“I really liked this hotel”

The Westin Charlotte
Ranked #34 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Wow, just read some of the other reviews, and I must say, I am shocked. I'd been traveling for the previous 10 days and arrived tired and stressed. I thought the hotel was lovely, immediately relaxing and restful. Pristinely clean. Modern high end finishes and furniture. The room was large, quiet. The front desk staff, bellmen, bar staff were friendly and helpful. I had free Internet and free water. The fitness room, pool, and sundeck are stunning. Close to all the restaurants and busy downtown. I was attending a conference in the hotel and the food was incredible, delicious, and almost too pretty to eat. My only compaint, the conference rooms and guest room hallways were so cold it bordered on painful.

Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay. We hope you’ll be back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,592)

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Don't get me wrong, the Westin is a nice hotel, in a good location. For the price I paid, I just feel like some things should have been better. For example, $12.95/day for wifi seems a bit extreme when already paying well over $100 a night for a room. The $18/day parking fee also seems excessive. The air conditioning worked, but not as well as you would expect. It took quite a while to cool the room off. The bathroom cleanliness was questionable, with a couple mystery hairs on the floor and a few drops of liquid of some sort on the toilet seat. We had a large window overlooking part of Charlotte, with a large soapy streak down the center. One thing in our room particularly confused me. In the credenza, there was what appeared to be a mini-fridge, however, on the front it says "this is not a refrigerator." Apparently, you can pay a fee for it to be stocked with beverages or snacks, etc, but it doesn't really get cold. Strangely, in all the hotel literature in the room, its referred to as a refrigerator - go figure. Upon checking in, I headed back to the car to start unloading, and my wife headed up to our room. Since I had the envelope, she only knew what floor the room was on, so she used the courtesy phone in the hallway to speak with the front desk. She told them who she was, and what floor we were on and just needed the room number. She was told to "hold on" for a moment, and then informed that they weren't allowed to tell her that info, despite it had been less than 2 minutes since we first checked in. I realize security is important, but what harm is it to remind a customer what room number is their's, especially so soon after being face to face with the front desk staff? In closing, once again, this is a nice hotel, but if they expect people to pay their prices, they should improve their service and performance and rethink some of their fees.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank awr79
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted that overall you enjoyed our hotel and our location. The next time you stay with us, we invite you to take advantage of our complimentary wi-fi that is available in many public areas of the hotel, including our lobby, Lobby Bar, Bar10 and Ember Grille & Terrace. We also take the safety of our guests very seriously and want to provide the highest level of service as possible while also maintaining guest security. We hope you stay with us again and allow us to exceed your expectations. Be well!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here for a couple of special occasions, including one special memory of late-night Haagen Dazs room service. So, we thought it would be a great place to stay for our two-year anniversary this past weekend. Sadly, it did not turn out quite as expected.

The Good - The Westin is one of the better pieces of architecture in Uptown Charlotte. It is a nice contemporary part of the Charlotte skyline. The location is convenient to the Concention Center, light rail, NASCAR Center, and several good restaurants. The upper floor rooms have some nice views, and the lobby is well-designed, featuring some nice bars and spots to grab food.

The Not-So-Good - The front desk is understaffed and the staff I spoke to did not seem happy to be there. And, if you think you got a fair rate for a room, wait until you get there and see how much else you end up spending. They really nickle and dime you at this Westin - from $20 parking, to $4 for the cheapest available bottled water in the rooms, to the high wi-fi rates. But, if loud hallways are your idea of luxury, you will be in heaven. Both after check-in and before check-out, housekeeping was talking and slamming doors so hard that the headboard in our room shook. Most of all, the reason I was writing this review though is because I called the front desk after arrival to tell them we were celebrating an anniversary and inquire about breakfast, and they never called us back as promised...pretty disappointing all in all.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tlcampbell
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your review. I apologize for any difficulties you experienced during your stay! We love when couples choose Westin to celebrate their special occasions. We are delighted to know you enjoyed the views for our rooms and that our locations made your stay more convenient. I apologize our Service Express® team wasn’t able to get in touch with you regarding breakfast and that noise in our hallway was disturbing. We will use your comments in future training to continuously improve our guest experiences. We hope you will stay with us again and allow us to show you a true Westin experience! Congratulations on your anniversary and cheers to many more wonderful years ahead!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

This hotel is great for business travelers. They have one of the best hotel fitness centers I've experienced. The rooms are nice and clean. I tried the food, nothing spectacular, just normal hotel restaurant quality. The check-in process is hit or miss, depends whos working the desk.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your review! We are delighted to know you enjoy our Westin Workout® fitness center as well as our guest rooms! The next time you’re here, try our Shrimp & Grits at Ember Grille & Terrace, they are award winning and one of our guests favorites! We will see you soon!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

The Westin is located next to the Convention Center and is a lovely property. It has a good gym and lap pool. The rooms are comfortable and bathroom amenities quite nice. Staff is very friendly and helpful. The onoly thing about the hotel was that the price of meals and cocktails was quite expensive compared to other properties I hve stayed at. The Starbucks in the lobby was good and had god value for breakfast.

Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your review! We are delighted to know you enjoyed our beautiful hotel and that our location made your stay more convenient! We hope the next time you stay with us you will take advantage of our daily 7-7-7 specials. Seven of our most popular menu items are available from 5pm-7pm for only $7. We also offer a daily wine and cocktail special for $7. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Don't stay here unless you're part of a large convention. I was attending a convention and arrived on the 3rd day of the conference as a speaker. It was 2PM (and I'm a Starwood member) and the concierge (who was doubling as check-in) informed me I had to wait another hour for my room. I had to change into my business attire in the locker room of the gym. She was equally unhelpful when I asked for a walking map of downtown Charlotte. I asked her to give me a room away from the elevator, which she did, but it was directly across from an exit stairway which the staff used every 60-90 seconds starting at 5AM. You'd have to pay me to stay here again.

2  Thank Doymo
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your review. Our usual check-in time is 3pm and we try our best to accommodate early arrivals whenever possible. I apologize we were unable to do so on your check-in day. We also do our best to achieve guest requests on room locations. Even though you were as far away from the elevators as possible, it sounds as if our security team was using the stairs near your room. We apologize the noise kept you awake and hope you will in fact stay with us again and allow us to show you a true Westin experience! Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights for a conference . I was taking a red eye flight from the west coast that would put me at the hotel at 7am. I called the hotel and was told that I would have to pay an extra $75.00 for an early check in. When I got there at 7:30am I was immediately. Checked in with no problems or extra charge. I asked for an upgrade and was given a nice room on the 11 floor. No extra charge.
As someone else said there was no book with hotel information or room service menu. I asked at the front desk twice before someone understood what I was talking about.
The gift shop was understocked and overpriced. There is a Rite Aid and CVS close by.
The coffee set up in the room is great. There is the $3.95 bottle of water in the room. Drink the tap water, it is just as good. There was very little noise except around 9am when the maid service started and people were leaving.
It looks like they recently stopped using mini bars. They are in the furniture, but are empty and unplugged. A frig would have been nice to have.
The best part of the hotel are the beds! Wow, very comfy

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor for the view.