“Mean Front Desk Personnel”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Charlotte University Place, NC
Ranked #71 of 183 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The lady at the front desk has a very VERY bad attitude. The room furniture has holes in it, and I could have made a wig out of the amount of hair I found in my bed and in the bath tub. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank SloppyJoe915
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Charlotte University Place, NC, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear Sloppyjoe915,

We want to first say thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. It is our job to make sure your stay was a comfortable and relaxing one and it seems we fell short. These matters have been brought to our managements attention so we can ensure these types of things do not happen again in the future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family and I chose to stay at this location for one night on our way through Charlotte. The hotel's location is convenient to major highways in the University area. The appearance is clean, but the exterior is a little weathered. The lobby and common areans were well kept, and predictible for the Country Inn & Suites chain. The front desk staff seemed to have no motivation, and made no effort to make us feel welcome. The room was clean, and as advertised. The hotel felt empty during our one night stay. I would stay at this location again if the price was right (cheap), and if the stay was only one night. Staff motivation would help the overall experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in January and was surprised to see things had gotten worse than when I stayed 7 months earlier. I was so surprised by the wear of the room I got and the slack front desk staff that I asked if the management had changed since last May. They said it had not. The room I had was well worn in a cosmetic way that could have been easily kept up. The lighting in the room was awful and I really thought I remembered a floor lamp previously in these rooms but the front desk said no. They did respond that maybe the light bulbs were just old. The towels and sheets were quite thin and thread bare. Also sheets and blankets had stains on them, the kind that appear to not wash out. However if they are in that condition then they probably should be replaced. The pipes in the shower area were not well maintained as they were loose in the wall and sometimes made very loud noises when taking a shower. One of the windows in our room was not closed and it took several minutes to get it to lock. Noticed other screens from the outside that were not attached or closed. The room did appear to be clean but the wear and tear made it hard to feel comfortable. The front desk staff seemed to not care at all if you were at their motel or not. The breakfast was the norm for this type of motel but ended a little early for a Saturday morning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Charlotte University Place, NC, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear sunburst83,

We thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We have sent this one to our management team for them to review and make any necessary changes so that future stays with our hotel will prove to be much more relaxing. We do ask that in the future if you are in the area to please give our hotel another as we will continue to make improvements for the future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I took a weekend trip to Charlotte. We chose the Country Inn& Suites based on some of the reviews that I read. The hotel itself was pretty nice. The rooms were clean; the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and clean as well. The only gripe that I had was the front desk staff. When we arrived for check-in, we were greeted by a gentleman...I don't know his name since he didn't have a name tag. He basically gave us our keys and that was it. He didn't tell us where the elevator was...didn't tell us about breakfast...I had to ask what floor our room was on...he didn't offer any information whatsoever. When we checked out, we were met by someone different (again, no name tag) that seemed more concerned with texting than asking about our stay or anything like that. Overall, I loved the hotel, but the customer service skills of the staff really needs an overhaul.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 21, 2013

So the impression as you walk into the front door across the rumpled trip-hazard of a front mat (next to the smoking area ) is that this place needs "something". First impressions ARE everything and I would trust your gut on this one. So If this is your last choice and you don't have a tent and you can get for $35 a night, it might be worth it.

The first thing you notice when you enter your assigned room is the smell of smoke. Although this is a non-smoking hotel, realize that all rooms HAVE been smoked in...if lucky you'll have an ozonator in the room to try to clear it out (NOTE: due to the powerful oxidizing properties of ozonators, they should only be used in empty hotel rooms. Do NOT sleep with this on..it can be dangerous). When the smoke smell is mentioned to the front desk clerk they feign a surprised look and mention that they will look up the previous guest and charge them $150 cleaning charge for smoking in the room. Knowing that the previous occupant would be charged for the smoking violation didn't make me sleep any better in the stinky room (we bought the room on hotels.com which requires pre-payment, so there would be no refund if we opted to not stay here).

The next thing you notice is the condition of typical room appointments such as the couch with the torn upholstery. Unfortunately, you can't flip the cushion because there's a big stain on other side (think NCIS). Other icky items included the iron. The one in our room had the burnt remains of previous customer's clothing on it. Would recommend using a towel on top of clothes to retain their integrity if you absolutely have to use it. The shower flow was okay, but the high pitched whine was annoying (this was an apparent problem in each of the rooms since we could hear the shower from the adjoining room) it kind of sounded like grandpa's malfunctioning hearing aid.

The fitness room is basically a faux gym so they can mark that they have one. It is made up of five low-end cardio machines, of which only two work...
Realize that this hotel has a pool. That means every family with kids or the travel soccer teams WILL be booked here on the weekends and they will run down the hall screaming until they crash and burn from their sugar high.
If you book on line from any site other than the corporate site, expect a lower level of service (and no points).
According to the desk clerk that checked us in, the rooms supposedly were upgraded recently. This idea is ludicrous to us since we can't figure out what they upgraded.

In trying to find SOMETHING good to say, they do provide Pantene hair products in the room and they have a free breakfast. And one of the the desk clerks ("Belle") did her best to try to accommodate us, but she can only work with what they have. We did appreciate the effort though.

So in closing...There are too many other choices in this area that are either of better quality for the same price or same quality and cheaper to stay at than this hole in the wall. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear anonymous196307,

First off please let me tell you how much we appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. The feedback we receive is crucial to us doing our best to maintain a high standard. We will have our management team look into these issues you have brought up so we can work in improving our hotel for our guests. We do ask that if you find yourself in our area again to please stop in so you can see how we work with our customers to make the best improvements.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

My family and I stayed here one night and found this this to be a very comfortable and very welcoming place to stay. Upon arriving "Charles" I think was his name was very friendly and helpful. He checked us into our room quickly and offered directions to the mall. The rooms were very clean although there was some red staining (like kool aid) on the carpet of our room. The bathrooms were very clean and the beds and pillows were excellent. The pool was clean and heated well. The breakfast area was also very clean and a nice breakfast was offered. There were fireplaces in the lobby and the breakfast area and these were a cozy touch. I am particular about cleanliness and this motel passed with flying colors. Will def stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband surprised me with dinner, a movie, a shopping trip to Concord Mills and an overnight stay here at Country Inn & Suites. This area of Charlotte is very busy but this hotel is convenient to everything yet tucked away with a very quiet and relaxing atmosphere. The staff was amazing and very accommodating. The complimentary breakfast was delicious with a very spacious dining area. The suites were also very spacious and roomy. We totally enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple