“Excellent place to drink good margaritas and cold beer but food not so good”
Review of La Paz - CLOSED

La Paz
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Charlottetowne
Reviewed February 8, 2013

OK as a senior capt i have changed my rating criteria to only giving positive reviews for restaurant hotels that deserve good reviews. Unfortunately this restaurant made me change to also reviewing the ones that are TERRIBLE.
Good service
Horrible LOUD OBNOXIOUS NOISY BAR AREA that transcends to the restaurant
Not the kind of atmospherics you need after working a trade show for 10 hours
So hears the deal on the food it is unhealthy crap .cheeeze on cheese and SALT galore.
Go here for the drinks but skip the chow because its not healthy or very good.
Hate to give these folks a bad rating but its well deserved since Mexican food is not complicated to cook .

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Let me start by saying that this is one of my favorite mexican restaurants in Charlotte in terms of the quality of food. Their tacos and chimichangas are both excellent and we also enjoy their chips and various dips. They've also got a perfect location with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating. But unfortunately that all means nothing when the service is as bad as it is! I hate writing negative reviews (see my other reviews, mostly glowing) but this place deserves the negative publicity. We recently celebrated my wife's birthday at La Paz and it was a disaster. The waitress was very sarcastic from the moment we sat down and did as little as possible to help us make our dinner selections. Over half the orders came out wrong (not sure if it was her error or the kitchen's) and then she completely botched the billing. We had entrees and drinks show up on the wrong receipts (only 3 couples ordering, pretty straight-forward you would think) and she was openly arguing with us when we politely and calmly pointed out the mistakes. We assumed a manager would come out and assist her in diffusing the situation, but we had no such luck. We all left shaking our heads in disgust that such good food could be wasted by a lack of customer service. I called back a few days later and spoke to the owner who was very apologetic and offered to have us back, with him picking up the tab. A few weeks later, my wife and I took him up on his offer and went back on a Saturday night (the place was nearly completely empty at 7 pm, not a good sign). We each just ordered a simple entree and the food was again excellent. Our waitress was much better but nothing to rave about. I don't think this place will last too long in such a high-rent location unless they dump the wait staff and a good bit of the management as well.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We went there tonight to celebrate a birthday. We had a table of 8. A 20% gratuity was added to each check. The waitress was a little ditsy- after dinner, she asked each of us what we had so she could prepare the checks. Her service was as ditsy as she is and absolutely mediocre. . She got her automatic 20% gratuity and some of us left additional tips. Some of us didn't. After we had all paid, she came over and told us that we had wasted her time. She was upset at the tip amount. She wasn't worth ANY tip, let alone the automatic 20% (plus more) that she got. And that attitude puts it over the top. . The manager said that he would speak to her. I am still waiting for an apology. I'll never go back there.

2  Thank MG1532
Reviewed August 24, 2012

La Paz was a great location for our recent birthday party. Taylor and the team do a wonderful job. Good food and service.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I was a little disappointed in my experience at La Paz. I guess I was expecting really great Mexican food, but what I got was just all right. Nothing special. But there was a lot of it! Service was excellent.