“Surprisingly poor Springhill Suites”

SpringHill Suites Charlotte Airport
Ranked #98 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Surprisingly poor Springhill Suites”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stay at Marriott properties almost exclusively and have stayed in Springhill Suites on many occasions. We were shocked at the quality of this hotel. The rooms seemed much smaller than usual, quite plain, and the decor looked old. Something used to clean the room had a very strong odor and my pajamas smelled so strongly of it by the morning that I had to wash them.
We also ended up in a room in the front of the hotel with exterior lights on poles brightly shining all night. The curtains did not block the light well. The heat/A-C unit did not operate well.
If I had been blindfolded and taken there I would have sworn it was not a Marriott. This hotel is definitely not up to their standards.
I gave it two dots because the lady who ran the breakfast area was wonderful. She took the time to wash the apples and wrap them individually in plastic. I appreciated that.

Room Tip: Find out if there is an exterior light shining at the level of your room and avoid that room. Stay...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travel201102
SHSCharlotteAirport, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your stay. We aim to provide superior customer service and accommodations and it is disappointing to hear we failed to do so during your visit.
Our goal is to have a fresh but neutral smell in the room when you arrive instead of an overpowering odor. I have spoken with our Housekeeping Manager and done re-training with our staff to avoid this from happening with future guests.
Also, we are supposed to have the heavy black out curtains in each room. These should have been heavy enough to block out all exterior lights. We will do a sweep in our rooms to make sure that they all have them.
Also, I want to thank you for recognizing our Breakfast Attendant, Angela. She is a super star in our breakfast area and always makes guests feel like they are at home.
I hope that you will come visit us again and see that this experience does not reflect our standards. Thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention and hope to see you on your next visit to Charlotte!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I spent a night at the SpringHill Suites near the Charlotte airport for business. I was traveling with a colleague and we commented to each other prior to check-in, "we've never had a bad experience at a SpringHill Suites." We should have saved that statement until after staying at this hotel. First, the positive - service - from the guy at the front desk to the really friendly woman working the breakfast buffet. The staff that I encountered were quite helpful. However, the room was so-so. It was rather dated compared to every other SpringHill Suites I've ever stayed at. The public areas were more or less updated, however. The workout room was very small. If you need to stay near the airport I guess this is an okay place to stay. However, the next time I'm in Charlotte I will try another property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeepyg
New Jersey
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were only in Charlotte one night and needed to be near a certain location, so we selected The Springhill Suites at the airport, for location, price and the reviews we had read on Trip Advisor.

I am a Marriott Rewards member and was acknowledged as such upon arrival, which was nice, as a lot of hotels don't bother noting their reward club members. We had a king room. There was a sofa bed when you walked in the door. Across from that there was a sink, microwave, refrigerator, long desk. There is also a ceiling fan in this "kitchen" area.

There is a small table across the end of the sofa with a TV that swivels so that you can see it from the sofa or the bed in the next area. The bathroom sink area is separate from the tub and toilet, which we like so someone can be showering, while someone else is at the sink or mirror.

The bedroom area has two small end tables on either side of the king bed and a closet. Plenty of space for two of us. We were only staying one night, but I noted that if we were staying longer, there really is no drawer space for clothes. There are two small drawers in each of the two night tables and a very small drawer in the TV stand. Perhaps they could replace that TV stand with a piece of furniture that had at least two ample drawers. The closet had plenty of room to hang numerous items. The room just lacks drawer space.

The staff was very nice and helpful.

There was a review that complained about the airport noise. I can't say that I even noticed the planes. I usually keep the fan running on the HVAC unit and the low hum of the fan helps to keep out other noises.

Would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ArcheryFamily-NJ
Long Island
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Clean hotel, close to airport and highway, beds are comfortable basic hotel but great staff. I stayed for 3 nights for a business meeting. From the shuttle driver to the desk people, housekeeping staff, each employee I came in contact with went out of thier way to greet you and accomodate. I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MrsHeartRN
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Found the staff friendly, but small lobby. Hotel was fairly clean, but rooms were dated and cheaply done, tub leaked and dripping was impacting bathroom wallpaper and drywall. I reported it but nobody ever responded over the 5 days I was there. Bed was good, not great.. Found the air conditioner very noisy and went on-and-off almost every 5 minutes. Room was large with a nice-sized desk, couch, and bar. Good layout, and comfortable for a one week stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gfp76
Hamilton Ontario
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Front Desk was very friendly upon arrival. They were quite busy, yet the staff did a great job making us feel welcome. This Springhill provides courteous service and was clean. Rooms are the standard Springhill layout, but spacious. Great for a quick stop over and I'd certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mrmusic4ads
Colorado Springs
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised on a recent trip to Charlotte. As a Marriott Gold Elite member I stay in a lot of Marriott hotels, but the SpringHill in Charlotte was one of the best I have been to. The staff is FRIENDLY, helpful and fun. Not only was the room VERY big for the price, the staff had me laughing during each interaction, especially at breakfast. I was treated as "one of the family." As a frequent business traveler it is nice to experience something special. Maybe it was just southern hospitality or maybe the SpringHill Charlotte Airport was just a little different.

Room Tip: Anything room that faces the highway, you WILL hear the trucks...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business