“Nice place for a decent price”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charlotte University Place
Ranked #87 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
“Nice place for a decent price”
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Good size room with mini fridge and microwave for a good price and not too far from downtown Charlotte. Free continental breakfast was the average you find in most hotels. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was clean but the shower curtain was annoying as it wouldn't stay closed all the way.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Hhbbgg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed here on our way from no to fl for one night. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with our two girls.....they slept on the pull-out and had their own tv while hubby and I had privacy in our room. Nice comfy king size bed. Very clean and new. The girls loved the pool that was half indoor and half outdoor.....real cool for a hotel stay for them :). While at the pool, my hubby found that the tv wasn't working in the front room (not good for it was to be the kids tv) so they immediately gave us a new room next door. Breakfast the next am was nice.....the kids love the make-UR-own waffles;). Why tho can't these hotels offer decent fruit that hasn't been sitting around for days? It is very convenient to anything u need/want....stores, restaurants, etc. Would definitely stay here again. Highly recommend....haven't stayed at a Country Inn yet that we have not liked. We always try to stay with them when we can!

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite was only $10 more than the standard. If travelling with kids, it's soon w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RockinRobin11
Vonore, Tennessee
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Clean, good furniture, quiet--Great rate. Clerk was pleasant and check in was fast. All necesities could be picked up in the surrounding shoping area. This hotel was close to the University area.
/And a 20min drive to down town area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Wickliffe, Ohio
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family and I stayed here on the way to Charleston. Nice, solid hotel. Very convenient to the freeway, and surrounded by plenty of stores and restaraunts. This isn't a top end hotel, but it isn't trying to be. For the money this place is excellent for a family travelling with a couple of little ones. Nice, clean, big room, with a micro and a fridge which is always nice. We had NO PROBLEMS with air conditioning or wireless access as was previously mentioned. The pool is a tad small, but plenty big enough for our needs. The complimentary breakfast is unspectacular, but gets the job done.

This hotel in confirmation of a new philosophy for my wife and I. You don't have to spend big bucks to have a quality stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fairfax Station, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We checked in at 11:00 p.m., having been told over the phone that "we'll get your room ready for you when you arrive!" I walked into our room after checking in, and the room temp was over 90 degrees, and the window a.c. unit was turned completely off. I turned the unit on, and went to talk to the front desk to switch my room. I was told that switching rooms would make no difference because it was "the policy of the hotel that the a.c. units are never turned on, except by the guest when they get to the room", and that I shouldn't worry because "the room would cool off in about a half an hour". Well, two hours later, the room was still very hot with the meager a.c. unit on high. We had a very uncomfortable night, and it never really cooled off until we were leaving the next morning.

What this hotel doesn't seem to understand is the following: (1) even if the ambient air temperature in a hot room is reduced by the a.c. in a few hours, the solid objects in the room (furniture, beds, walls, etc.), having been "heat soaked" for many many hours on a very hot day, will retain their heat much longer, and will radiate that heat until they very slowly reach the temperature of the ambient air. A person in the room will feel this heat (infrared radiation) and will feel and be quite hot (especially while lying in a hot bed) the whole time; (2) when the hotel is lightly rented out (as it was on our visit), the rooms above, below, and on either side will also be in the 90s, and will radiate their heat into the one room that is trying to get cool (care to guess what the R value is for interior walls and ceilings in a typical hotel? It ain't much). So, my measly 5000 btu window unit is not just trying to cool my unit, it is really trying to cool mine and 4 other units at the same time.

Please don't stay here unless you like it hot. In your room. If you're from VA, or TX, or other civilized places where they like they're a.c. to be actually effective, go to the Marriott Residence Inn next door, which I would have done except that they were full.

One last comment. I just have to wonder if the people who established this policy turn their own a.c. off when they leave for work, and only turn it on when they get back in the evening. I'm all for saving energy (although I bet that this hotel's strategy doesn't save a Watt, in the end), but these people are getting the energy saving benefits (if any) while pushing the hardships onto their guests. Doesn't seem very hospitable to me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This was a scouting trip to see if we'd like to live in the Charlotte area; this will be important later.
My wife, our fourteenth month old daughter and my myself were guest at the Inn and it was an average stay.
Half a Con... Breakfast, while great for the baby; was very very simple and just something to get you started in the morning...don't expect more.
We're not 420 friendly; what you do is your business however someone on our floor could/should have just stepped outside so our room didn't ended up reeking from the smoke.
Management reacted quickly and corrected the situation ...after the second offence and day!
The pack and play we were issued was torn and tattered but after a ten hour drive with a 14 month old child you make things work.
BIG CON...wi-fi worked one out of every five times!
I was first told that maybe it was my device and that the bandwidth in the hotel had been increased within the past few day...to what?
WE followed the hotels instructions for my ipad and laptop but noticed people sitting outside and in the lobby...where they enjoying the southern
experience?
Nope, they were trying to find a hot spot!
The Homedepot PARKING LOT had outstanding wi-fi service...we know because that's were we would go download the homes we wanted to see.
Overall it was a good place for the money to stay and I have one last thing. Having a single twenty-five foot indoor pool is great...having three feet of that same pool extend outside and saying you have an indoor/outdoor pool is stretching the truth just a little!

Room Tip: If you need a clean place to stay that will not break the bank... this my be an option for you. walm...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank newdaddy56
Durham, NC
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I liked the flat screen TV. Walls are thin between rooms but I don't think this is unique to this hotel. Turned on the A/C to drown out the neighbors but the A/C unit was loud. The fridge was also really loud. Overall a very basic room but good enough.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple