“The king bed and pillows were extremely comfortable- would buy the bed for my own home”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charlotte University Place
Ranked #91 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Rome, Italy
Reviewed April 5, 2011

On our drive back to Ohio from Spring break in Florida our daughter and her friend stayed overnight at the UNC-Charlotte campus. for a visit with her cousin who is a freshman. My husband and I were very impressed with how comfortable the bed and pillows were- a great night sleep. The font desk was very helpful and the breakfast was good. We would stay again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Toronto, Ohio
Reviewed December 19, 2010

My husband, 1 year old granddaughter and I were traveling to Charlotte, NC as my daughter, son-in-law, and 2 year old granddaughter were arriving from Germany that evening. We were lending them a car for their trip so we reserved 2 rooms at the Country Inn & Suites University Place
When I made the reservations I forgot to mention that we would like to have adjourning rooms. When my husband checked in, the rooms were at different ends of the same floor. My daughter was getting her bags out of the car and on the way into the hotel decided to check with the front desk and see if there was a closer room available. Lo and behold the room next door was available and was given to us.
The rooms were large and clean. The breakfast the next morning was OK. My only complaint was there were no bananas when we went to breakfast.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
Reviewed August 30, 2010

My husband and I made a last-minute reservation to stay here this past weekend. The gentleman we spoke with on the phone was very helpful and friendly as was their front desk staff on each encounter. The hotel offers a wonderful and reliable transportation service to Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre at a very reasonable rate. Our room was quite spacious with a jacuzzi tub. Everything was extremely clean and quiet. Will certainly be back next time we make it to another concert!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Montvale, Virginia
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Called hotel directly to make reservations. Spoke with "May" at front desk. Gave me a great rate because we were coming in for a funeral. When we arrived May just happened to be at the front desk as well. She was very sweet. Check-in was a breeze.

Room was nice. Nothing special-your average hotel room. It was clean and comfortable and for the price just right for my friend and I. Location is great...surrounded by many restaurants and shopping areas. Also very nice is the hotel sits back in a cul-de-sac which made me feel a bit more safe.

All-in-all our stay was very nice and relaxing. Everything Pro. No cons.

• Stayed August 2010
Iowa
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Arrived at hotel to a friendly and professional desk clerk. She must have been the only one trained in customer service because the service after her was less than stellar. The front desk was rarely attended by anyone and if it was, they were sitting in a corner on a laptop that I am assuming was not hotel related business. Another was seen making out with her boyfriend by one of my colleagues. Another of my colleagues was working out one morning and saw a strange looking man with black jeans that hung down to the middle of his butt, had a chain hanging from his waist and wore a strange, dirty looking hooded sweatshirt. He reeked of smoke and she was scared. Come to find out, it was the front desk clerk for the day. I saw him outside smoking more than I saw him inside doing any work. The workout room did not have a remote for the TV and trying to find someone to ask if it actually worked was futile. There was no hand sanitizer or sanitizer to wipe off the equipment once you were done with it. No clock and no phone for emergencies. There were no towels and the water cooler was empty. They did finally figure it out that it was empty by the 4th day we were there but then there were no glasses. The seat on the recumbant bike was so loose you couldnt even sit on it. The rooms reeked of old smoke and pee. There were ants in my bathroom and in another room that my coworker was in. Another found ants in her bed. Another coworkers' refrigerator didnt work. The free internet room was a joke. One computer didnt even have a keyboard and the other kept freezing up or wouldnt come off of the homepage which was a CI & S hotel reservation site. At the end of the week as we were getting ready to leave, the price that we were quoted was only listed for one day. The rest of the days (4) were listed $10 more. I took it up to the front desk and the manager said that I must have not mentioned the discount when I booked or I did it online. I told him no that I had confirmed that with his reservation staff there at the hotel. He said he would adjust it and bring it back to my room. When I got the corrected bill back, he had only took off $40 and ignored taking off the rest of the taxes that came with the extra charge on the rooms on the original bill.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
countryinngm, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, February 4, 2010
We take comments as yours seriously! I’d like to discuss your experience with our hotel. I can be reached directly at the hotel by calling 704-549-8770 (or) in email at cx_chuv@countryinns.com. I look forward to speaking with you” Warm regards, Sam Ali, General Manager.
Clayton, NC
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I am glad I didn't pay more than I did. The breakfast area only has one waffle maker so there is a long wait for waffles. Most of the cereals/oatmeals/juices were off brands. They were out of skim milk and yogurts. Serve times ends at 9:30 which is too early. The room was clean with a soft bed. There was no counter area in our bathroom and toilets backed up easily. The ceilings are very low and either no a/c or just not running a/c in the common areas so it was hot. The pool is small (partially in & partially out) and it is NOT heated! The night staff spend more time talking on their cell phones than assisting guests. Only one working computer in business center and it had a virus and was basically unusable.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed March 27, 2009

The hotel elected to rent out a 'meeting room' directly under our room for a party, resulting in music so loud that our windows and mirrors were vibrating in the room. When we called the front desk, and tried to communicate over the noise, they responded by treating us like we were being a nuisance. I needed to be up at 5 AM, but the blaring music made sleep impossible. Really sad, because otherwise, the hotel would have been a decent deal. I received an apology from the manager stating "We inform everyone that we do not allow loud music but sometimes people don't listen" - I felt this a lame excuse. The party had an amplified sound system, and we could here the music from the main road, 1/4 mile away when we pulled in. The management just chose to ignore the noise.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business