I was a little disappointed with the size of the meeting rooms but all in all this was a great hotel. You can also choose a green option where they won't clean your room and in exchange they give you a $5 voucher/day.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We hope you’ll be back to visit, for work or play, very soon! Be well! – Leo Percopo, General Manager
NY/NJ
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The check-in process was slow as there was a line that took about ten minutes. The room itself was clean and comfortable, no complaints there. However, at breakfast, my associate and I both ordered oatmeal, which came out cold. It took a while to get our servers attention at which time he offered to either give us a new one or just nuke the cold one. We said we didn’t care as we were in a hurry. Needless to say, the oatmeal came back Luke warm at best. Total fail.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, I’m glad you enjoyed your room! However, I apologize we did not exceed your expectations with your breakfast in Ember Grille. We do hope you will dine with us again soon so we can show you a true Ember experience. Thank you again for your review. Be well.