“The entire Miracle Plane is there!!!”

Carolinas Aviation Museum
Ranked #10 of 183 things to do in Charlotte
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I went here to pass the time before my flight back to NY and did not know the plane was there. I heard one of the survivors of the Miracle on the Hudson was there and I like to look at old planes. When I got in, I could not believe my eyes. This historic event is completely documented along with various artifacts from the flight donated by the insurance company. The plane is virtually intact but cannot be entered. Absolutely amazing. It should have been in NY, but I'm glad they preserved it here.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

This museum was expanded a few years and they brought in the Miracle on The Hudson plane. A fun place to visit for a couple of hours if you are in the Charlotte, NC area.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Took my in-laws for a day trip and we were all amazed by the models and especially seeing the "MIracle on the Hudson" US Air plane. This was no longer just a news item. It was real and I couldn't help but think of how I would have acted had I been on this plane.
The self guided tour takes 1 to 2 hours depending on how long you linger but worth the price of admission. It is time well spent to learn about our aviation history.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I'm a pilot, avionics engineer, and just overall an aviation nut. I generally try to stay away from museums, except for the aviation kind. And I've been to quite a few of those.

With that said, Carolinas Aviation museum leaves a lot to be desired. With such a name and the fact that the first flight [arguably] occurred in NC, I was excited to check it out and really felt bummed when I showed up there at 3:30 (and they close at 4). Still, I decided to go ahead and pay $12 (they actually charge tax on top of the ticket price, so it is $12.87 - I don't remember that at any other museum).

And half an hour is just about enough time to see everything there… It really is just a big (non air conditioned) hangar with about a dozen and a half airplanes inside. The Miracle on the Hudson exhibit takes up the majority of the space and is ok, but not very exciting (coming from a non-participant of that flight).

What irked me the most is the static display they have on the ramp outside - it's small with just a few more planes, but the kicker is that you can't go there. All you can do is look at them through the fence. When I mentioned this, the excuse was TSA regulations… why not put the fence on the other side of the ramp and let the people actually see those airplanes, like every other museum out there? It's a museum, not a zoo after all.

So yea… worth visiting? Maybe if you are in the area and have time and $12 to spare. Otherwise, there are lots more other things to do in Charlotte.

2  Thank NotSupposedTo
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We were visiting relatives in the Statesville area and decided to visit the museum on a rainy day. The museum is very small, so if you're expecting something like the National Air and Space Museum you'll be disappointed. Plan to spend 1-2 hours here. We were there 2 hours and that was ample time to view and read about all the planes on display. We enjoyed learning more about the "Miracle on the Hudson" US Airways plane and Captain Sully, which is the museum's prime display. There were several planes outside, but you have to view them through a chain-link fence. It was $12 for myself, $10 for my elderly step-father and $8 for my 12 year old plus 7.25% tax, so it is a bit overpriced for what it is. We went during the week and there were only a couple other people there. We had a couple of days of rain, so it was nice to get out of the house and do something, but there is no need to visit again.