“Overall a great stay, a few minor things”

The Westin Charlotte
Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Drove in with a loaded vehicle going north from my beach house. The first person I meet is the most charming wonderful gentleman from Togo (so sorry to have forgotten his name) who couldn't do enough to help me secure my vehicle, manage my luggage, speak to me in excellent French and would absolutely not accept a gratuity for his exceptional assistance. WOW. Genuinely friendly and efficient welcome at the front desk, right down to them stashing my overnight bag left behind in my haste behind the desk (whew). Too tired to go out I opted for going to the lovely bar and decided to have a 3 course meal at the bar. Okay...hotel Manager beware, you have a STAR in that exceptional Jarrel, absolutely top notch bar tender AND server. I would ear mark him for training him UP through the hotel ranks, he so GETS the concept of first class SERVICE. I had a delicious meal with obviously house made tomatoe basil soup, a lovely herb roasted chicken and delicious apple gallette (truth be told though you can MUCH improve that not so "classic" caesar salad...where oh where does anyone put tomatoes and olives on a "classic caesar"? Lettuce was a tad old and swimming in dressing. The rest of the meal was perfect however. One thing I did note with some considerable dismay was a server putting her BARE FINGERS right into the condiment jars for drink garnish. Mentioned that to Jarrel and he was on it in a flash with admonishment to the server (tongs were right there)...Patrick the new FSM, PLEASE consider a food safety course for ALL servers, it is SO important these days. Nice glass of port on the fabulous patio then off to a great heavenly bed sleep.
The hotel did a lovely job of de-feathering my deluxe room but in the morning I was dismayed to see a strands of long black hair (definately not my "artic silver) on the shower wall. EWWWW. Front desk, again remarkable about it. It happens I guess but how that was missed by housekeeping I'll never know.
I do love this hotel despite there being no Club lounge, the hotel management obviously knows how to motivate staff to deliver exceptional genuinely friendly service and they are lucky to have that staff. It's an easy on/off the highway and so nice. I will always go out of my way to stay at this Westin.........minor glitches and all. Salute to this Westin!

Room Tip: I had a grand deluxe room, with great view near the elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
WestinCharlotte, General Manager at The Westin Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review! Your feedback is much appreciated. I will make sure each associate you mentioned sees your kind words. Merci Beaucoup!

There are newer reviews for The Westin Charlotte

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Superb room accommodations, personable, efficient, knowledgeable desk staff and hotel staff, the Westin Charlotte provides the very best in housing. When we traveled to the Westin to celebrate a family birthday week-end for the Bronco-Panther football game on November 11th, we experienced wonderful dining and exceptional room accommodations at reasonable prices. Directions were clear, concise and accurate for our needs. We will definitely bring our family again. Kathleen G.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking a city night view are wonderful.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
WestinCharlotte, General Manager at The Westin Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you, Kathleen for your kind review! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and that your family member’s birthday weekend was a success! We hope we’ll see you and your family very soon!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Came to Charlotte to visit family over Thanksgiving, but was over staying at relatives homes, so got a room at the Westin Uptown to make a fun trip out of it. The common spaces are absolutely gorgeous (if modern minimalist is your style). Awesome building (not yet 10 years old), within easy walking distance to most of uptown, and the Lynx rail system goes through the convention center attached to the hotel. Two drawbacks- $18 per day to SELF-PARK- Huge turnoff (I grew up in Charlotte, and while it has grown, NY it ain't, so this parking fee as a paying guest seemed outrageous). Second, while the bathroom was very nice, with a huge square-foot rain shower head, the tub was a cramped porcelain model that looked like it was taken out of an 80's home bathroom (but great toiletries). What made up for this was the service. The gent who checked us in (name escapes) was great and very friendly, but the person who stood out was the girl working the front desk the day we checked out (Thanksgiving Day), named Sheena. Although it was only her second or third week working, she was knowledgeable, very friendly, and did everything to make us feel welcome. I came down looking for a newspaper (as it would have all of the Black Friday circulars and info about the parade) and delivery was running late. I went back to my room, and in the meantime it was delivered, and she put a copy aside for me in her desk as she knew all the copies would be taken by the time I got down (which they were-another small drawback-even the Hampton Inn delivers papers to their guest's rooms). She was pleasantly effusive in wishing us a Happy Thanksgiving, while I personally would have been in a funk had I had to work that day. Her cheerfulness made up for these minor drawbacks, enough so that I will consider the Westin again (alongside some boutique hotels) while planning my next trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north/city side of building, the higher up the better, for a better view!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinCharlotte, General Manager at The Westin Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your fantastic review! We are delighted to know that our service exceeded your expectations. I’ll be sure to personally thank Sheena for proving you such excellent service. We hope you will be back to visit very soon. Be well!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed in the Westin hotel for a conference this November. The hotel was in a great location and the service was one of the better ones I have experienced. The room was very clean and all of our requests were taken care of in a timely manner. I had an early flight out and did not get a chance to book a shuttle the night before, but the front desk was helpful on a very short notice and within minutes a car was pulled up. The conference hall area was also very clean and nicely decorated and it fitted the needs of our conference.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay and that our team and amenities helped improve your visit. We hope that whether for business or pleasure, you’ll be back again soon! Be well!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I just enjoyed an overnight stay to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The Westin Charlotte is the only place we will stay when visiting Uptown Charlotte. The service is top notch, from the front desk to the car service. We stayed on a preferred floor with a city view. The room was clean and the Heavenly Bed was, well Heavenly. I am already looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Congratulations on your 25th Anniversary! We are so delighted you and your husband chose to celebrate such a momentous occasion with us. Cheers to many more happy years together! See you both back again very soon. Be well!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a very nice hotel located in downtown Charlotte. Restaurants and bars are all within three blocks. My room was clean, fresh and the bed was so comfortable. The fitness room is incredible for a hotel - 6 treadmills 5 ellipitcals weights, etc... The only negative is that parking is a bit expensive, but but it is in the same facility.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your excellent review! We are delighted to know our convenient location and upgraded amenities made your stay more enjoyable! We hope to see you back again very soon!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

The hotel was very well deocorated as were the rooms. We ordered champagne for the room and it took 6 hours to be delivered! They did compliment, which they should have. The halls very very noisy. We were on a perferred customer floor, but it was still loud especially in the late evening. You can hear voices and doors slamming. For a hotel of this quality, that should not happen.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize your champagne came so late and that you experienced loud noises on your floor. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon so we can show you a more refreshing and relaxing time.