“Hotel Updated but still no free breakfast....”

The Westin Charlotte
Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My annual trip to Charlotte and my annual stay at the Westin. They hotel was showing its age last time but now I stayed in a newly remodeled room. The room had the new carpet smell. The location to the convention center is still its primary selling point. However, I still have a few lingering problems. First, a Hotel this size should offer some type of free breakfast and free internet. If the red roof inn can offer these items why not the Westin? The Westin response has always been to join their rewards club. But I don’t stay travel enough to benefit from this.
The show rate was a little higher than last year. I don't usually shop around but I did this time. Close call between the Westin and the Hampton Inn. There is a new entrance to the convention center across the street from the Hampton now. With free breakfast and free parking, the Hampton might be my choice next year. Nothing wrong with the Westin, but I have become accustomed to free breakfast and internet.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank grimston1
WestinCharlotte, Manager at The Westin Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

I’m glad you chose The Westin Charlotte again this year for your annual trip to the Queen City! I hope our refreshed guest rooms left you feeling relaxed and renewed! Next time you’re in Charlotte, I hope you’ll choose Westin again, and will take advantage of our complimentary Wi-Fi in many public areas of the hotel, such as Ember Grille, The Lobby Bar, Starbucks and more. Thank you for your review!

There are newer reviews for The Westin Charlotte

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Bed very comfortable as advertised. My medium filet in Bar 10 (not the bar, that's the higher-end restaurant) was medium-well. $13.95/day for internet. The vendor courting me paid the room charge but I had the bill for in-room breakfast; 1 small pot coffee, 1 yoghurt and berries parfait and 1 glass of skim milk--$41.90, which did not include gratuity for my poor server--shelled out more than $50 for 3 small items! I expect that at the Pierre or St. Regis, NYC, but not at the Westin in Charlotte! Felt better when I moved (on my own nickel) to the Hampton Inn and Suites, Phillips Place (free breakfast and internet).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bilbo8
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Everything is perfect at this hotel. Great rooms, location and customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind review! I’m happy to know how much you enjoyed your stay at The Westin Charlotte! We will have a Heavenly Bed® waiting for you the next time you’re in the Queen City!

Reviewed June 8, 2011

I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with the Westin chain of hotels so to compare this one to others would be difficult. What I can say is that the hotel was conveniently located in downtown (easy to find, easy to access) and that the check-in process went smoothly (friendly, efficient front desk and valet). As for the hotel itself, upon arrival, the glass in the front revolving door was shattered and the door inoperable. There was no one there to open the side door (too busy standing around, shooting the breeze), though they were happy to take my car. The lobby was packed to the rafters (at 11pm) with a noisy, drinking comic book convention and it was almost impossible to converse at the front desk. As for the room, it was "nice" at a glance but the shower heads had rust/scale all over them, the light for the bathroom was annoyingly OUTSIDE the bathroom (I can only imagine the hours of entertainment this would provide a child while their unsuspecting parent were in the shower) and there was no exhaust fan, making it impossibly steamy. Westin should reconsider the Heavenly Bed tag for their mattresses because this bed was miserably uncomfortable for both of us. The bed is also situated under a window so in the morning, even with drapes closed, the light pours over the top of the drapes and right onto your face. Even on a high floor the noise from the city street was noticeable and housekeeping is the next best thing to a wake-up call. They sounded like they were doing construction when cleaning the adjacent room.

So, I'll issue a caveat to anyone reading this review. I'm very spoiled when it comes to hotels. My expectations are extremely high. I was here one night and for a business traveler I'm sure it would be nice. Convenient to downtown, nice desk in the room, etc. I can only offer my observations on the stay and correlate them to my expectations. Notice, I still gave 3 stars. However, issues are issues and if you want to know about a hotel maybe its good to get information from a discerning eye.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mafitch

I’m glad to know you enjoyed the high level of customer service our front desk team provided. Our on-site engineering team is very efficient in getting issues taken care of very quickly, so I’m sorry our door was inoperable upon your arrival. We appreciate your review of our hotel and we will use your feedback constructively. Thank you for choosing Westin!

Reviewed June 4, 2011

Spent a weekend here with my honey, and we were both very happy. The bed is so very very comfortable!!! We did not want to leave the room! We were on the 24th floor and had a large window overlooking downtown Charlotte.... view was nice but we had curtains closed for most of the stay.
Location was great - at the end of the downtown area, near enough to walk and a safe area.
Parking - plenty of it but costly at $12+ a day.
Breakfast Restaurant - waste of money!! you will eat much better at a Golden Coral for much less, so i wouldnt waste your money here.
Lobby Bar - nice, drinks mixed well and not too over priced.
Spa Services - got my honey a therpeautic massage - cost $140 incl tip but well worth the money here!!!
Gym and Pool - never used but was huge!!
Front Desk - at check in and check out staff was friendly, but in between they seemed unfriendly and unwilling to assist. A point to note was, at check in, i asked the young lady if she could confirm that the massage was still good to go, she replied to me "sorry i cant do that, i dont have access to the info, you'll have to call Service Express for that". fair enough but why couldnt SHE pick up the darn phone and call for me?? would have taken her less than a minute, and that would have been the "wow factor" that Starwood wants their employees to deliver!! oh well.

Side note.... Each morning we were woken up by screaming kids or parents in the hallway outside our door...not the hotel's fault but unfortunately an experience we'll always remember - along with all the other good stuff too tho.
I love the westin, and will stay here again if ever we go back to Charlotte.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GlobalJohn
WestinCharlotte, Manager at The Westin Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2011

Thank you for your post! We are happy to know you enjoyed the amenities and features The Westin Charlotte has to offer! Our views are amazing and our newly refreshed guest rooms make the stay more comforting than ever before. We can’t to have the two of you back again!

Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed here for business & conference was located in the hotel. Room was extremely quiet and comfortable after a long day at work. Great location!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This Westin hotel was great. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spotless. The location was great...near the Nascar hall of fame, the Bank of America stadium, and about 5 miles from NoDa. Great fitness area/pool and the staff was great.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

We’re delighted to know you enjoyed your stay at The Westin Charlotte! We’ll have a Heavenly Bed ® waiting for you for your next trip to the Queen City!