“new ... Lack spirit”

The Westin Charlotte
Ranked #34 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed April 19, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for a night, well the room was actually clean and new, the hotel as a whole is new, but there is not spirit for the hotel, my only problem with the hotel is they don't have overnight service, any hotel that wants to be a player in the business travelers world need to be able to turn back a suit pressed within an hour 24 hours a day " for a premium of course"

away from that the hotel was ok,

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,579)

Reviewed April 6, 2008

I frequently travel for business as well as for weekend leisure trips. The service my gfriend and I received during an April 2008 weekend stay at the Westin Charlotte was disappointing in the following ways (the hotel was clean and recently constructed--the gripe is with the poor service for a hotel at this price point. Felt as if the hotel was still in its initial ramp-up stage, with employees not rehearsed at serving guests):

--Confusion as to room rates upon check-in; multiple front desk reps required to sort it out.
--Had called ahead for refrigerator--was not in room upon arrival
--Room service promised 30 minutes or less on the phone. After 30 minutes, we received call telling us our dish was out of stock, would require another 30 minutes to prepare new order. New rep told us the previous one should never have promised 30 mins.
--Housekeeping knocked at 9am on Sunday morning, the day of our checkout
---No Do Not Disturb sign to be found
--Front desk / concierge did not pick up phone on two occasions, sending us to hotel "voicemail."
--Table service at the bar restaurant was non-existent unless sought out by customer
--Only full service hotel without shuttle from airport
--$5 surcharge to use fitness facilities

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NortheastBusLeisure
Reviewed March 29, 2008

The Westing downtown Charlotte is the best! I have been staying here since it opened. Rooms are great, the staff is very interested in making your stay a good one.

Close to everything downtown. I work generally in the Wachovia or Bank of America buildings when in town on business. Rooms are plenty big, weight room is great.

Bar 10 is good some nights. During BBALL season you will see Jordan here often. Many of the visiting teams playing the BOBCATS stay here. Not a big fan of EMBER Grille but to each his own.

I am a Platinum Starwood member. My only complaint is I never have water in my room.

If dining out check out

HOM
Cannes

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Booked with Orbitz at great rate of $122. Had stayed here before, but was disappointed this time at dirty carpeting and incredible noise all night - loud voices and doors opening and closing that sounded like they were right in our room! Twice I tried to call the front desk and got a recording. Had to stand in line for over ten minutes to complain the next morning, receiving little response beyond a "sorry." And finally, the hotel charged my credit card for the room (in addition to the incredible $16 parking charge) even though I had already paid through Orbitz! They said they corrected it when I called them, but even that took hours to complete and you won't believe the message you get when you call their accounting department.

To be fair, check in went quickly, the bed was comfortable, the linens nice, the bathroom clean, the in-room coffee good. Windows do not open and there is no ventilation in bath, so room is stuffy always and foggy when showering.

Bottom line: last time I stay there.

The one GOOD thing was finding a new restaurant, Feast, located nearby on 5th St. Fabulous food, incredible decor, fair pricing - a really exciting addition to the Charlotte landscape!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jude48
Reviewed March 22, 2008

This was my first time in Charlotte and I got the Westin off of Hotwire for $129. Overall, I loved the Westin and enjoyed my experience.

When I walked in, I was warmly greeted and quickly assisted. I booked through hotwire and I was placed on the 22nd floor out of 25. My boyfriend ordered flowers for me as a surprise and had the placed in my room. I think that because of this we were upgraded from the 12th floor to the 22nd. Either way, the view was gorgeous. (We were up at 6am and saw the sun rise.)

The beds were so comfy and the shower has dual shower heads which you can adjust separately and move separately.

I'm not sure if this was normal procedure or not, but within an hour I was called several times by the concierge desk asking if my stay was comfortable and if everything was to my liking!!! Nice touch. When I called the front desk, I was addressed by my name even though I hadn’t stated it. We stepped out for an hour and when we came back (@ 7pm), they had closed the blinds, left mints on the bed, and some strawberries, chocolate pudding, and a card that read "Ms. X, I hope that you are enjoying your stay. Concierge Desk, The Westin" and it was signed by three or four people. The only downside was waiting for a new iron that did not arrive before I left for dinner reservations, but it was in the room when we came back from dinner.

I loved this hotel and would go again!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2008

The Westin is in the middle of uptown Charlotte and is close to the Bobcats arena and next door to the convention center. Staff were nice but not always the most knowledgeable. The rooms were tiny for Charlotte and the parking was a bit on the pricey side for uptown. The heavenly bed was just as described, overall this is a really great hotel, but the tiny rooms keep it from being all that it can be.

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Very nice westin, right next to the convention center.
Plus: no line at checkin. plenty of water pressure. Nice view from the room. Very clean hotel and room. Wired and wireless internet.

Cons: $10/day for internet. Coffee in lobby only available until 11am, even on weekends. Room ventilation was less than ideal... a shower steamed up the entire room for awhile.

The fitness center charges a fee, but they were kind enough to let my son take a shower there even after we had checked out of the room.

Overall, I'd happily stay here again if I had business/pleasure at the convention center.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family