“Classy & Convenient”

Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Charlotte, NC
“Classy & Convenient”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Westin Charlotte is a great place to stay in the Uptown area. The hotel itself is elegant and sophisticated. The rooms are furnished in a sleek, modern style and the lobby, lounge and restaurant areas are equally classy. The hotel even smells amazing! I am not sure what scent they use, but it smells fresh, clean and relaxing. The hotel is incredibly convenient to any Uptown Charlotte attractions - you are within a few easily walkable blocks of any business, restaurant or venue.

I would highly recommend staying here if you have any upcoming business or pleasure in Charlotte.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WestinCharlotte, General Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your 5-Star review! We do enjoy the White Tea scent through-out our hotel and are glad you did too! We hope to see you back again very soon! Be well!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
North Carolina
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Charlotte Westin last night to attend a conference that took place today. The hotel location is excellent, right in uptown, next to the Charlotte Convention Center. Easy walking distance to many dining and entertainment venues. Parking in the adjacent parking deck is convenient, and valet is also available, if desired. The hotel is a basic Westin, which is a fairly reliable product. The lobby area is fine. Check-in was easy. Staff is pleasant.

The room was a standard king room, and was pretty spacious. It had the usual amenities, including a good sized closet with iron and ironing board. Fridg stocked with what I assume are over-priced beverages. I didn't open it to see. In-room coffee maker with Starbucks coffees and a selection of Tazo teas. The bathroom was basic. Tub-shower combo, improved by an overhead rain-shower head and hand held shower head as well, and good water pressure. The hair dryer was a real blow dryer, not the mounted on the wall type, and it was fine. Bath products - soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion -were good quality. There was no shower gel.

The bed and bedding, which is promoted to be better than others in the industry was not impressive to me, but do realize that bed comfort is very subjective. I think the mattress was fine, no better or worse than Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn. I woke up several times during the night with a sore neck, sore back, etc, but that often happens to me when I sleep in any bed that isn't my own. It did feel very comfortable when I first laid down. The sheets, however, were extremely coarse and rough, to the point that it made my skin itch where pressure points pressed on the bottom sheet. These may be "high quality linens" in the sense that they were 100% cotton, densely woven and thick and heavy, but I did not find the course, nubby fabric pleasant at all. The duvet cover was smooth and I suspect cotton-poly blend. It was very hot under the duvet and cold if just under the sheet. I have the same problem with my down comforter at home, but I have a thinner quilt layer under it so that if I am too hot, there is a medium level before getting down to just the sheet.

In general, the room was clean, except the toilet, which is a deal-breaker. When I entered the bathroom for the first time, the toilet lid was down. I was a little dismayed when I lifted the lid to find that the toilet contained urine and toilet paper that had not been flushed. The trash had been emptied, the tub looked clean, and there were fresh towels, but it was pretty obvious the toilet hadn't been cleaned. That was kind of disturbing.

Overall, the hotel was just ok. It lowered my general opinion of Westin a notch or two. I did not feel that it offered anything above the quality of a less expensive chain hotel, such as Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, or Marriott. If I chose this particular hotel in the future, it would be for the location, or for an event being held there.

Here is a tip: I believe wi-fi is available in the room for a charge, something like $12.95. I was going to purchase it, but when I went on my iPad to connect to the network, the in-room wi-fi came up with 2 bars of signal, and the free lobby wi-fi had 3 bars of signal in my room on the 13th floor. I just used the lobby wi-fi that night and the next day during the conference, and it was great signal and speed at no additional charge.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your thorough feedback. We are delighted to know you enjoyed many things about our hotel but are disappointed that we were unable to exceed your overall expectations. We do hope you will stay with us again soon so we can show you a true Westin experience. Be well.
NC
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Great location and service as you would expect from a Westin property. Staff were all very pleasant, willing to help with any request and always greeted me with a smile, making you feel welcome and appreciated. Everything was clean and well kept. Rooms were standard size but very clean and had everything I needed. Beds are quite comfortable. Internet access was easy, free and speed was surprisingly fast. Attached parking garage was convenient but little pricey at eighteen dollars. Would definately stay again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your excellent review! We hope to see you back again very soon!
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here over NYE for a concert. We're SPG gold members, so we got an upgraded room on the preferred SPG level. First thing I noticed walking in the hallway to our room...stunk like mildew. Then when i got to our room...smell was still there so I called to switch rooms. Long story short...
The bed was your typical westin heavenly bed, so very comfy...view was decent for a high floor. But the room itself jsut wasn't up to your nice Westin level. Neither was the front desk.
There was no SPG preferred line/section at the front desk...those added touches are what makes it worth being a higher level SPG member.
Overall...it was ok...but they could improve many things.
Rooms were kind of dated looking...and the bathroom amenities and setup was very archaic.
Maybe i'm becoming a hotel snob...but either way...I would definitely say this is a middle of the road hotel.
the location is pretty good though..right in the middle of everyhting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We’re glad to know our convenient location made your stay more enjoyable and that our Heavenly Beds left you feeling well-rested. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve the overall guest experience. Be well!
San Dimas, California
Reviewed January 24, 2013

From the doormen to the front desk staff, everyone made me feel welcomed to the hotel when I arrived. I was able to check in early and was pleasantly surprised that they have town cars available for guest use. The room was spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. We were just blocks away from a huge selection of restaurants and 6 blocks away from Time Warner Center Arena. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your excellent review! We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you back very soon!
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my daughter for a cheer competition at the Convention Center. We had high expectations, and this property delivered.

Location: There is a large parking garage conveniently located adjacent and beneath the hotel. The convention center is directly beside the Westin, so you just cross the street.

Lobby: Spacious and pretty decor. There is a Starbucks in the hotel directly behind the lobby.

Check-In: Despite the fact that there were hundreds of little cheerleaders buzzing about the hotel, staff was friendly and helpful, and made the check-in process quick and efficient.

Rooms: We had an King bed end unit. It was spacious and featured a beautiful bathroom with sunk in tiled tub, and rain simulated shower all enclosed with large glass does. That area featured a large picture window which gave a great city view. There were also very good views from both windows in the sleeping area. The room is nice; not really luxurious for Westin standards, but adequate for a nicer hotel.

Room Service: We ordered in the first night. Our food was above average and served by a very nice staff member. Additionally our order came within just 25 minutes.

Concierge: I discovered early on the first morning that we forgot a clothing item for the competition, and called downstairs. The At Your Service lady was very helpful, first calling the gift shop to see if they carried what I needed, then assisting me with directions and hours for the Target, which is about 1 1/2 miles away. This saved the day for us. Additionally when we were ready to go to the convention hall, extra staff members were placed in the lobby and near exits to ensure that the cheerleaders made it to the appropriate locations.

Overall, my daughter and I had a fantastic stay due to the attentive service and nice atmosphere at this location. As a normally loyal Marriott goer, I was impressed by this Starwood affiliated property. We will definitely stay here again!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank so much for your kind and thorough review of our hotel! We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay! We hope your daughter did very well at competition and we hope to see you all back again very soon! Be well!
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed for a cheer competition. Was not a friendly greeting by the front desk staff. Heaven help you if you pay for anything with cash, they do not know what to do with it! Front desk staff was not happy to be greeting a bunch of cheer parents and it was obvious. We received a group rate and by the attitude of the front desk staff, you would have thought that the ones was coming from their own pockets! The room was minimally stocked for a family of four and minimally cleaned. No point in complaining because we were told that the hotel was sold out which was not a surprise. The inside pool is not child friendly and there is no hot tub. The location is nice but I think we will stay four blocks away at the Marriott in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We apologize we were unable to exceed your expectations during your recent stay with us. We hope you will chose to stay with us again in the future so we can show you a true Westin experience. Be well.